Parents driving their kids to school

Help Support CattleToday:

lets throw this out there also....
why does the school need to look like a manhatten office building..so much not needed...plain old building don't need all the fancy décor on the outside....

wasted money for appearance...build it to serve a purpose not decorate the neighborhood

plumber_greg":kg3mtp14 said:
Riding with their peers!!!!
We always laugh and say riding the school bus was torture until you got big enough to do the torturing.
School buses were meant to be survived.
CB, what is wrong that the younger generation is doing so much better than you. They have nothing that you didn't wish you had when you were young.
I am proud that my kids are gonna' be able to afford the things for their kids that I always wished I had.
I tell people to not pull the "everything's on credit and they're spoiling the kids", thing on me.
That is not always true.
2 of my 3 kids went to college and could buy a new car and pay cash about anytime they wanted. gs

I don't know if they are doing better they demand a higher standard of living and believe they are entitled
Yours are not the norm and I see it in my great grandchildren.
Maybe yours are not on credit the vast majority the only thing they own is a note.
If we ever fall on hard times we have a couple generations in trouble.
On this we will never agree.
I can see how much better off they are today most are obese and have a shorter life expectancy than their parents and grandparents that is a heII of an accomplishment by the current generation of parents. I have two I am convinced are destined to a short life.
There momma hates my guts for telling her to make the precious little lard asses do some work.
I don't remember but one fat
Kid in school.

Jogeephus":63dpvh18 said:
We used to have schools scattered all over the county and no child had to sit on a bus or even ride a bus for very long. The department of education sold the school board and the taxpayers on the idea of closing all these small schools and building larger more centralized schools because they would be more efficient. And more importantly to some, the bigger the school the better the football program. None of this ever panned out. I think they were figuring using that new math. The cost of running these larger schools has proved anything but cheap and the children have to spend a long time on the busses and our football program still sucks but the principals and vice-principles and assistant vice principals are making some serious money.
My exact thoughts....course I was lucky, usually only one or 2 stops before getting on or off.

1982vett":3m2d18ux said:
Jogeephus":3m2d18ux said:
We used to have schools scattered all over the county and no child had to sit on a bus or even ride a bus for very long. The department of education sold the school board and the taxpayers on the idea of closing all these small schools and building larger more centralized schools because they would be more efficient. And more importantly to some, the bigger the school the better the football program. None of this ever panned out. I think they were figuring using that new math. The cost of running these larger schools has proved anything but cheap and the children have to spend a long time on the busses and our football program still sucks but the principals and vice-principles and assistant vice principals are making some serious money.
My exact thoughts....course I was lucky, usually only one or 2 stops before getting on or off.
Course our school couldn't afford a bunch of busses. Policy was if you lived with two miles of the school you couldn't ride a bus.

1982vett":38vyo9gc said:
1982vett":38vyo9gc said:
Jogeephus":38vyo9gc said:
Course our school couldn't afford a bunch of busses (so they said). Policy was if you lived with two miles of the school you couldn't ride a bus.

HDRider":1hgzrlyy said:
Jo you hit my sore spot regarding public education. Schools are monstrosities creating monsters. These giant schools breed all the cliques that divide our children and in turn divide our nation. The trend toward giant schools needs to be reversed. Small schools serve us much better, and are more accountable.

I agree. But what about your football program? And also, if you were a shepherd wouldn't it be much easier to control your sheep if they were all in the same pasture? Just saying. ;-) :lol2:

1982vett":1kpx7vpu said:
1982vett":1kpx7vpu said:
Jogeephus":1kpx7vpu said:
Course our school couldn't afford a bunch of busses. Policy was if you lived with two miles of the school you couldn't ride a bus.
I rode the bus throughout HS....don't know if it was policy or what but bus never stopped for kids once we were inside the city limits so folks had to take kids to school or they walked. At the HS there wouldn't be a dozen cars belonging to students and they were all clunkers. We did have one girl in our class whose folks were well off. They bought her a new Ford Falcon her senior year. :lol:

Jogeephus":h19glibz said:
HDRider":h19glibz said:
Jo you hit my sore spot regarding public education. Schools are monstrosities creating monsters. These giant schools breed all the cliques that divide our children and in turn divide our nation. The trend toward giant schools needs to be reversed. Small schools serve us much better, and are more accountable.

I agree. But what about your football program? And also, if you were a shepherd wouldn't it be much easier to control your sheep if they were all in the same pasture? Just saying. ;-) :lol2:
Your logic is undeniable, your subtly divine.

My twin brother is the head of the transportation dept in a pretty big district near little Rock. All their buses have video cams and he said the things that show up on those cams would fit right in to any XXX rated movie. The drivers aren't allowed to do anything but talk to them. School board is the only ppl that can throw a kid off the bus, but if the driver has a problem, all they can do is pull over and call the police.

greybeard":s63zwhu1 said:
My twin brother is the head of the transportation dept in a pretty big district near little Rock. All their buses have video cams and he said the things that show up on those cams would fit right in to any XXX rated movie. The drivers aren't allowed to do anything but talk to them. School board is the only ppl that can throw a kid off the bus, but if the driver has a problem, all they can do is pull over and call the police.

