pasture dream drills

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's the contact information for the company that mad them

Taylor Machine Works, Inc.

650 North Avenue

Louisville, MS 39339

662-773-3421

Fax: 662-779-5432

Had not heard of them in years. Pulled one many a mile for my uncle when I was a kid. They were an early version of a no-til. We planted oats and rye in the pastures in the fall and various other grasses in the spring. I wish I had one now as they did work very well and held up through some very tough pastures.

This is one off the web. I have not got pics of the one I bought yet. It's the same as this just not new paint and mine has 4 coulters 20" apart. I looked a junk one a couple yrs ago that I'm hoping the guy still has and then I can bolt on 3 more coulters and openers and make it a 7 with 10" spacing

Everything I have found on it indicates it is a great little machine . if I needed to plant a couple hundred acres it would be s slow tedious process. I think I can adapt it to what I do . I paid what it cost me to rent a 10' drill for 4 days last fall. I can always sell it to a deer hunter to plant food plots if it doesn't work

I was able to locate an operators manual , It explains why the 20" spacing and how it will produce as much as broadcasting . Mind you this is data from the 1950's and 60's . It is interesting non the less. These little machines have quite the following and are in demand for food plots and small acreage grazing. Here is the pic of one I bought. Im looking forward to experimenting with it.

I ended up buying 2 of them with clover boxes. There are 2 types of packing wheels, one smooth and the other spoked. The depth can be adjusted. It also works well for eastern gamagrass.
If you can find one, or two, they have the trailer type that could be pulled with a tool bar.
When planting, the seed is planted at the bottom of a slot which is not covered. When the seed sprouts the slot prevents the cattle from eating it. This is so you can plant directly in to a pasture as it is being grazed.

I got it home yesterday and started on the repairs. Someone did an excellent job of putting coulters on it and that would work if the Boots were flexible just too much downward pressure and the hubs cant take it. The shoe had been removed so I had to come up with another one. I bought 4 ripper foot points. I cut them to match the face of the boot the tip is approx. 3/4 lower than the heal , that is what was in the manual, A couple of the boots are worn where they make ground contact. I will get some 4" flat bar today to scab over both sides. I did not get any pics last night it was dark when I got the feet/shoe welded on. a side note is the front box / fertilizer box has never had anything in it . all paint is exactly as it would have been 50 some odd yrs ago when it came from the factory .

Im gonna lower the front coulters to the last notch for my experimenting phase but will replace them before fall. A greatplains wavy coulter will fit the hub.

got it all rebuilt this past weekend. I rebuilt the feet on the boots, added a seed deflector that was missing and built a new top link shut off , so when it is raised it closes the gates on the boxes. The test runs were in a variety of soil type and it seems to plant best with a little moister in the ground. I planted 4 acres of brown top millet in a little patch yesterday. I will evaluate how that does before I plant anything else.

Latest posts