Pasture/hay ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I just cut a 15 acre pasture (good grass) Saturday that was really tall 4-5 ft. I just bush hogged it. Is it bad for all that cut grass to lay there? In other words will it inhibit regrowth of the grass? A neighbor wants to rake it and make hay but I was thinking that takes off nutrients from fresh cut grass. I'm obviously no hay expert.

Just guessing when I haven't seen it but, to me, it would be how much residue you have left.If it's heavy and you aren't grazing it,you may be better off to bale it.If it was thin and tall and not likely to smother the grass underneath,might be better to let it go back.
If your neighbor is needing hay and can bale some of it,you might be doing yourself a favor in the long run even if you loose some nutrients.Good deeds have a way of returning.
I have one field which gets ahead of me before I can get cattle on it some years. Grows up tall and matures.Have let the neighbors cut it on shares when they cut theirs for some extra hay.I get some hay made I don't have to handle and the field mowed off which I would have to do anyway.They get some hay they wouldn't have otherwise.Yes,I loose some of the grazable grass but I have extra hay if it gets dry I can feed back or save for winter.I look at it as a win for both of us. :2cents:

A certain amount of residue is great..for holding moisture,and a breaking down to organic matter.. great for the soil...but if it's enough to shed out sun.it'll be slow coming back..if we go into a real dry spell in might make a difference on the stand..if its choking it out.I'd let him clean it up and bale it..

millstreaminn said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Your bush hog not shred it?

What's the difference? I always thought a Bush Hog was a shredder?
Raking and Baling bush hogged grasses all chewed and twisted up,can be aggravating keeping a bale together ..talking about it mulching it enough to just let it lay there..

I don't mean to change the subject. But the original poster mentioned having tall grass. I've always wondered. Would cattle go and eat grass about 3-4 feet high or would they not even touch it?

KentuckySpud said:
I don't mean to change the subject. But the original poster mentioned having tall grass. I've always wondered. Would cattle go and eat grass about 3-4 feet high or would they not even touch it?

Best define the grass....they will strip a corn field clean...

Had some tall grass a couple summers ago. Mostly got trampled.

1982vett said:
KentuckySpud said:

Best define the grass....they will strip a corn field clean...

Had some tall grass a couple summers ago. Mostly got trampled.

Good to know. Thanks!

Generally, they just want the new young growth, so they will work on the short green stuff, if any, and trample most of the rest. If a field gets ahead of me (headed out), I will turn them in it and let them glean what they will eat, then go in & mow the rest.

KentuckySpud said:

I had fescue/og/clover in the pasture that could have been mowed for hay, chest high. Last of May/early June, I estimated what would make 2 bales give or take, and gave them that much every 12 hours. Made about 7 acres last 12 days. They trampled it real good. Ate almost every seed head i could find. Warm season stuff and clovers grew right through the trampled mess. The cows/calves did satisfactory on it.

From here on, if time will allow, i am only bush hogging to control weeds from going to seed. That every 12 hours thing is for days off.

Latest posts