Pasture question

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
I was asked by a friend if I wanted to own some cattle with him, but I need to learn a little about this deal, the man has money but knows nothing about cattle or land, he would supply the money and I do the work.

He is in another part of the country, but owns 1000 acres here, it's got about 40 acres of really good bottom pasture, then probably 200 to 300 acres of glades with bluestem and sage grass, the rest is mostly hardwood timber, but there's alot of green underbrush 8 months of the year. I figure with the right cattle the might do ok, but that's my question.

He's thinking about 75 longhorns and breed them to a Charolais. he owns the land, pays for the cattle, we split the expenses of hay, vet supplies, ect. And sell the calves at about 8 or 9 months old and split the profit 50-50, sounds like it might be ok for me, if the cattle will do ok. This type of land has been leased by the forest service for cattle for years, I'm just not sure how many acres per cow to figure.

Kingfisher":1ug0a081 said:
Why LOng Horn bred to Charlois??
Charolais because they go good on longhorns, longhorns because there smaller, cheaper and are kinda known to do ok in theses kind of conditions where there's not alot of good pasture.

If you decide to do this deal I will hook you if with some folks that I know in your area that might have a better deal for the longhorn crosses.

That sounds similar to the deal my brother and I have, except I have to pay half and still do all the work. At least he pays when I tell him to and stays out of my way.:lol:

DMF

Sit down and think of (write them down and show them to your potential partner) all the possible things that can go wrong.

Personal, business, weather, feed, meds, vets, handling - the whole shebang

If you can come up with a satisfactory solution to those problems then go for it.

Do not take any risk that can be avoided by the partner - in for a penny - in for a pound.

If not then you better trot away before you get into a spot of trouble.

Cheers

Bez

snake67":2w73up8k said:
DMF

Sit down and think of (write them down and show them to your potential partner) all the possible things that can go wrong.

If you can come up with a satisfactory solution to those problems then go for it.

Do not take any risk that can be avoided by the partner - in for a penny - in for a pound.

Cheers

Bez
I've thought of most of it. The other guy just thinks it would be neat to see and might make me some money, he doesn't care if he makes a dollar. I will have no investment, he pays for everything then when the calves get sold, I give him his half plus my half of the expenses. My only investment is my time to check, set hay out, work, and keep alive the 75 or 80 cows.

snake67":7ufvftd3 said:
DMF

Cheers

Bez

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Well said. It makes for a "fair deal" for both parties. Open and clear communication, and in writing.

Katherine

denvermartinfarms":1xs52v28 said:
I will have no investment, he pays for everything then when the calves get sold, I give him his half plus my half of the expenses. My only investment is my time to check, set hay out, work, and keep alive the 75 or 80 cows.

Will what's left (dollar wise) be worth the time you have invested?

Katherine

denvermartinfarms":u3i5dgju said:
I was asked by a friend if I wanted to own some cattle with him, but I need to learn a little about this deal, the man has money but knows nothing about cattle or land, he would supply the money and I do the work.

He is in another part of the country, but owns 1000 acres here, it's got about 40 acres of really good bottom pasture, then probably 200 to 300 acres of glades with bluestem and sage grass, the rest is mostly hardwood timber, but there's alot of green underbrush 8 months of the year. I figure with the right cattle the might do ok, but that's my question.

He's thinking about 75 longhorns and breed them to a Charolais. he owns the land, pays for the cattle, we split the expenses of hay, vet supplies, ect. And sell the calves at about 8 or 9 months old and split the profit 50-50, sounds like it might be ok for me, if the cattle will do ok. This type of land has been leased by the forest service for cattle for years, I'm just not sure how many acres per cow to figure.

Those calves are going to look like a box of crayons going through the ring .
You will get stung on the price.

Workinonit Farm":2ynts9qk said:
denvermartinfarms":2ynts9qk said:
I will have no investment, he pays for everything then when the calves get sold, I give him his half plus my half of the expenses. My only investment is my time to check, set hay out, work, and keep alive the 75 or 80 cows.

Will what's left (dollar wise) be worth the time you have invested?

Katherine
I'm thinking it would be, it would be about like me having 40 of them on my own, the only difference is I have to keep track of 80 instead. Looking after 80 cows isn't that much work, so I think it should be worth the profit from 40.

Caustic Burno":2zymt8ne said:
denvermartinfarms":2zymt8ne said:

Those calves are going to look like a box of crayons going through the ring .
You will get stung on the price.
Here a good longhorn Charolais cross calf at the right market at 600lbs is generally only 20cwt to 25cwt less than the top selling black cattle. But the cows are about half price to buy.

Sounds reasonable at face value. Is he an older gentleman? Maybe he relishes the opportunity to help you out. I have had some older folks offer up similar proposals. Sometimes it's just a feel good thing. They are getting older and want to do something good for others. Could be he see's something in you and wants to help you succeed in life. That in itself would be a testimony to your character. A lot of older folks are not happy with their own offspring and will often "adopt" a fine young man. You still need to remain wise in whatever decision you make. Things like this can make or break you, but from what little I have read of your post you already know what to do and how to do it. Might change up the mix a bit though. Good luck :tiphat:

Ouachita":37gybanm said:
Sounds reasonable at face value. Is he an older gentleman? Maybe he relishes the opportunity to help you out. I have had some older folks offer up similar proposals. Sometimes it's just a feel good thing. They are getting older and want to do something good for others. Could be he see's something in you and wants to help you succeed in life. That in itself would be a testimony to your character. A lot of older folks are not happy with their own offspring and will often "adopt" a fine young man. You still need to remain wise in whatever decision you make. Things like this can make or break you, but from what little I have read of your post you already know what to do and how to do it. Might change up the mix a bit though. Good luck :tiphat:
He's 48, not old by my standards. He just has a giant amount of money and we are good friends,he knows that i know my way around the cattle business. To him it would be fun to see them a couple times a year, and since I'm self employed and around where they would be often anyway it seemed like it might work for me to.

Sounds like it could be a good deal for you. Bez pretty much nailed it. Be sure and get your deal in writing. Would suggest a very light stocking rate to minimize both hay and labor expense, especially until you get a better idea what the place will carry. Considering you will have to pay for half the hay but no pasture rent, best to maximize pasture use and minimize hay.

Good luck, if you give it a try! If it has decent fence, plenty of water, and somewhat of a corral or old barn to load out of, that would be really nice.
It seems to me, when feeders are high priced, the buyers don't find as much fault with some off-colored calves. If feeder cattle take a nose-dive, off-colored will take a big hit.
Maybe you will get lucky, and the char will bleach them out really good!

The other deal is, I get the job of dozing a 20ft strip around the entire 1000 acres, building alot if new fence and fixing what's already there that's worth fixing and building a corral and some sheds. That's all just paying work aside from the cattle deal.

Some guys like him just enjoy the thought of telling their rich friends that they have cattle. And the longhorn aspect is even more interesting to them. Show him how he can buy new equipment for you to use and take it off his taxes. He might eat that up.

Latest posts