Overseeding Bahia Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on a winter grass that can be overseeded into an established tract of Pensacola/Argentine Bahia grass pasture. Fescue is out down to how far south I am. I just want something to graze in the winter months. Oats/Rye Grass is acceptable but never had much luck renting a pasture overseeder (stand is usually not good). Is there any grass I am overlooking?? Hints on overseeding the oats/Rye grass would also be appreciated.

jscunn":1eyiz5pp said:
Anyone have any ideas on a winter grass that can be overseeded into an established tract of Pensacola/Argentine Bahia grass pasture. Fescue is out down to how far south I am. I just want something to graze in the winter months. Oats/Rye Grass is acceptable but never had much luck renting a pasture overseeder (stand is usually not good). Is there any grass I am overlooking?? Hints on overseeding the oats/Rye grass would also be appreciated.

Ryegrass is usually the norm but seed prices have been high the last few years.

I have put out ryegrass with a slinger/spreader and gotten excellent results, but the bahia was real short.

Crinson Clover is excellent also. The AU Robin Variety grows all winter here.

I had good luck on 5 acres last year with winter rye, I broadcast the seed and then went over the area with my disc blades straight and I had a real good stand.

I had it rolled into hay before I spread the seed and the bahia was real short.

I am about 50 miles N of the Fla line.

I had good luck on 5 acres last year with winter rye, I broadcast the seed and then went over the area with my disc blades straight and I had a real good stand.

I had it rolled into hay before I spread the seed and the bahia was real short. I had thought I might hurt my bahia field by using the disk, but it is the best it has ever looked. I think it may help it in the long run.

I am about 50 miles N of the Fla line.

Having the bahia short is the key. Best to overseed right after cutting it for hay or flash grazing it really short under high pressure. You've got to get sunlight down to the soil surface and reduce the competition from the summer grass if you want the winter grass to get a good start. Remember that the winter grass is having to start from seed where the summer grass already has a fully developed root system, so it's like the winter grass having to start 3 carlengths back in a drag race. No way it can ever catch up if the bahia is over an inch or two tall.
Good luck! OL JR :)

Have good results with ryegrass in bahia pastures. Key is to graze close or burn pasture off before seeding. I also have used a sling seeder with a ten foot chain hooked to the draw bar and then connected to a chain harrow or chain drag. This works great. Also lets you know where you have been.

I didn't have much luck with the rye last year. I saw some that did but they doubled the poundage of seed put out and fertilized. You can buy a lot of hay for that much output. I think the biggest problem was lack of rain in fall/winter for me. I will be over-seeding rye again this year. I over seeded right after the last cut so the Bahia was really short.

This spring I over-seeded some with Bahia (boy is that seed expensive these days) with moderate success. Got some pretty thick patches in some areas and nothing in others.

Yesterday I was quoted 1.70 a pound for Tift 9 and bought some Pensacola last week for $75 per bag - 40lbs I think.

I had good luck with overseeding bahia with red clover....I've done it for two winters now and my bahia pasture has improved. Once you plant it...it comes back each year...as long as you cut the seed heads off after the cows have grazed it. Puts nitrogen back in the ground...saves on N $.

I just can't find any bahia grass seed...everywhere I check Tif-9 is out....would love to know where in South Georgia you can get Tif-9 for $1.70 a pound!!!!!

cheers, Bill

Sent you a PM with some contact info if you need seed. Be glad to help you line some up. I don't know how far into Al you are but if you need several bags it would probably worth your time coming this way. It seems the retail price is about 100% markup.

Whitch week do y'all think is the best to over seed. I was guessing about mid October?

I use 50 lbs per acre when over seeding with rye grass. Best if grass is short like others said. Hold off on the nitrogen until bahia goes dormant.

Is there any type of rye grass seed that works better than others?

Last year rye grass seed was hard to come by here.

After you spread do you rum your harrow until the ground is disturbed and just enough to cut the seed intot eh ground?

Latest posts