Overseeded pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
We overseeded our pastures about 5 weeks ago- they had gotten all brown and dried up in August (!). Since then the weather has been really good for grass growing lots of rain and moderate temps.
My question is, when can I put the cows on it? I don't want to harm the new grass, but it's about 4 inches tall and reallybright green.
Also, does this grass have much nutritional value? I know in the cold parts of the year grass really doesn't have much nutrition, but what about brand new fresh green stuff?
I won't bother putting the cows on it if it's bad for the grass or only marginally nutritious for the cows.

Thanks!
Susie

With that young of a stand of grass the problem is that the cows will pull it out of the ground when they graze it. With new grass the best way to go out and grab a hand full and tug. If the roots pull out of the ground it isn't ready for cows. If it breaks off leaving the roots in the ground it is ready to graze.
Did it rain any up your way the last two nights? With the way it has rained here the last two days I wouldn't be putting cows on new grass. They would probably turn it into a mud hole. It looks like good ole Western Washington winter has arrived. I took a picture of the sun so come March I will remember what it looks like.
Dave

Thanks Dave- I'll go pull on it and see what happens--
Yeah it's been raining since, well I'm not sure... Friday we went to Stevenson, WA for a chicken show it was raining when we got there, was raining the entire time, not too bad on the drive home, but yep, raining ever since...
Took me over 2 hours to get home last night, usually a 35 minute trip... great how this rain has coincided with Daylight Savings... :( what's that thing you were talking about.... S-U-N ???

anyway, I'm not going to put them on the grass right now-- you're right too wet! They're in a small pasture for the winter- will let them out perhaps in better weather after I check the grass... it sure looks pretty though bright green enhanced by the metal gray sky.

Susie

Susie,

If you don't need the pasture right now I would wait until the ground freezes up and then pasture it. New seedling grasses at this time of year are putting all their reserves into the roots for winter survival. Once it freezes you can pasture it.

Bobg

Dave,

I believe there is also another couple on the forums that go by SusieDave or something like that and are from the Spokane area. My mistake on that. No you won't have to worry too much about freezing on the west side. Has anyone on that side of the state tried planting forage turnips for a winter crop. I know one of the larger ranchers did it down on the Snake River and they run yearlings on them all winter without feeding any hay.

Bobg

I plan on growing something next year-- this year I've been giving them pumpkins from local growers-------- they love 'em!
I know a gentleman who grew Mangelwortz (sp) for his cattle-- ( Stock beets)
Is there a specific variety of turnips that is best for feeding?
I enjoy giving them treats, especially since I'm getting the produce for free. They really like broccolli too.

Susie

Susie,

Here's a link to forage turnips: http://www.alseed.com/prodinfo.php?pid= ... 8de207a4d2

You may also want to check out triticale, they are using it in the Moses Lake area. It grows as long as the it above 32*. I would like to try some, plant in Sept and graze all winter and then let it grow for hay. Protein is fairly good and the cows I've seen on it look good.

Bobg

Bobg...you were thinking of the post we shared pertaining to a lease field that we needed to plant. Finally did get some seed down after discing....went with a orchard grass/brome mix after talking with the growers around here...just now starting to show some color...DMc

You said that pastures in the cold don't have much value in the cold weather. I keep thirty days worth of pasture that we use in Dec./Jan and my cows don't want any hay while they have it. They'll go out in the snow and look for it before they eat hay.

Latest posts