Pasture Conditions

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
From the Beef Stocker Trends.....

http://enews.primediabusiness.com/enews/beef/v/336

"..........At this stage of the game, pasture conditions are lagging last year on average: Nationally, 52% was rated good or better compared to 55% during the same week last year, while 20% was deemed poor or worse compared to 12% last year.

States with the worst pasture conditions -- acreage rated poor or worse -- early on aren't much of a surprise, being areas where drought has lingered or eased back into gear: Arizona (76%), Colorado (48%), Florida (65%), Kansas (30%), New Mexico (59%), Oklahoma (39%) and Texas (44%).

On the wet side of the fence, States with the most lush pasture conditions -- rated good or better -- include: Alabama (85%), Arkansas (54%), California (100%), Georgia (54%), Idaho (82%), Illinois (86%), Indiana (82%), Iowa (73%), Kentucky (75%), Louisiana (55%), Maine (74%), Maryland (54%), Michigan (62%), Minnesota (83%), Mississippi (73%), Montana (63%), Nebraska (54%), Nevada (97%), North Carolina (55%), North Dakota (62%), Ohio (72%), Oregon (71%), South Carolina (54%), South Dakota (63%), Tennessee (73%), Utah (87%), Washington (86%), West Virginia (50%), Wisconsin (74%) and Wyoming (54%)........."

We are doing pretty well in this area. Hay is about 18" high here. Have not had a lot of rain, but the rivers are full from the spring run-off.

the grass is belly deep here right now.the cows an calves are fat an sassy.the hay field is belly high as well.hope for rain after we get it rolled up.

bigbull338":19ckkyz1 said:
the grass is belly deep here right now.the cows an calves are fat an sassy.the hay field is belly high as well.hope for rain after we get it rolled up.

What part of Texas are you in?

Here in Central Texas we're fixing to slip deeper into drought if we don't get some rain soon. I thought things might be lookin up at the first part of Spring. With the few showers we got, the grass started coming on, but now the heat is starting to burn everything up again.

dang, bigbull --- either you are in one of the very few areas of Texas that has had adequate moisture or your belly must hang awfully low, even way lower than in that picture of one of Crowder's gals from a few days ago, :shock: :lol:

The WV part is only partially true, they are not lush around here barely, squeaking by. We need rain badly! Again! What's new if it were to start raining today and did so for a week steadily we just might be back in excellent shape but, why should I complain there are guys buring up in Florida and Texas while my cows are still eating, I read a thing that said it would take Texas farmer twenty years to get the numbers back that they had before these droughts set in, it's ashame.

im in northeast tx off I30 between dallas an texarkana.we have had good spring rains.got the pools pretty full.but it is turning off dry again.i hope it dont drought again but it could.just as long as i get enough hay with this cutting ill be set.

I am between Tyler and Dallas and the pastures are starting to burn. First cutting of hay has been all over the board depending if you fertilized like normal or cut back due to price and if it was out prior to the rain of late April and early May.

pastures are getting dry and the tanks are inching back down, people are baling anywhere there is enough grass to make a bale of hay with.....please send rain

Latest posts