Pasture Maintenance

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to get my pasture in order, but I can't get these to stay gone. what can I do to remove them permanently? I am currently in the process of bush hogging the pasture. this is a short term solution need something permanent.

thanks in advance.

AMHsjDELxc2jV7wlI7UMSFmM8RKDbyp5JkEBLEY4DjxuSO1vAMXWD3gUgOiFbtR38Q33NJRL8aRRC6jk1FyFQR4rCaBVzR3ekIJvAGHTHxCH2oS-w66Gm5bcI_gUCF-NuhncLuLPqDu-rWRNG5VquZm-OlBtfv-psBO78vpM4r8sMFGYEHEau_-B8D8Fhp-_nse6Yh-g_7aOPUZdXkSHUzB6KjpmzfjvpwLYfX5LBRmFqeNCKWjUGeFNzZ5LsC3SahdhDSjX83wfJCCLSLkQJkTvtM9bllXil1ihuY6wemxrpkrNIVeYqFLWKM3rKu2m70VJLDX8VCbVhpbo4EggvED_QpPdLV-Hguvbp0j4xJgQFzpDmwIBprcT75AnZTYmYZebWjSLG3Qz5uPtWymRpWRrO4ykwZt7YrgBgSsD17ZnrLFNgx6ZNeriRiidNXHzZWiAfzGJiHVhiXc36REB9WcHBvEn2v5nmGW1s7HGEfsiVQ0XVm76AAJLdy2CR5zbt5aETuhsdhJwiDLV8enpObOI5V6jZssOwG4P-F8W4V16X3NcKCVpP97bTJa045Z1kjymHiPgMz8ABjGd5IHuqatpzQJ7aqRls7HvpZ2iY_WLu2twQdTNDn7urmTU14WuX2i6QS5gs268Z_96c6OhmP__BTYd57iN5_aAD6ZonOD-oFpE32Fv5LuEHWbmdKkKwCc1MZzz0Y-WfqMgXlEU3iXWOU67UpCk3jnDxhiwfcw3JAHBN3Wu-buIeDl8gNNbQ1Q08QcCoqo_VLlY8wZVUZb0ZqoqFDdyla9yaoN3U8ZjPjSBEdtqM0GmuZy4m_y7aduyfqXxu-knV4mUw5KaGXc_lAftaB70xEx0wcd5AYZD=w1114-h1484-no

2-4-D will handle that. May is a good time to spray but you could spray now if you want.

I am compelled to ask, Why were you not concerned last fall as the first year growth had obviously infected your pasture?
There is no permanent solution for Musk thistle as the seed can be wind born for any number of miles. You will find it is a
bi-annual that will normally set growth the first year and bloom and seed the second. Personally I think seed that survives
through the winter is viable and will full cycle the first year. From the photo your pasture is already seeded for the next year.
Any of the good pasture mixes or 2-4D will set it back and with adequate concentration kill the standing plant. In a situation
like yours I would bush hog the area asap and spray to kill the plant and hopefully prevent whatever seed that is there from
getting away. You will need to stay on top of it, especially this fall and kill anything growing as it will come back next spring
and it will be a repeat of what you have now. I think I have logged more miles with a back pack sprayer than Kenny Thomas
looking for an killing the damn things. You can control them (if you stay at it) but you will never eliminate them. Good Luck.

I am compelled to ask, Why were you not concerned last fall as the first year growth had obviously infected your pasture?
There is no permanent solution for Musk thistle as the seed can be wind born for any number of miles. You will find it is a
bi-annual that will normally set growth the first year and bloom and seed the second. Personally I think seed that survives
through the winter is viable and will full cycle the first year. From the photo your pasture is already seeded for the next year.
Any of the good pasture mixes or 2-4D will set it back and with adequate concentration kill the standing plant. In a situation
like yours I would bush hog the area asap and spray to kill the plant and hopefully prevent whatever seed that is there from
getting away. You will need to stay on top of it, especially this fall and kill anything growing as it will come back next spring
and it will be a repeat of what you have now. I think I have logged more miles with a back pack sprayer than Kenny Thomas
looking for an killing the damn things. You can control them (if you stay at it) but you will never eliminate them. Good Luck.
Lee... Thank you for the info.
To answer your question.
My brother in law had this pasture and for health reasons he can't do this anymore. So I was able to take over and this is what I have to contend with.
I really appreciate the advise. I am sure I will be up there in miles with the BP sprayer as well.