Pay no attention to this post

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43":2u29hzba said:
How many cubic feet in a hole 8 ft deep x 30 in circumference , I presume you will backfill with cement,

Yeah we filled em with concrete, put as many cubic feet in as took to make em full.

cowboy43":1uj525qh said:
How many cubic feet in a hole 8 ft deep x 30 in circumference , I presume you will backfill with cement,

That involves some of that "pie are square" math, which I never was any good at, because I always thought that pie are round and cornbread are square.

I worked for the electric coop and ran the digger truck, flint rocks are so bad thru Bastrop and Caldwell counties it was hard to dig a hole , as the bit was pulled out the rocks would slough off the sides and backfill the hole. A lot of loose material would end in the bottom of the hole, the pole was set on top of the loose material, when the rains came the pole would sink down to hard ground. It wasn' t spec. But we worked with what we had and got the job done.

They get pretty particular about the specks on these ballfields. Guy in the chartreuse shirt is the construction inspector and the baseball coach. They bought him a New tape measure and man was he proud of it. Pretty good guy overall though. I poured 6" of sackreet mixed real wet in the bottom of the holes. Let it sit 24 hours and put the post in . Besides the big post I had several hundred regular fence post to set.
I just ordered a full truck, set the big post and poured the rest out setting fence post.

If you do have to figure your concrete. Here is the secret.

Ask the concrete company. They will do it for you.

Fenceman, I'm not sure this is the right thread but at this point I don't think it much matters so here I go. What's your recommendations for setting wood post corners (probably cut up light poles) in a real flat swampy area that floods pretty much every winter?

Jmj the most important thing is set em as deep as you can stand to. In soft ground it helps a lot to bell out the bottom of the holes. Get the wood completely covered in concrete. Concrete or gravel under the post. And a domed top.on top of the pier above grade to shed water away from post.

That's kinda what I thought. That river swamp dirt is funny. Can't walk on it this week and in a month it will be cracking open and so dry you can't dig a hole in it. Gumbo clay and muck. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts