PB Maine-Anjou Cow & Heifer Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

AAOK

Reaction score
KalliandHeiferCalf004.jpg

Kalli is a nine year old Purebred Maine-Anjou Cow; former Show Heifer. Her Purebred MA Heifer calf is three days old in this picture. Kalli was shown 44 times in the 1997-98 show season. Her record was 38 times 1st. in Class, 21 times Champion or Reserve. Her greatest victory was at the 1998 Maine-Anjou National Junior Show in Sioux Falls, SD. where she was named Reserve National Champion High Percentage Female, and National Grand Champion Bred and Owned Heifer.

This is only her third heifer calf. Her first we kept, the second we sold as a show heifer, which was not shown as much as we hoped, but did very well, never placing below 1st. in her class.

Kalli is what I think of as an Ultimate Cow. She weighs approx. 1800lbs. and is a very easy keeper. Always raises a great calf. Disposition is AAA+++, and so are all of her calves.

Tell me what you think. I know that the Maine-Anjou breed is not spoken of very kindly by many on these boards.

I had no idea that I lived next to such a noted celebrity :eek: . I don't know to much about the breed, exept that I thought they were only red, but the for years I thought that limos were only red :oops: Congradulations one your prize winning program, keep up the good work.
Mac
From Galey OK.

I always liked Maines. Have a few but they were never shown. I do have a few hang ups with some of mine in the past. Had some feet and leg problems after they were turned out. Seems they had to much to carry even tough they apeared to have enough bone. The 140 lb calves really sucked. I still love my Maine girls but probly will not purchase any more. good luck on yours.

~

Congrats on the new calf.

I like that green grass too.

I am not familiar with that particular breed as there doesn't seem to be any in my neck of the woods, but I sure wouldn't mind having THAT cow in my herd if she has had a live calf every year and has made you some good folding money to boot.

Is she really 1800 lbs ?

What has the weaning wts been on her last few calves ?

Wish you continued success in the show ring and in the pasture.

Scotty,

140 lb calves ?

Out of the same bull ?

How many of those have you had ?

Yikes.

I feel the pain.

Scotty":rim3wc1w said:
I always liked Maines. Have a few but they were never shown. I do have a few hang ups with some of mine in the past. Had some feet and leg problems after they were turned out. Seems they had to much to carry even tough they apeared to have enough bone. The 140 lb calves really sucked. I still love my Maine girls but probly will not purchase any more. good luck on yours.

I got into the Maine-Anjou breed in 1989, when most of them were red, but most were breeding for Black.

My only experience with foot or leg problems has been a couple with Corkscrew Hoof. Hoof Triming once a year took care of that.

We have never had a 100lb. calf. The largest has been a 90lb. heifer (twice). Over the past 15 years, our calves have averaged Heifers - 74lbs., Bulls - 78lbs. I AI breed only, and never have a concern with BW EPD. I also feed a little extra grain right up to delivery.

CowCop":1h098yr3 said:
~

Congrats on the new calf.

I like that green grass too.

I am not familiar with that particular breed as there doesn't seem to be any in my neck of the woods, but I sure wouldn't mind having THAT cow in my herd if she has had a live calf every year and has made you some good folding money to boot.

Is she really 1800 lbs ?

What has the weaning wts been on her last few calves ?

Wish you continued success in the show ring and in the pasture.

Yes, she is at least 1800lbs.

205 Day weights have never been under 600lbs., but I creep feed everything.

Thanks. My showgirls are gone. I just sell 'em now. Haven't sold a calf the sale barn in five years.

CowCop":3h0d9cku said:
~

I am not familiar with that particular breed as there doesn't seem to be any in my neck of the woods,

Didn't find any AMAA members in Vermont, but there are some in New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Maine.

I have a Sister who lives in Barnard, Vermont.

Tell me what you think. I know that the Maine-Anjou breed is not spoken of very kindly by many on these boards.

I think too many Maine breeders are breeding for the show ring. I know you get more rain over on the east side of I35 than we do on the west side, but I'm not sure that an 1800 lb cow is practical in a commercial operation. And if she only gets you 600 lb weaning weights.....

There's a lot of money to be made in the show business, but the traits that show people look for, hair, bone, style, aren't what a commercial buyer looks for when he buys a bull. And the commercial bull buyer will make or break your operation.

Pretty animals, though. Good luck...

AAOK":m53zfkag said:
CowCop":m53zfkag said:
~

I am not familiar with that particular breed as there doesn't seem to be any in my neck of the woods,

Didn't find any AMAA members in Vermont, but there are some in New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Maine.

I have a Sister who lives in Barnard, Vermont.

Beautiful area there.

Does your sister also have the cow addiction ? :D

Perfect area for a few dozen good looking head.

I was going to buy some fullblood maines in australia but found all the breeders had low numbers of cattle they where not selling many bulls, the breed was once with the shorthorn society, they blended maine genetics in with shorthorns to give us the shorthorns we see today, AMH released a report not giving the breed a good wrap also. which didnt help there cause. :(

Latest posts