Patience and they will appear

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We like to purchase cattle that we can add value to. Bred market here is strong on best types. Been waiting for some undersize heifers to appear and yesterday at a bred sale south of where we normally go they did. Buyer got 19, they are thin and need groceries, bred to calve with our own and half price of what big, fat heifers are bringing. Will be a few days before they are home.
IMG_0560.jpeg

We like to purchase cattle that we can add value to. Bred market here is strong on best types. Been waiting for some undersize heifers to appear and yesterday at a bred sale south of where we normally go they did. Buyer got 19, they are thin and need groceries, bred to calve with our own and half price of what big, fat heifers are bringing. Will be a few days before they are home.
View attachment 37522
They're light... So bred to calve with yours? When is that, March? Four months to feed them up?

Any thoughts on heavy (or not) feed in the last month?

Or are you just planning on good nutrition like any other animal you own and nothing special to really put on weight?
The only time too much feed is an issue is if the birth canal gets too much fat in it. I can do zippers if need be but not expecting to. These heifers came from an operation that owns nearly 12000 mother cows. They would know what heifer bulls are.

The only time too much feed is an issue is if the birth canal gets too much fat in it. I can do zippers if need be but not expecting to. These heifers came from an operation that owns nearly 12000 mother cows. They would know what heifer bulls are.
I've heard laying on a lot of fat in later months can also have an effect of the size of calves... but I've never had that kind of issue because I've never done what you are doing so was just curious.

It will be interesting to see how well the new ones do in comparison to your keepers. Keep us posted.

I have watched a lot of those size heifers sell this fall for half that money, even less. I have sat on my hands and watch them walk. Heck, I have seen some pretty good heifers sell for that when I figure the dollar conversion. But I am not set up for heifers and really don't want to get set up.

I have watched a lot of those size heifers sell this fall for half that money, even less. I have sat on my hands and watch them walk. Heck, I have seen some pretty good heifers sell for that when I figure the dollar conversion. But I am not set up for heifers and really don't want to get set up.
I haven't seen them yet but they are apparently 100 lbs or more off in condition. There would be a difference if they were this weight and fleshy.
They are also 40 cents under feeder market for that weight of heifers as they are bred.

Latest posts