Pasture for grazing/hay production

Help Support CattleToday:

SCRUBS620

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what I can plant (I realize I'll have to find something suited to my area) that could easily be grazed in the early spring and fall/winter that would also make decent hay in the summer. I like to buy calves in the fall, winter them, and then graze them in the spring. I usually keep a couple during the summer to butcher in the fall. My problem is I dont have a great water source right now so I cant support many during the summer. I have about five more acres that I want to put into pasture but it would be a waste if I cant get decent hay off of it. Any suggestions that would fit the bill that would not bloat the calves? Or is there something that stockpiles well? The part of Indiana I live in gets some really cold temps but there usually not alot of snow.

Kentucky 31 Fescue, there maybe some more choices out there be it sounds like your looking at a type of fescue.

poorboy":2wj85dt8 said:
Kentucky 31 Fescue, there maybe some more choices out there be it sounds like your looking at a type of fescue.

Do you have experience with this fescue? Were you referring to hay or stockpiling? Thanks for your reply. :tiphat:

All of our pastures are primarily KY31. We graze the early growth except for a couple of fields that we will cut hay in. When the growth slows we still rotate but slower. The field s we hayed will get grazed usually once in late july or august then be allowed to grow until winter when we graze of the stockpiled growth. During late june through august it would be better if we had a WSG to graze since the palatability of the fescue goes down hill during that time. Our cows are so used to the stuff by now they don;t seem to notice.

Latest posts