Talk about over paid!

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
All MLB players are over paid, but a pitcher getting 14 mil for one year just seems nuts. I wondr what that comes to per hour!

It speaks volumes about what is important to people. They "put their money where they place their interest." I see all the interest in college basketball and rarely do I see the academic achievers get any where close to the same attention that someone who can dunk a basketball gets.

Follow the money Ron. You can't fill Rupp Arena, nor will ESPN pay millions, to watch a debate team.

Besides, sports are entertainment. Look at what Hollywood pays the top flight actors their services which generally take a fraction of the time a baseball season takes.

dun":1i9bxd53 said:
All MLB players are over paid, but a pitcher getting 14 mil for one year just seems nuts. I wondr what that comes to per hour!

Kershaw just signed a deal for 31 million a year for 7 years

inyati13":2a4yb5wr said:
It speaks volumes about what is important to people. They "put their money where they place their interest." I see all the interest in college basketball and rarely do I see the academic achievers get any where close to the same attention that someone who can dunk a basketball gets.
Athletics is self sustaining at most universities and also puts money into the general scholarship fund. Not everyone wants to spend their life peering thru a microscope. ;-)

cross_7":onu1t22m said:
dun":onu1t22m said:

Kershaw - isn't that the guy Michael Wacha stoned in the playoffs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dega Moo":1tbuj45y said:
cross_7":1tbuj45y said:
dun":1tbuj45y said:

Kershaw - isn't that the guy Michael Wacha stoned in the playoffs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the game and love the direction it's headed
It doesn't get any better than a pitching duel and have to play the game like it should be played opposed to watching a 250# gorilla swing for the fence and hit a nubber to the 3b and not even making an attempt to beat it out cause he's so slow he couldn't out run me.

If you were going to build a baseball player I don't think you could build one better than Mike Trout
The game is going back to the old ways, how it was once played and it's making the game better

TT and TB, I agree with both of you. It goes back to dun's original message. We all are saying that if you "follow the money" people are more interested in sports and it plays a bigger role in our lives than academics. I am only lamenting that fact. Universities are more well known for their football and basketball programs than their academics. But imagine if the average person was as excited about their children learning as they are about their favorite sports team!!! Balance, we need balance.

cross_7":1yrz1wya said:
The game is going back to the old ways, how it was once played and it's making the game better
We need more Pete Roses and less arods

dun":2p7cjw7i said:
cross_7":2p7cjw7i said:
We need more Pete Roses and less arods

I agree
Pete played the game right
Harper for the Nationals may have a few screws loose but he plays the game right

When free agency freed Pete Rose from the Reds, he went to the Phillies for $400,000. Sounds like a bargain, now.
Babe Ruth, negotiating his 1933 contract with the Yankees, wanted $40,000. Informed that $40K was more than the president made, Babe countered, "I had a better year."

Nolan Ryan was one of my heros when I was a kid; my only sports hero. Somewhere along the way I lost interest in all things sports related. I absolutely despise it now. Maybe because it seems the fun is gone. But I can't stand to even be near people that seem obsessed with sports. I vacate quickly. I understand it is entertaining, but I can't sit still that long.

Dega Moo":1ilrb3pl said:
cross_7":1ilrb3pl said:
dun":1ilrb3pl said:

Yeah the one that had to be taken out in the 5th because of a 9 run lead. :lol2:

Ouachita":2ogepu60 said:
Nolan Ryan was one of my heros when I was a kid; my only sports hero. Somewhere along the way I lost interest in all things sports related. I absolutely despise it now. Maybe because it seems the fun is gone. But I can't stand to even be near people that seem obsessed with sports. I vacate quickly. I understand it is entertaining, but I can't sit still that long.
Um, why are you reading a baseball thread in the Sports section?

cross_7":1yr0w52h said:
I love the game and love the direction it's headed
It doesn't get any better than a pitching duel and have to play the game like it should be played opposed to watching a 250# gorilla swing for the fence and hit a nubber to the 3b and not even making an attempt to beat it out cause he's so slow he couldn't out run me.

If you were going to build a baseball player I don't think you could build one better than Mike Trout
Cross are we watching the same game called baseball? The old ways was to get up there and hit the ball. Run like he// and try to score runs. Now days it's nothing more than strategy and waiting on "your pitch". While you do that you are called out on strikes 3 times. Pitchers don't pitch. They try to out think hitters. Nobody is even capable of pitching an entire game anymore and even if he is he's usually pulled for a long reliever, then a short reliever, then a finisher. Baseball to me is pretty much BS anymore. Mike Trout is almost a freak of nature especially for a "white boy". Big, strong, fast and quick. One in a million.

TexasBred":1337fd16 said:
cross_7":1337fd16 said:
I love the game and love the direction it's headed.............
Cross are we watching the same game called baseball? The old ways was to get up there and hit the ball. Run like he// and try to score runs. Now days it's nothing more than strategy and waiting on "your pitch". While you do that you are called out on strikes 3 times. Pitchers don't pitch. They try to out think hitters. Nobody is even capable of pitching an entire game anymore and even if he is he's usually pulled for a long reliever, then a short reliever, then a finisher. Baseball to me is pretty much BS anymore. Mike Trout is almost a freak of nature especially for a "white boy". Big, strong, fast and quick. One in a million.

TB got to tell you when I was a young man I read an article written by Ted Williams describing hitting a baseball and key point number one was know what your batting average was for a pitch in every conceivable place in and around the plate and then trying to make the pitcher throw to one of your strengths. It was all about situation, count and placement. The entire act of pitching and hitting always was a true head game between pitcher, catcher and batter. I thought Williams article was so darn important that I found it in book form probably 20 years later for a daughter who played softball and a nephew who played baseball. I intend to get copies for my grandsons and my great nephews when they get old enough to play the game for real.

The lower mound, a shoe box sized strike zone, no throw inside zone all coupled with a wink and nod about steroids gave us some terrible years of baseball but with the strike zone again approaching the legal definition and some attention on the part of baseball to drugs it's become much more the game it was once. While I do wish they would raise the mound back like Cross I think it's returning to its roots and I find it much more enjoyable to watch than it was just five years ago.