P.O.S. Hay Thieves!!

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a hay exporter here in town I buy from time to time, they call the "kick outs" 2nds here. Good hay but may have a dirt clod off color in one or two flakes.

Dave":dyodo11b said:
Kathie in Thorp":dyodo11b said:
Yup, Dave -- It is really difficult here to build a relationship ("can we buy from you every year?") not just because of the high local prices, but because the producers have learned not to trust anyone that is small scale.

I am surprised that you don't just go to Anderson's export yard and buy the kick outs. I have several friends who do that. Not at Anderson's but at export yards in Hermiston and Boardman. The export kick outs are good hay. They just have some sort of blemish or maybe bleached out side on the bale. You know that stuff they export has to all be prefect.

We haven't gotten in dire straits enough that we've tried that yet, Dave. There are 3 or 4 places here that sell the kick-outs. I need to ask around, as I have heard some complaints of moldy kick-outs -- don't know if that's a problem with just one of those outfits, or occasionally all of them.

I am surprised that you don't just go to Anderson's export yard and buy the kick outs. I have several friends who do that. Not at Anderson's but at export yards in Hermiston and Boardman. The export kick outs are good hay. They just have some sort of blemish or maybe bleached out side on the bale. You know that stuff they export has to all be prefect.[/quote]

We haven't gotten in dire straits enough that we've tried that yet, Dave. There are 3 or 4 places here that sell the kick-outs. I need to ask around, as I have heard some complaints of moldy kick-outs -- don't know if that's a problem with just one of those outfits, or occasionally all of them.[/quote]

Mold would be one of the reasons bales get kicked so I imagine it is at all the export outfits to some degree. But define mold. Becasue my cows have sure ate lots of hay over the years with a little mold. Never hurt them any. And can you kick out a kick out? If a bale is too bad simply don't take it. I know a guy across the freeway from you and up on the edge of the hill who runs several hundred cows. He feeds nothing but kick outs all winter. He has a great looking herd.

I have known of several situations where hay was bought and paid for, or agreed on and to be paid part then and part at pickup. Then, when the guy went to get the hay, alot of it was gone. Owner said was "stolen" but would make it right, moneywise. In reality, he had gotten an opportunity to sell it for more money, so sold it and just said it was stolen. That happens quite a bit with some of the people around who can't be trusted. Hopefully, your hay supplier wouldn't do such a thing.

stocky":l8xfvli9 said:
I have known of several situations where hay was bought and paid for, or agreed on and to be paid part then and part at pickup. Then, when the guy went to get the hay, alot of it was gone. Owner said was "stolen" but would make it right, moneywise. In reality, he had gotten an opportunity to sell it for more money, so sold it and just said it was stolen. That happens quite a bit with some of the people around who can't be trusted. Hopefully, your hay supplier wouldn't do such a thing.

This guy is straight up, Stocky. Our jobs cross paths frequently, so I know him pretty well. And if he'd been inclined to do that, he would have had no problem selling the entire stack. The average flatbed trailer around here will haul 3-4 tons, so the POS likely just took one load.

Kathie, glad to hear he is straight up, really sorry about the hay being stolen. Seems like people will steal some hay, figuring it won't be discovered nearly as quickly as it would be if they took it all. Around here, people are likely to pick them up a round bale or two at a time with their pickups.

Kathie in Thorp":rhr3cmf5 said:
Alan":rhr3cmf5 said:
Everyone lies

You really think so, Alan? I don't. Could't do business with many of the people I do, if I believed that.

Yes I do believe it. Everyone lies to some degree. ie; "I didn't say that", "traffic was bad", "sorry boss I'm pretty sick today" , " why yes Jo, I think I would love eating some beaver stew".

Some lie at every little thing, some just figure it's just a little stretch of the truth ...... Everyone lies........ Except me.

Alan":1pyfqqbr said:
Kathie in Thorp":1pyfqqbr said:
Alan":1pyfqqbr said:
Everyone lies

You really think so, Alan? I don't. Could't do business with many of the people I do, if I believed that.

Yes I do believe it. Everyone lies to some degree. ie; "I didn't say that", "traffic was bad", "sorry boss I'm pretty sick today" , " why yes Jo, I think I would love eating some beaver stew".

Some lie at every little thing, some just figure it's just a little stretch of the truth ...... Everyone lies........ Except me.
Then there is "the dress looks nice", "nice haircut", "no they don;t make you look fat", "you sure don;t sweat much for being so fat"

Kathie in Thorp":1sa3d2fm said:
Alan":1sa3d2fm said:
Everyone lies

I think ALan is almost right.. everyone HAS lied.. at one time or another. Doesnt mean they do it consistently, just HAVE before.
Now .. that being said.. does everyone steal? no. I dont think so ..

Had hay buyers try the quantity discount deal. Price hay then they said how mu h less if I take all of it. Load first load nevef hear from again. Never intended to return
Won't happen again. Same as stealing. Discount on the last load only.

Latest posts