Parents driving their kids to school

Help Support CattleToday:

DLD":3uv90ppk said:
There are just so many more activities and expectations for kids these days

My kids aren't interested in all the "activities," so I don't have to spend every ounce of spare time traveling to an event. I consider that lucky on my part, but I know some parents who would have a fit if their kids weren't involved in every activity known to man.

Brute 23":3k5nwmv4 said:
Our county is pretty spread out. Some kids have to ride an hour and a half before and after school. That's pretty rediculous.

You switch to a 4 day school week? The school districts where our employees on both our Nevada and Wyoming operations send their kids are pretty rural and far flung (Nevada more so than Wyoming but both are pretty scattered). In the last 5-6 years, both places have switched to a 4 day school week (no Fridays).

Driving the kids to school lets the parents spend more time with the children while in the car. A lot of time the talks are very advantageous and the parent finds out something that they might not have.

hurleyjd":1bioxnva said:
Driving the kids to school lets the parents spend more time with the children while in the car. A lot of time the talks are very advantageous and the parent finds out something that they might not have.

That's probably true in most cases. Since my kids aren't the activity type and gone all the time, I get a lot of natural quality time with them anyway.

I debate to myself about the "activity" thing. Mine has school dance team practice 2 days a week. The other has archery 2 days a week. Neither is year round. I know something's are every afternoon 11 1/2 months a year. That would get old to me personally.

It's about the kids Bigfoot, one of mine did everything possible and really to much. Between Cheer leading, Dance Line, Archery, Golf, Soccer, Softball, and FFA we stayed on the go. But she's off to school now and we sure miss taking her around.

Bigfoot":2gxnl51u said:
I debate to myself about the "activity" thing. Mine has school dance team practice 2 days a week. The other has archery 2 days a week. Neither is year round. I know something's are every afternoon 11 1/2 months a year. That would get old to me personally.

I agree. I can't even imagine being a parent that is on the go year round with school activities for their kids. Luckily, I've never had to deal with that, but I'm with you, it would get old with me.

I never told my kids they couldn't do things, but they just never had the burn like other kids, they would rather be at home or doing their own thing somewhere else.

My son did little league in elementary one year and he was done. He did academic team one year in middle school, and he was tired of it. Now that he's in high school, he doesn't want to do any activities, and that's fine with me. He has all A's and scored high on his ACT, so it's not like he's in the corner wasting away.

My daughter did cheerleading a few years, but that was it. She grew tired of that as well; however, it didn't hurt her socially; she could make friends with a stick.

I know some parents, however, who would have a spell if their kids didn't want to participate in activities. Some even hope church is over in time on Sunday to get to practice or a game. That's not for me.

Personally, sitting on bleachers while your kids participate in sports is not time together. My kids and i would rather spend that time together at home or doing some activity together.

these days, the big thing is, "it's all about what the kids want." I may be a little old fashioned, but in my day, it was a norm for parents to have say in their kid's lives. I think a parent should be able to keep their kid's lives reasonable and not so stressful.

It's all a waste of time if the kid is doing it because of mom and dad. If they have a real passion for something by all means encourage them whether it's group sports or individual activities. One of mine loved band and played every year in HS...the other was a cheerleader and nothing else. Both were pretty good athletes too but never played competitively.

TexasBred":1c08gt8o said:
It's all a waste of time if the kid is doing it because of mom and dad. If they have a real passion for something by all means encourage them whether it's group sports or individual activities. One of mine loved band and played every year in HS...the other was a cheerleader and nothing else. Both were pretty good athletes too but never played competitively.

True, it does no good if it's only the parents desire. I'm not necessarily talking about the "forcing a kid to take piano lessons" like in the old days, but I think a lot of parents condition their kids early on, especially with sports.

I know a guy who is a sports fanatic and coached high school basketball at one time. Several years ago, he showed us his son's 6 month pictures, and he was posing with a basketball. I'm sure sports will be encouraged in his life.

Speaking of band, that reminds me of my daughter. When she was in sixth grade, they introduced band to the students in an attempt to recruit students. They made it look so exciting with all the bells and whistles. She thought about joining. I didn't tell her no, but I wasn't too excited about it because I really just thought she fell for the sales pitch, so she didn't do it.

Fast forward 7 years to a few weeks ago. We were riding along talking about school and she said something like, "dad I am so glad you didn't want me to join band in middle school; I know now I would have hated it "

herofan":iq6ckwmu said:
True, it does no good if it's only the parents desire. I'm not necessarily talking about the "forcing a kid to take piano lessons" like in the old days, but I think a lot of parents condition their kids early on, especially with sports.

I know a guy who is a sports fanatic and coached high school basketball at one time. Several years ago, he showed us his son's 6 month pictures, and he was posing with a basketball. I'm sure sports will be encouraged in his life.

Speaking of band, that reminds me of my daughter. When she was in sixth grade, they introduced band to the students in an attempt to recruit students. They made it look so exciting with all the bells and whistles. She thought about joining. I didn't tell her no, but I wasn't too excited about it because I really just thought she fell for the sales pitch, so she didn't do it.

Fast forward 7 years to a few weeks ago. We were riding along talking about school and she said something like, "dad I am so glad you didn't want me to join band in middle school; I know now I would have hated it "

Band nerd here. (Trumpet). It was one of the best things I ever did. Had a tight group of fellow band nerds and we still stay in touch. In fact, just heard from a few of them today. Band rules!
(It helped that although we were a small school, we had several child prodigies (not me!) and had one of the last all-brass marching bands in the country. Won every competition and got to lead off the parade at Disney World. Seeing Mickey backstage with his "head" off was traumatizing).

It seems like the band kids at my school are a different breed; the band culture has really changed from my day, they're kinda viewed as the weird group.

I'm not saying that as a blanket statement that covers band everywhere; I'm just speaking about my school.

When I was in school, band was just another activity like baseball, cheerleading, football, or academic team. Being in band made one
popular.

These days, it seems like a weird crew, and when the parents show up, it's easy to see where they get it. Even the former band kids of my generation agree.

Like I said, I'm not saying it's that way everywhere, but it is where I'm from.

herofan":3fszeq1s said:
It seems like the band kids at my school are a different breed; the band culture has really changed from my day, they're kinda viewed as the weird group.

I'm not saying that as a blanket statement that covers band everywhere; I'm just speaking about my school.

When I was in school, band was just another activity like baseball, cheerleading, football, or academic team. Being in band made one
popular.

These days, it seems like a weird crew, and when the parents show up, it's easy to see where they get it. Even the former band kids of my generation agree.

Like I said, I'm not saying it's that way everywhere, but it is where I'm from.

It's the same way as you described in middle Georgia. But the majority of the kids are either fat or really skinny. Just a different breed but they seem like nice kids.

Latest posts