Over seeding Pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
I am getting ready to over seed and fertilize some pastures in October. I am wanting to use a 70-20-20 mix with the fertilize and mix in my grass seed and spread it all at once. I am planning on using a 50/50 mix of fescue and orchard grass and adding about a pound of ladino clover in with it. How much fertilize and grass seed will I need to buy to cover 20 acres? I have never fertilized and sowed before so I am not exactly sure how to figure this out. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

j&lfarms":2b5qqczr said:
I am getting ready to over seed and fertilize some pastures in October. I am wanting to use a 70-20-20 mix with the fertilize and mix in my grass seed and spread it all at once. I am planning on using a 50/50 mix of fescue and orchard grass and adding about a pound of ladino clover in with it. How much fertilize and grass seed will I need to buy to cover 20 acres? I have never fertilized and sowed before so I am not exactly sure how to figure this out. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I wouldn't wait until October.

The seed and the fertilizer will sling different distances. Fertilizer probably twice as far as the grass seed and about 1/3 further then the clover.

TennesseeTuxedo":lnkqknk4 said:
j&lfarms":lnkqknk4 said:

I wouldn't wait until October.

I agree with TT. I am not far from you and our Agent would crawl all over you if you wait that long. You should actually seed now. I would do it in separate operations. Are you using the endophyte friendly fescue?

Regarding how much fertilizer, Phosphorus is not needed in most SC KY soils I am told. So you could get it mixed as something closer to 50-0-20. How much per acre depends on the soil.

j&lfarms":28dv1s8w said:
I would say 15 to 20 lbs. each of fescue and OG and 2 to 3 lb of clover give or take. If you mix it in a buggy just try to double spread it and you should be ok. Going over it with a grass harrow to scratch it up will help too.
I agree with the others, you should think about doing it now.

Latest posts