Palpating cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
Is there a point in pregnancy where it is dangerous to a cow, or rather, I guess I mean to say, to the potential unborn calf, to have her palpated or can it be done at any point during the term?

george

As long as a vet or qualified person does it, it won't bother the calf, no matter when it's done. Of course after the cow gets past about 7 months you probably wouldn't have to palpate to determine if she's bred, it should be fairly obvious by looking at her.

The local vet's assistant told me that the vet could palpate after 30 days. Seems mighty quick to me. Is that possible????????????

george

Depends on who is doing it. There are vets who can palp at 24 days gestation, but all they do all day long is palp cows. They're feeling for the vesicle at the size of a head of a match at that age...

Most vets can safely palp at 6 weeks gestation (42 days) I've palped twins at 33 days but I prefer 6 weeks since there's much less danger of accidentally popping the embryo (although I've never done that to my knowledge) and I'll guarantee a pregnancy at 60 days.

So...yes, that person could do it that early if really good at it...

Vicky the vet":2jpgevsn said:
Depends on who is doing it. There are vets who can palp at 24 days gestation, but all they do all day long is palp cows. They're feeling for the vesicle at the size of a head of a match at that age...

Most vets can safely palp at 6 weeks gestation (42 days) I've palped twins at 33 days but I prefer 6 weeks since there's much less danger of accidentally popping the embryo (although I've never done that to my knowledge) and I'll guarantee a pregnancy at 60 days.

So...yes, that person could do it that early if really good at it...

Thanks Vicki. Very informative. As a vet do you agree then that palpation can safely be done at any time in the gestation period?

george

Depending on who is doing the palping, it can be safe at any period. HOWEVER, if you are too rough, you can destroy the fetus up to 90 days I'm sure. It's hard to knock a calf out between 4 and 8 months of gestation.

Also, I guarantee at 60 days, since you would see membranes or the fetus if expelled after this time. Before this, they can resorb the entire uterine contents with no sign.

Clear as mud?
V

Vicky the vet":2y85d5kf said:
Depending on who is doing the palping, it can be safe at any period. HOWEVER, if you are too rough, you can destroy the fetus up to 90 days I'm sure. It's hard to knock a calf out between 4 and 8 months of gestation.

Also, I guarantee at 60 days, since you would see membranes or the fetus if expelled after this time. Before this, they can resorb the entire uterine contents with no sign.

Clear as mud?
V

Thanks again Vicky - absolutely clear as coffee ;-)

george

Latest posts