Pasture and Care Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Has anyone on the board had any experience with paying for pasture and care. I know several large outfits that fertilize and spray and care for cow calf pairs for $20 per pair per month. That doesn't include hay and mineral , etc. Land is getting unaffordable in my area and row croppers have got all the leased land. Im at carrying capacity now and calving season has just started. Just wanted to get some feedback. This would be for registered cattle.

$20 would cover the pasture only where we are. I won't overstock a place to avoid buying hay. The care is negotiable but you get what you pay for. $10/month is the most I pay. Mineral, supplement, vet etc is all extra.

3-4 years ago I put some cows out for $25/month for pasture and care. I furnished mineral and winter protein supplement. Would like to find more pasture with care.

Around here it's $26 a head per month. Cattle owner provides all feed and meds and land owner takes care of everything else. Most land owners seem to like it because there is no risk and they get a check every month, plus they have a captive hay customer. I'm at capacity now and am kicking this idea around. Sure wouldn't be much $ left after the payments though.

I'm paying a dollar a day for a pair. Just for pasture rent. I have to check them myself. Last year the pasture ran out of water so I was hauling water on top of that!!

Herford×Angus":1b1415b0 said:
I'm paying a dollar a day for a pair. Just for pasture rent. I have to check them myself. Last year the pasture ran out of water so I was hauling water on top of that!!

75 cents a day here, with no care. Fence repair, mineral, checking is all extra.

Texas PaPaw":2x63r49f said:
3-4 years ago I put some cows out for $25/month for pasture and care. I furnished mineral and winter protein supplement. Would like to find more pasture with care.

Papaw would you have any good contacts for leasing? As high as rent is here, I think I'm just as well off to ship them to someone else's place.

Herford×Angus":45loyaj7 said:

Oh man, you really don't realize how much a cow drinks into you start hauling it.

Lucky":3ky3j4rk said:
Around here it's $26 a head per month. Cattle owner provides all feed and meds and land owner takes care of everything else. Most land owners seem to like it because there is no risk and they get a check every month, plus they have a captive hay customer. I'm at capacity now and am kicking this idea around. Sure wouldn't be much $ left after the payments though.

Lucky would you know any land owners that you would recommend?

RanchMan90":2r96nst3 said:
$20 a month for lease and care is a bargain. Used to be 80¢ a day here, now crowding $1.

How does that pencil out once the cattle owner pays for supplements?
I assume the amount of hay fed would be very important, so cattle owners want to understock?

Stocker Steve":1zbniewu said:
RanchMan90":1zbniewu said:
$20 a month for lease and care is a bargain. Used to be 80¢ a day here, now crowding $1.

I assume the amount of hay fed would be very important, so cattle owners want to understock?
Would bring average cow cost per day up to $1 with winter supplements in this area. Cow calf should make that much per day if cows didn't have a debt load.

RanchMan90":sqvwsts1 said:
Stocker Steve":sqvwsts1 said:
RanchMan90":sqvwsts1 said:

Would bring average cow cost per day up to $1 with winter supplements in this area. Cow calf should make that much per day if cows didn't have a debt load.

RM that is right at what I calculated. I have more than that in mine with me doing the work. Quality leased ground in my area is outrageous and getting harder to find.

midTN_Brangusman":29ag9u3o said:
Texas PaPaw":29ag9u3o said:

Papaw would you have any good contacts for leasing? As high as rent is here, I think I'm just as well off to ship them to someone else's place.

None available that I know of close to me. Might want to check Ranchworldads.com

There is a pasture lease section.

midTN_Brangusman":3bc8mgrc said:
RanchMan90":3bc8mgrc said:
Stocker Steve":3bc8mgrc said:

RM that is right at what I calculated. I have more than that in mine with me doing the work. Quality leased ground in my area is outrageous and getting harder to find.
I agree. If I had any financial sense I would sell my land and buy cattle with it to put on lease and care programs. Cattle range.com has some posted. Haven't seen any under $1 a day lately. Found one in Louisiana for 80¢ a day recently but it filled up quick.

Texas PaPaw":2mg9jmbz said:
midTN_Brangusman":2mg9jmbz said:
Texas PaPaw":2mg9jmbz said:

None available that I know of close to me. Might want to check Ranchworldads.com

There is a pasture lease section.

Will do thank you!

RanchMan90":1fym2nfv said:
midTN_Brangusman":1fym2nfv said:
RanchMan90":1fym2nfv said:

I agree. If I had any financial sense I would sell my land and buy cattle with it to put on lease and care programs. Cattle range.com has some posted. Haven't seen any under $1 a day lately. Found one in Louisiana for 80¢ a day recently but it filled up quick.

I with you RM, I think that's the way to go. If prices were to get to they were few years back, I would keep my best 25% of the herd and sell the rest and make out like a bandit :banana:

midTN_Brangusman":m17v57ae said:
Lucky":m17v57ae said:

Lucky would you know any land owners that you would recommend?

I have a few that I would recommend. PM me if you are interested and I can see if they have room.

Latest posts