Pay no attention to this post

Help Support CattleToday:

According to U.S. dept of defense, in 2022 America hit a new low with 77% of 17-24 year olds unqualified to enlist in military service. Top automatic disqualifiers, obesity, drug related issues, and criminal history. Pretty sad that 3 out of 4 in prime recruitment age are unfit for service.

Last edited:
According to U.S. dept of defense, in 2022 America hit a new low with 77% of 17-24 year olds unqualified to enlist in military service. Top automatic disqualifiers, obesity, drug related issues, and criminal history. Pretty sad that 3 out of 4 in prime recruitment age are unfit for service.

My son had seizures about every six months from 2 to 11 years old. None since...

He tried to sign up and was rejected because he hadn't had a seizure in 7 years.

But he was sound enough to be a bouncer at the bar in SD that sells the most alcohol in the state.

The government is like any other employer with too many hiring options.

But he was sound enough to be a bouncer at the bar in SD that sells the most alcohol in the state.
I worked as a bouncer part time, (Fri, Sat, Sunday nights.. the year I returned from Vietnam. Outside Navy base Millington Tenn.
For the women. I had to give it up. I only lasted about 6-7 months. Just too many of 'em.

I remember sitting in the Seattle YMCA waiting for draft physical the next morning. Subject of discussion was how to not get drafted. Someone said that three counts of minor in possession of alcohol would get you out. Some young guy said I have two of those. He jumped up and took a jug and stood out on the street corner yelling and screaming until the cops came and arrested him. Side note there was 3 or 4 guys who just weren't there the next morning. Who knows where they disappeared to?

I was a kid of the 80s and just can't believe it. I had video games but was ALWAYS outside playing, climbing trees, etc., then cycling (raced bicycles in junior high and high school).

I went the ROTC route back in the mid 1990s and took it for granted that everyone was fit. The military turned out to be a good career. Comes down to parenting, largely, but I think a lot has to do with the garbage food sold in the US these days. Here in the Midwest, see a lot of kids who are obese and wonder what's going on with them.

Last edited:
I think a lot has to do with the garbage food sold in the US these days.
Agreed.
I'm about 20 yrs older than you and for the first 25+ yrs mostly avoided overly processed foods. But like most Americans I've fallen into the trap of 'convenience' over eating healthy. Not good for me or for others, especially the next generation.

Last edited:
Agreed.
I'm about 20 yrs older than you and for the first 25+ yrs mostly avoided overly processed foods. But like most Americans I've fallen into the trap of 'convenience' over eating healthy. Not good for me or for others, especially the next generation.
Our youngest moved out earlier this year. My wife and I have discovered that cooking for two is just as much work and almost as much money as when we were cooking for eight (six kids).

For the last several months, we've been getting take-out a couple times a week and bringing it home. Convenience has a cost, and it's more than just money.

When the kids were at home, that might have happened once a month. We've both put on 10 pounds this year. I've never made a new year resolution because I've always figured if something was worth doing, do it now no matter what time of year it is.

We've both agreed that today, we go back to our mostly keto friendly lifestyle and stop these frequent easy meals.

It's not how much you eat, but what you eat. We eat out pretty often but not huge portions and I never get dessert (because I'm diabetic). Rarely go to burger joints, just 'full service eateries because I really like sitting down to a good meal mostly because I do all the cooking here at home and tho I do like to cook, I sometimes enjoy a respite from that.

Just had my 3 month labs done a few days ago and tho my a1c is still not down as low as I'd like it, it didn't go up one bit and my avg daily glucose reading is 116. That may seem high but the standards for someone that is already diabetic is different than a non-diabetic.

Weight? I'm already pretty light for someone 6'4". 205 to 208lbs for the last 12 months.
BMI (which is mostly meaningless) of 25.2. 'Supposed to be 18.5-24.9.
I worry about some of these CenTex winds already, blowing me over.

Last edited:
My oldest sister-in-law came to visit yesterday. Her husband died a couple years ago. I don't know how many foster kids went through their house. They adopted seven.

She brought the youngest four to share the new year. The two boys are both going on 16 this year, and got .22 rifles for Christmas.

They can't shoot where they live, so they brought'em to Freedom Township Arkansas. We got them dialed in yesterday and went squirrel hunting this morning.

We had a great time, but I realized that I'm not the one to keep up with city kids.B00A4291-F88A-4FF0-BC8D-95C357701ECD.jpeg

Heart warming.

I almost feel bad pointing out 16 convicted serial killers including Ted Bundy and Joel Rifkin were all adopted.
Don't feel bad about it. Even after we wipe the gunk out of our eyes, facts remain. That shouldn't inhibit us from trying to make a difference.

Latest posts