Pasture Sprayer

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
Who makes the best pasture sprayer?
The tractor I will be using is a Ford 5030.

I think I am going with a boom 110 gallon or a 200 gallon sprayer.

What are your thoughts?

I don't know if it's the best, but I build a nice one for about $300. It's 270 gallon.

I have one that has the boomless nozzle 100gal. I like it over the booms because it's easier to get around in the field if u have rocks or trees. I think mine sprays around 30 ft so it doesn't take long to empty 100 gal.

Go with the biggest one you can afford and your tractor will carry. Trips back the barn to refill get old and waste a lot of time. Only kind ive used has the booms. They will break if you get too close to the fence.

I like that BF. I been thinking about building one myself.

If you have much acreage at all, you will find 100gal is a real pain to go back to water source to refill. Mine 300gal and I wish it were 600gal.
Nothing to building one. A lot of my pics are now deleted from server, but I've been using this one the last couple years--trouble free.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79460

Ditto on that

Go for as many gallons as you can possibly pull. The less time you spend traveling to a water source, the better. My little set up, will work on any tank, that I put it on. I should have built it on a 600 gallon or better tank. The red belly would be outclassed by that much weight though :D

Not wanting to take dt's topic over but what if I am only spraying 40 acres max? Do I need such a big sprayer? funds are limited, but it sounds like I can build one like Bigfoot's for cheaper? Will only be spraying 2-4,d to control weeds if that matters.

I went shopping last weekend, but they don't carry PTO powered 3pt sprayers at TSC or Ruralking anymore that I could find, only 12v? Was planning on just getting the 3pt boom sprayer, but if that is a waste of time??? Kelly

If your going to build one or buy parts and in or around ky, I would deal with ohio valley ag. Be careful with 3 point set ups you can overload a smaller tractor pretty fast, water is heavy. Not much to building a simple sprayer.

Kell-inKY":yxnx1mu4 said:
Not wanting to take dt's topic over but what if I am only spraying 40 acres max? Do I need such a big sprayer? funds are limited, but it sounds like I can build one like Bigfoot's for cheaper? Will only be spraying 2-4,d to control weeds if that matters.

I went shopping last weekend, but they don't carry PTO powered 3pt sprayers at TSC or Ruralking anymore that I could find, only 12v? Was planning on just getting the 3pt boom sprayer, but if that is a waste of time??? Kelly

A 12 volt pump is running mine. Two full years of service, and has sprayed well over 500 acres. I was iffy if a 12 volt pump would work, but it did for me.

Kell-inKY":6iadv3vt said:

The short boom Big Foot is using will work fine for you acreage, some will a cluster nozzle (I have both on my home built sprayer, with a valve to alternate which one I use) You can go with the 'tote' tank 270-300gal and that will be fine. 100 gallon of mixed solution will not last very long. You will have to calculate how much your sprayer is putting out in coverage, and it depends on pressure, flow in gallons/hour or gallons/minute. Dow recommends 2-4 pints of actual 2,4d per acre (mixed with water of course). So what you will need to do, (with your pump and nozzle) is figure out how many gallons of water it takes you to cover one acre, then mix your herbicide accordingly to get the middle # of 3 pts/acre herbicide applied. Just roughly guessing, I'd say you will be spraying 20-30 gals of mix/acre. That's 800-1200 gals to spray 40 acres. Lots of trips back to the water hose to refill a 100 gal tank, but not near as many with a 300 gal tank.

You will want to mount it on a small trailer. Water weighs 8.3 pounds/gal, so 100 gallons of just the water weighs 830lbs, not counting the weight of the tank. A full 250-300 gallon tank weighs over 2000lb and 300 gal weighs about 2500lbs. Unless you have a big tractor, don't want any of those weights hanging off your 3pt in rough terrain or on the side of a hill with the 3pt up pretty high to get clearance for your nozzles to work good. 3pt sprayers also put a lot of spray on the tractor driver if there is any breeze at all unless it's a cab tractor.

I was considering purchasing one of these myself this year.

I just called my local Ag store. They have a trailer mounted 500 gallon sprayer priced at $3825.

Any thoughts on that size/price....?

I believe an acre takes like 30 gallons of weed killer? So a 500 gallon sprayer would cover like 15 acres or so? Does that sound about right?

I got a ford 5030 that pulls a 10ft cutter and a 300 gallon sprayer no problem , Best tractor I've ever owned , if it was 4x4 it'd be best tractor ever

I have a 300 gallon spray rig on a trailer. I try to get 20 gallons f mix to the acre. The more water you can use the better the coverage.

bird dog":3ff4q5l0 said:
15 gallons of water/herbicide mix per acre is plenty. I have a 335 gallon one from these guys. Boomless I have it set up to spray about 22 acres per tank load. It works well.

http://www.heavybiltmfg.com/index.php/h ... n-sprayers

I picked mine up at their plant in Oklahoma. They are easy to work with and much cheaper than some of the larger brands.

I am familiar with the Heavybuilt brand. I have a farm store near me that sells that brand. That's one of the two brands I have been looking at. Can your sprayer be used to spray liquid fertilizer as well as herbicides?

EDIT:
I just called the farm store in Chandler, OK. They have the 335 gallon model in stock for $2995 or the 535 gallon model for $3495.

I would think so. I don't see what the difference would be. I don't know how far you are from the plant but call there and ask for Waylon. He can answer anything you what to know and might sell you one direct.

I have a ton of trees in the pasture, I think this rules out boomless right? I need to be able to control where it goes is my thinking.

Can't seem to find a used sprayer and I don't feel like a project right now, I am quickly running out of time, may have to get a 30' boom sprayer and reduce the width.

Slightly off topic, I noticed they sell 2 versions of 2,4-d are they for different temperatures? low volatility or something if I remember, one cost more than the other.

One volatizes more easily than the other. I can never remember which one, so I have to ask every time.

I built my sprayer in about 3 hours. It just sits on a little trailer I already had.

Latest posts