Wasn't they way when we were growing up our driver was Coach Ford and had no problem busting your butt. Double jeopardy did apply as well when you got home. As I have heard dad say I can't make you learn I dam sure can make you shut up and sit down.

Caustic Burno":t6wtpwal said:
skyhightree1":t6wtpwal said:
dun":t6wtpwal said:
That's the way it is here too.

Same here so we pick up and drop off 50% of the time.. It's ridiculous to be on bus that long need more schools here.

Nothing has changed about the ride time it actually is the same to shorter in an AC bus to an AC school. Why is it ridiculous for them to be with their peers riding a taxpayer funded transportation to and from school. We wonder why we are
getting snowflakes. Just like go to a HS parking lot and look at all the cars mommy and daddy bought brand new.
Mom and Dad didn't have a car a piece when I was growing up neither did the majority of families.

Long as I pay my share of taxes and work to support the folks that don't and have money to put fuel in my vehicles to pick up or drop off my kids as I please it shouldn't matter. What you should be chastising is those that DON'T pay taxes and are on welfare or illegal that we pay for their bus ride and educations. If I have enough $$ to buy my kids new vehicles who cares ??? I want my kids to do a lot better than I did and have more things as long as they do all that we ask of them and are good kids. CB let it go its the past. If you wanted to stick with and stay in the past how come you are on a INTERNET FORUM... They didn't have that when you went to school either but you sure are using it today. Things progress people progress.. I bet you aren't sitting your arse on any horse drawn equipment either these days. LET IT GO CB past is gone no matter how much you want to reincarnate it.

We (my wife mostly) do our own trucking. My mother in law lives right across from the elementary, and my mom still teaches 3 days a week and we are on her way, so they also share duties. It would be over three hours a day on the bus, and that is time she could spend feeding her calves or "helping" load the fence trucks. It's less than a 20 minute drive for us, and usually we have something in town that needs doing anyhow. Another upside is that I know for a fact my 8 year old isn't stuck in a seat with a kid and his smart phone that has no parental controls.

Congratulations Sky your generation is the first that their children's life expectancy is shorter than their parents. Also my taxes have to pay for acres of concrete for pansy ass kids to drive their truck that mommy and daddy buy along with the insurance.
All the while still having to pay taxes for
diesel and maintain a fleet of half empty buses.
No this isn't 50 years ago not everything has improved the educational system is a joke most graduauating illiterate children.
The USA school system peaked in the 50's and 60's fueled by the Montgomery GI bill we ranked non 1.
Your kids may be able to drive to school your graduating dummies now ranked in the mid 20's out of the top fifty country.
Congratulations you taught a generation to drive but not how to learn then again that requires parental participation.

Caustic Burno":2kr7ok6t said:
Congratulations Sky your generation is the first that their children's life expectancy is shorter than their parents. Also my taxes have to pay for acres of concrete for pansy be nice kids to drive their truck that mommy and daddy buy along with the insurance.
No this isn't 50 years ago not everything has improved the educational system is a joke most graduauating illiterate children.
The USA school system peaked in the 50's and 60's fueled by the Montgomery GI bill we ranked non 1.
Your kids may be able to drive to school your graduating dummies now ranked in the mid 20's out of the top fifty country.
Congratulations you taught a generation to drive but not how to learn then again that requires parental participation.

I truly feel for you being such a disgruntled unhappy person and try to talk down to everyone then on the other end speak about singing in church on Sundays... You sure are a winner and I guess you told me ... NOT ... you have grandkids so will they be graduating dummies like everyone else's on the board ???? or will yours be excluded and special like you C.B. ?

I have no problem with them doing away with school buses . I have no problem paying tuition for my kids going to school instead of school taxes. This country is screwed up my opinion . It revolves around the poor. Hunger and poverty will make you get off your ass and go to work ..

This will go over like a turd in a punch bowl, but I gotta say it. The schools, are probably the only government run entity, that actually produces something-----------Graduates. Granted they're not as educated as we would like, but imagine if our young people received no education.

skyhightree1":3i6yc53k said:
Caustic Burno":3i6yc53k said:
Congratulations Sky your generation is the first that their children's life expectancy is shorter than their parents. Also my taxes have to pay for acres of concrete for pansy be nice kids to drive their truck that mommy and daddy buy along with the insurance.

I truly feel for you being such a disgruntled unhappy person and try to talk down to everyone then on the other end speak about singing in church on Sundays... You sure are a winner and I guess you told me ... NOT ... you have grandkids so will they be graduating dummies like everyone else's on the board ???? or will yours be excluded and special like you C.B. ?

Yep I have two that will and their parents have failed them just like the rest of your generation.
That is not disgruntled just fact you have raised a generation of kids with a lower educational threshhold and your parenting skills have shortened their life expectancy. You also raised the first generation that will not do as well in life. That's something to hang your hat on. Well done

Latest posts