Pasture lease prices

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom":20dtreb4 said:
What are some going prices ky-tn area? Decent fences, fescue, year around.
I'm not sure there is any left littletom. Anything over 2 or 3 acres, the grain boys have sucked it up.
I'm paying about $30/ac for a few acres directly behind me that would be hard for anyone else to get to.
A friend of mine is leasing a farm for her horses...about 40 ac. She is giving about 30/ac. but most of it is wet natured.

littletom":39li17ng said:

I'm in GA not KY or TN but I pay $30/Ac. Except one farm I pay $50. But it's only 17 Ac and it's in between two of my other pastures and I pay a little extra to keep anyone else from cutting me off.

We lease around 500 acres total in 3 different locations. $15/a for hay only lease, $20-30/a for pasture lease.

Pasture "here" is usually rented on a per head per month basis, not by the acre. I get $30/AUM. I pay electricity and maintence of water system. Figure it takes about 10 acres to keep a cow and calf for 5 month grazing season. Neighbor maintains fence with materials I provide.

Payment is monthly in advance. When calves come off, neighbor pays the same rate but pays at end of the month. Depending on how much winter we get most years cattle stay until around Christmas. This year it was Thanksgiving. A couple times cattle stayed into early January. I tell neighbor to use his own judgement when it is time to pull out.

hurleyjd":2jqtmr4g said:
You guys need some BLM land to lease.

Yep, the check to the BLM will be less than $2.00 per head per month. But studies have shown that the actual cost to you will be over $20 per month. I wonder how many on here have gone out to move cows horse back and taken binoculars to search for cows. Or spent an entire day riding in a pasture with over 300 pairs in it and never seen a single cow (in country where you can see for miles). Yes sir, BLM is the way to go.

Dave":36hgvrt0 said:
hurleyjd":36hgvrt0 said:

Yep, the check to the BLM will be less than $2.00 per head per month. But studies have shown that the actual cost to you will be over $20 per month. I wonder how many on here have gone out to move cows horse back and taken binoculars to search for cows. Or spent an entire day riding in a pasture with over 300 pairs in it and never seen a single cow (in country where you can see for miles). Yes sir, BLM is the way to go.
Whats a BLM?

littletom":pcj34zuz said:

I pay $50 an acre for some, and the guy only wants $35. It joins me, it's fenced good, its got a nice pond on it, and I don't want to lose it.

Banjo":1ld9yusw said:
Dave":1ld9yusw said:
hurleyjd":1ld9yusw said:

Whats a BLM?

Bureau of Land Management. Big out west.

TennesseeTuxedo":3h43a7kf said:
We lease 26 acres to a tobacco guy for $370 acre. Wish he wanted more.

Goes for $600 here, if you've got a pond near to irrigate from.

Bigfoot":2qgbsc9y said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2qgbsc9y said:

Goes for $600 here, if you've got a pond near to irrigate from.

I've got a pond, center pivot with electric motor, and low pressure nozzles. Tell him to call me! :lol2: just how many acres does he want???

All jokes aside.... I would love to talk to him. Nobody has grown tobacco here since the buyout several years ago.

I pay 250+ for some tobacco ground, but it is close a certain soil type I prefer. I wouldn't drag all that stuff and people much more than 15-20 miles for good free ground, unless it had barns. My tobacco is air cured so if no barns it has to come home to be hung to cure.

garyws":2kkbphxy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2kkbphxy said:

Do cows chew tibackee? :tiphat:

Yep, sure will. I had half a pickup left at the end of hanging one year that I hung over the calves stall. There was not a single tip leaf on any of it when I went to take it down. They had eaten every leaf they could reach.

Latest posts