Pasture Rent

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but the people I respect the most seem to hang out here. How much do you guys that rent pasture pay per head per month? Thanks. :)

most guys that rent pasure here pay by the ac.alot of the cost depends on the pasure an landlord as well as availabilty of the land for rent.i know here theres no land for rent.an if some comes up for rent,itll cost you $15 to $25 an ac.an thats just for any type of pasture that you can rent.

Is that $15 to $25 per/ac per month or year or ???

KMacGinley":1izxxoz0 said:
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but the people I respect the most seem to hang out here. How much do you guys that rent pasture pay per head per month? Thanks. :)

Around here rental is per acre, not per head. Usually there's a limit as to how many cattle can be grazed on the acreage, though. The price depends on the land. Some land is cropland and rents for more than the straight pasture land. And some land is so heavily wooded that it rents for even less than the pasture land.

We have 3 different lease lands. One place, all we have to do is keep it nice, fences, shred, ect. No rent. One place is $15 per acre / per year, It is quite junky land but we needed it in a pinch. The other place is $20 per acre / per year, this is nice land and includes the use of pens, facilities, equipment, ect but we are expected to keep the place up nice and treat it as our own. We do everything there that we do on our land, fertilize, spray, plant winter grazing, ect. On the junky land for $15 - we're not going to do anything except keep the fences up. We have to provide the pens too.

$15/acre per year on average for decent pasture. I do all the upkeep and repairs.

Have three farms that are given to me each year for upkeep by older gentlemen, have offered every year to pay rent but not one of them will take it. Not one of them ever asks any favors, but I'll bend over backwards to do anything for them if needed.

The landowners that charge the most rent are also the ones that don't mind asking for "favors" every chance they get. :roll:

cfpinz

10 per head a month here. But its getting harder to come by with all the building, hunting leases, and horse people.

Most of the time, around 40 an acre per year. But it depends on the pasture fence and water source.

Getting hard to find at any price anymore, here.

MD

cfpinz":34i6axi5 said:
$15/acre per year on average for decent pasture. I do all the upkeep and repairs.

Have three farms that are given to me each year for upkeep by older gentlemen, have offered every year to pay rent but not one of them will take it. Not one of them ever asks any favors, but I'll bend over backwards to do anything for them if needed.

The landowners that charge the most rent are also the ones that don't mind asking for "favors" every chance they get. :roll:

cfpinz

Thats the truth...

My neighbor rents his pasture for diary heifers, charges $45 per head per year. June 1 til nov. 1, he keeps the fence up and clips the weeds.

My thoughts on this is how much can you aford to pay for rent on a commercial cow operation if you rent by acre .The rancher from central Texas did not say what kind of operation he had , on one lease he paid $20 lease ,weed sprayed fertilized and planted winter grazing. How many acres to a head . At some point your rent and expenses will overpower your income. The question should be how much rent per head can you aford to make ends meet.

cowboy44":3qytx9nm said:
The question should be how much rent per head can you aford to make ends meet.
But that wasn't the question. KMacGinley asked the question for what he needed to know. He is a pretty successful farmer, cattleman and college graduate, so should know how to ask the questions to find out what he wants to know.

KMacGinley":1z750yi6 said:

Mack there is not a lot of leased pastures around here the last one that I knew of was 10 bucks an acre.
You take the average of 400 bucks a cow unit cost a year and add another 120 dollars on that profits are getting ate up pretty fast.

We rent out the bakc hay field/pasture after we cut hay for $7.50 per head per month and provide the water and fencing.

dun

$5.00 a pair on a real good pasture. Run a pair per acre, and their fat as pigs. $20.00 an acre on wiz poor pasture.

I may have an opportunity to lease 376 acres for next year, with an additional 400+ acres in the next 3. Right now, I am renting one pasture and paying $10 per Cow-calf pair or Breeding heifer per month and I do all the upkeep. (I put in a headgate and built a chute today for example.)
The land that I am looking into, is a mixture of warm season grasses, bluestems and indian grass and cool season grasses. The soil is somewhat sandy, which is why it is in grass, but 2/3 s of it is not bad. The stocking rate will be 1 animal unit per 3 acres.
The first year I will get it for free for electric fencing it. If everybody is happy they will permanent fence the boundary in the second year. By year 3 the additional 400 acres will come in.
The price will be based on a per head fee, which is why I was wondering what everyone else is paying. These people are pretty conservative and don't want it overgrazed which is why they approached me with this, as they knew that I use the Mig and rotation on my own stuff and nobody else around here does that.
Normally in Indiana, in a "Normal" year, I can get by with a 1:1 stocking rate, but on this it will be 1 cow per 3.
I am pretty pleased with what I pay on my rented ground, but I doubt that I will get that good a deal here, so I wanted some ammunition to use when we hash out price for year 2. Thanks mac.

We rent out some land at $25 an acre. It's mostly flood plain. Might be better than a "cow and a calf to an acre and a half"