Out of hay question.

Help Support CattleToday:

peacemaker

Reaction score
Hi All
Have a couple questions need advice.

1. Just got a call from (Parent's) They live on the farm full time but are getting older & cant do a whole lot. Apparently the cow's got into all the hay roll's and spread it all out & basically ruined most of it. O.K. theres only six of them. Out of the six about 4 are pregnant. Called all around and can't get any local hay. Here in Southwestern corner of VA we still have good bit of green grass showing. Hard to believe but true. So do you think I'll be alright until I can hopefully find some. the area the cow's are in now is about 40 acres of pasture so with just (6) do you think they can pick enough to be O.K.
One local guy told me not to worry at all that they will do just as good without it?

2. Parents have been feeding a 2 gallon bucket of dry mixed food every day to the six cow's ( about 1/2 corn & half beef mix) Some of the locals told them to stop at this point cause the calves are due in about 2 months and that they will grow too fast & big inside the cow and could cause problems if they keep up this feeding. Should I have them to stop or being that we have no hay should I tell them to continue feeding the dry mix. definatley dont want calving problems so if I need to stop the feeding I will.

Thanks everyone, They just look so darn good at this point I hate to see anything go wrong. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

you might cut back but i wouldnt let them get in poor condition thoses calves will keep growing no matter how thin a cow gets. they will starve a cow to death in that last trimester and still be too big to deliver if that were the case . plus getting them bred back

Hard to tell without seeing the pasture but since the local guy said they will be alright he probably has seen the pasture. Six head on 40 acres should be alright I would think but you could have some square bales delivered just in case. Most places have square bales for horses. Wouldn't hurt to keep the feed up and give them a bale or two a week until you can get there and assess the pasture.

NEARLYBROKE":2lpubzf9 said:
WHAT PART OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA DO YOU LIVE IN ? ANYWHERE CLOSE TO CHILHOWIE ? I COULD SPARE YOU A COUPLE OF ROLLS.

Is this board great or what? See someone has already offered to help out.

Hey, thanks
Just getting back in from cleaning out the chainsaw's. They really needed it. Nearlybroke I think I'm about 90-100 miles from you but when I get up that way in about a week or so if I cant find any I'll definatley take you up on that and pay you whatever you need. I'm gonna pull a 16' tandum with me so I'll have a way to get some. right now I have the trailer so the parents couldnt help even if they wanted to. (he's 79) I really wouldn't put that on him. Your right This is a great board I read here almost every night. By the way I'm in lee county close to Joneville. The cow's mean alot to me and with just starting out I feel like I got some real nice stock. Want to keep it that way.... Deal for some one... If any one has the hay and the time I will pay a good premium to have some delivered to the farm. anywhere from a roll or two right on up to a full load. Just pm me and let me know your price... I'm 8 miles from the town of Jonesville. Thanks

flaboy-":3d0eu50t said:
NEARLYBROKE":3d0eu50t said:
WHAT PART OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA DO YOU LIVE IN ? ANYWHERE CLOSE TO CHILHOWIE ? I COULD SPARE YOU A COUPLE OF ROLLS.

Is this board great or what? See someone has already offered to help out.
And he's nearly broke at that! ;-) This is a great board!

I was fixing to feed hay Sunday and a house renter that has some sims came up and asked could I sell him some hay. I told him I could help him out but not really feeling froggy about it. He told me to just leave it outside the fence when I got it out of the barn. I had to tell him he would have to come get it at one of the other places as I needed all I had up there as if we go through April I might to haul more up here. He seemed put off but agreed. I let him have it practically at cost. It had been outside.

In my area, running out of hay at this time of year could be a sign of someone needing to do a better job of planning.

Wewild I totally respect the fact that you have been on the forum board a while and your right I am new and learning. but... if you would have read the post you would see that I didnt run out. my elderly parents accidentally let the cows get to all the round bales and spread it out and ruin it. This too I accept responsibility for as I should have been there. but in the future at least on the beginner area of the board you could try to be a little helpful instead of insulting. I'm glad all the people on the board are not like you. good day.

peacemaker":1e3zgn42 said:
Wewild I totally respect the fact that you have been on the forum board a while and your right I am new and learning. but... if you would have read the post you would see that I didnt run out. my elderly parents accidentally let the cows get to all the round bales and spread it out and ruin it. This too I accept responsibility for as I should have been there. but in the future at least on the beginner area of the board you could try to be a little helpful instead of insulting. I'm glad all the people on the board are not like you. good day.

I think he was referring to the renter. Just my thought, only he knows for sure. :lol:

You know donna your probably right. I guess I'm just a little stressed out over this. and if that's the case & it wasnt directed at me.I totally apoligize to wewild. I am definatly not a hot head. probably the farthest thing from it. I do appreciate the advise from everyone. I don't post a whole lot but I have been reading the board for some time and have learned more here than anywhere else or from any book. this board truely is a great asset to anyone raising cattle. Special thanks to those who pm'ed me.

There is someone selling last years 4*4 rolls that have been kept in a barn in Shady Valley, TN for $15 a roll. If that is not too far I can find out if he has any left.

peacemaker":1gcf2m5k said:
Wewild I totally respect the fact that you have been on the forum board a while and your right I am new and learning. but... if you would have read the post you would see that I didnt run out. my elderly parents accidentally let the cows get to all the round bales and spread it out and ruin it. This too I accept responsibility for as I should have been there

I had cows break in last year and I think I posted it. Lost more hay than I should have and lost some cattle because I didn't do a good job of checking. I still can't figure out why I missed it. I just never expected it and it wasn't in an area of a good size barn that I had a reason to check. I may should have done a better job on my post as I don't fault the results you are face with.

3MR":3cv8wuye said:
I think he was referring to the renter. Just my thought, only he knows for sure. :lol:

True.

I can see how he could get sideways with my post although it wasn't in my intentions.

Sorry Again, Wewild. It's been a tough week. I'm down here in Fla helping a friend install those hurricane shutter systems on this huge house. LIke 42 window's when I should be watching things on the farm. But I did promise to help...
The pro's wanted $23,000 to do her house and were doing the same job for $5800.00 and alot of sweat. Thats how much the panels cost at home depot. So where just doin it for the sweat. She want's to be ready this time before the season starts. Anyway we do what we have to do...

Nearlybroke... Your a lifesaver. And I'll keep your e-mail and when I cut out of here I'll get ahold of you and hopefully take you up on that offer. I'll only have a 16' open tandum trailer but I might could get 3 or 4 on there. Appreciate that.

Your all a great bunch!!!

And Flaboy , I'm in West Jupiter fl. and this place is eat up with those wild hog's. I've been seein them everyday along the ditches on these back roads

peacemaker":xdghihia said:
And Flaboy , I'm in West Jupiter fl. and this place is eat up with those wild hog's. I've been seein them everyday along the ditches on these back roads

Yeah, way south of me. You ought to get you some of those hogs to take home. I have a couple traps out and some idiot stops and takes the boars. He says he makes sausage out of them. I ain't eatin no old boar meat. Maybe a young one.

Looks like I might have to camp out in the field at night though. They are still tearing it up but not going in the traps.

Latest posts