Patches of Dry Skin

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have several cows that have coin sized patches of white dry skin on their faces and on the insides of the back legs. Several of them have these patches close to their eyes. What are they and how do I treat them?

[email protected]

> Sounds like ringworms.

I have several cows that have coin
> sized patches of white dry skin on
> their faces and on the insides of
> the back legs. Several of them
> have these patches close to their
> eyes. What are they and how do I
> treat them?

This is interesting becuase my holstien bull calf has a bare spot under his chin that appeared to have been just hair rubbed off in a calf pen. If this type of bare spot is from ringworm is this treatable with an antifungal cream like it is on other animals or people if contracted from an animal?

[email protected]

> This is interesting becuase my
> holstien bull calf has a bare spot
> under his chin that appeared to
> have been just hair rubbed off in
> a calf pen. If this type of bare
> spot is from ringworm is this
> treatable with an antifungal cream
> like it is on other animals or
> people if contracted from an
> animal?

Ringworm can be treated with almost any athletes foot antifungal cream purchased (very cheaply, I might add) from the local drug store. Usually the package will also says that it treats ringworm. Ringworm and athletes foot are caused by the same fungus. I am not 100% positive, but I have been told by some knowledgeable people that humans will not catch the ringworm fungus that is carried by cattle. Once the ringworm has been treated so that the skin is smooth, and the scab is gone, it is no longer contagious, but will return if not treated until the skin is completely healed and regrowing hair.

[email protected]

> I have several cows that have coin
> sized patches of white dry skin on
> their faces and on the insides of
> the back legs. Several of them
> have these patches close to their
> eyes. What are they and how do I
> treat them?

They are probably ringworm, and are highly contagious to other cattle. It can be treated with athletes foot cream, purchased at your local drug store (athletes foot and ringworm are from the same fungus). The best way to treat the areas are to scrub them with soapy water, or an iodine scrub twice daily. After scrubbing, apply the cream. (You should scrub really well twice daily until all scabs are removed, and the skin is smooth.) Once the skin is smooth, you can apply the cream twice daily until the hair grows back. It is important to treat the areas all the way through, or the ringworm may return. Be sure to wear disposable gloves, and to disinfect all scrubbing materials with bleach after each use. Good luck!

[email protected]

Ringworm on cattle IS contagious to humans, cats, dogs, etc. It can also live in wooden corral posts, etc., for up to two years.

Latest posts