Over Grown Jake

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice bird. Just had a kid in my county shoot one about the samesize only 2 lbs lighter and 1/4in less beard but it had 1 1/4 in spurs.

mnmtranching":3ppopnok said:
That is one heck of a nice Jake. 8) Is that a Eastern Subspecies?

Yup, that's all we have around here.

Wow I dont know alot about Turkeys but that thing looks huge..rofl

And also Hey Dun , been away I have for a bit but maybe I can get on here and post a bit now. Work is hectic.

I think we are only a year or two away from a open season on turkeys here. Biologists said, Wild turkeys could never survive this far North. A few of us released Eastern strain, and they are thriving.
This past Feb the state boys released 17 live trapped wild birds a couple miles away. Guess WHAT? the DNR wants to take credit for the success. So they can sell licenses. I see Turkeys everyday on the way to the ranch. Some very large longbeards running around.

Parks and Wildlife Dept purchased quite a few Eastern turkeys from over in Alabama, Miss, Georgia and such and released in the East Texas area trying to get them started again. They've had good enough success the last 10 years or so that they actually have a very short limited hunting season now. Read in a paper just last week where they were releasing more. They've put tracking systems on some of them and tracked their range and followed up on breeding and survival rates and things are looking good. They still have a lot of good habitat over in that part of the state.

Once again I find myself asking which is which?

Nice turkey, Dun. You look exactly like I'd have thought you would.

We used to have so many turkeys when I lived at Liberty Chapel that they would stop traffic crossing the road.

Latest posts