Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
winteronthefarm05016.jpg

winteronthefarm05009.jpg

winteronthefarm05009.jpg

winteronthefarm05013.jpg

winteronthefarm05007.jpg

Just thought that I'd share a bit of the holiday season before it quickly turns into four months of bad weather...Dave Mc

Nice place but oh my gawd!!!!! You have that much snow already?

I was just complaining becuse the rest of my bermuda is dying out and I had to put out 4 round bales today. I was upset because it's gonna be in the high 30's here tonight. My ryegrass isn't tall enough to graze yet, so I'm gonna have to hay heavy for a few weeks until it comes up good.

I guess I have it lucky.

Nice place Dave - you folks have a few more inches of snow than we do too. Your snow looks powdery and light; ours sure isn't. LOL. Temperature went up to 30-32F this morning, but looks like it'll be in the single digits tonight. That kind of weather never does anything good to snow.

Dave, that's beautiful! Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing! :) Cypress, that's not a lot of snow. What do you average per winter?

We have gone 13 winters without any snow that I can recall. And I am about 75 mi due west of Cypress's place.In a winter that it snows there may be a total of 2 to 4 in. This will normally occur over up to 4 snowfalls.

I don't know what would happen around this part of the country, if people would see that much snow on the ground at one time. There would be wrecks and cars and pickups in the ditches all over the place.

It would probably be fairly close to the same kind of situation that happened when Atlanta got a dusting of snow - bread, milk, and staples disappeared off the shelves of grocery stores at record speed, businesses shut down, people didn't go to work if the business was open, and record numbers of fender-benders if the snow hit during working hours. Just a guess, though.

msscamp":18dr6pi5 said:
It would probably be fairly close to the same kind of situation that happened when Atlanta got a dusting of snow - bread, milk, and staples disappeared off the shelves of grocery stores at record speed, businesses shut down, people didn't go to work if the business was open, and record numbers of fender-benders if the snow hit during working hours. Just a guess, though.

Wimps

certherfbeef":1dzrkc4r said:
:lol2: We got about 4 inches of wet slop yesterday. I don't enjoy being cold but I wish it would have been a little colder, it would have been more in inches then, but a lot easier to move and it wouldn't turn in to ice when the temp falls. As I get older I'm gettin' pretty wimpy myself Cert. :nod:

When I first moved down there, we got the first dusting of snow and my job was calling to see if I was coming in, that's what I thought, too. But, after a day or so I realized that daytime temperatures caused the snow to melt and, once the sun set and the temperatures dropped, any amount of moisture left very quickly turned to sleet or ice (depending on the temperature). As most city-dwelling Georgians don't have a clue how to drive period (the faster, the better) - much less on sleet or ice - and all of the interstates and roads were very hilly, the whole situation was an engraved invitation to disaster.

I think the saddest thing I have ever seen was a native Georgian (I have no idea what area - or whether rural or urban) who married a northerner and was attending Chadron State College at the same time my Mom was. That poor lady put out a fortune in tow-truck charges hauling her car out of the ditch. Everytime one looked around she had slid off the road into the ditch. I don't think she ever got the hang of it, but I could be wrong.

That's beautiful but I guess you can call me a wimp too. We don't get snows like that, at least not very often. Seems like we're more like it is where la4angus and cypressfarms is. We might get a dusting of powder some winters, we might get 1" or 2" but usually nothing. If they even mention snow here, schools are let out and you can forget about going to get bread and milk at the store. It'll all be gone when you get there. It's pretty but I'd rather have hot weather. I'm sure it's what you get used to.

msscamp":3r3rkex1 said:
Dave, that's beautiful! Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing! :) Cypress, that's not a lot of snow. What do you average per winter?

None.

I can only remember twice in my 36 years (well the first few here kind of hazy) when it snowed enough to stick. The ground does not get cold enough for the snow to last. Normally within a day the snow is gone. There have been times when it snows, but they are very few and far between. Last year it got below freezing three times I think. Dang that's cold. In the last 20 years it's gotten down to single digits once.

I've traveled all over. I could never live somewhere like upstate New York where by Feb. you have 10 foot mounds of snow on the sides of roads from the snow plows.

Colorado is the prettiest to me. It snows, but most of the time it's dry, and the Denver/Colorado Springs area gets a lot of sunshine, so even if there is snow, it's not too cold.

Oh yeah, and here in Louisiana, the people have a strange disease: their foot automatically slams on the brakes when they drive over ice/snow. Can't help it, it's some kind of medical condition.

cypressfarms":40ynu8ka said:
msscamp":40ynu8ka said:

Colorado is the prettiest to me. It snows, but most of the time it's dry, and the Denver/Colorado Springs area gets a lot of sunshine, so even if there is snow, it's not too cold.

Oh yeah, and here in Louisiana, the people have a strange disease: their foot automatically slams on the brakes when they drive over ice/snow. Can't help it, it's some kind of medical condition.

Colorado is pretty, but I like Wyoming. I'm all too familiar with that strange foot and brake disease, too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

is that what that white stuff is, snow? wondered what it looked like. we haven't had more than a dusting at all. temps down to 15 or so at 6 a.m. and warming up to 22 for the day. now, its snowed 5-6 in about 40 miles from here in the east, north and south directions making the roads slicker 'n snot with semi's off the road this morning and cars. haven't gotten any snow here though. a little rain yesterday afternoon and that's pretty much been it. kinda sad for this part of the country.

We have our share of slide-offs and fender benders on the first couple of days of snow but the folks remember how to drive on ice and it tapers off quickly. The black ice claims alot of vehicles, it still gives me the puckers so now I can drive like an old-timer and get away with it.
I just like the freezing temps so we don't have to deal with all the mud until spring then I just scoop it out and replace the dirt, got one fine compost pile going.
It seems like a young man macho thing but the vehicles that seem to be off the road the most are the SUVs and fancy arse 4x4 pickups, never see a farm truck in a ditch and never had a call from one of our friends for a pull-out, though I did pull a delivery truck out with the tractor last year...on our road.
Us northern folks get days when it's to cold to snow, thats the time that you pray that it doesn't get windy. Grandkids just arrived for some sledding so its time to warm up the tractor.
Good weather to all....Dave Mc