Our New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks la4angus!!

Jovid; I'm not real sure, but probably in about 2000lbs. He's in pretty good condition. Won't be getting anymore grain here tho!!

randiliana,
You just bought a bull from my relitives! They do have excellent stock, and have been going to Agribition for the last while now. I think that they did quite well there. Good luck, and knowing them, he will do good for you!

Angus Cattle Shower":3j7ws573 said:
randiliana,
You just bought a bull from my relitives! They do have excellent stock, and have been going to Agribition for the last while now. I think that they did quite well there. Good luck, and knowing them, he will do good for you!

Small world :shock: !! I was certainly impressed with ALL of the bulls that I saw info and pictures on. But, we decided that the 3 year old would work better for us than a yearling!!

Randi, thats the Able Seamen son you were asking about? If so, he's one of the better sons I've seen. Good hind end, decent rib, a hair too much leg for my cows. As for calving ease, perhaps I can't see it in the picture, but he looks pretty smooth coming down the neck and into the shoulder. With caveat of actually looking at him from the front, I think I'd use him on any of 900 - 1000 lb heifers.

If I ever get back up to Meadow Lake to get my bull, I'll toss up some pics for comparison. He's also an Able Seamen son. And has a hair too much leg for my cows :(

Rod

aplusmnt":2oc5bora said:
Randil......what kind of cows are you using him on?

He will be going onto some Red and Black Angus cows, and a couple purebred Shorthorn cows that I have. Next year, after we see how much white he throws, we might consider putting him on some Hereford cows.

Victoria":3tp1h3hh said:
Nice bull, he should bring you some great weaning weights! I agree with you on BW. It seems to me BW's are higher here in Canada anyway.

Yes, I think he will compliment our herd. He actually is one of the few bulls around that has an ADG that is higher than our best steers in the last few years, plus he looks good too

DiamondSCattleCo":1u0vbdok said:
Randi, thats the Able Seamen son you were asking about? If so, he's one of the better sons I've seen. Good hind end, decent rib, a hair too much leg for my cows. As for calving ease, perhaps I can't see it in the picture, but he looks pretty smooth coming down the neck and into the shoulder. With caveat of actually looking at him from the front, I think I'd use him on any of 900 - 1000 lb heifers.

If I ever get back up to Meadow Lake to get my bull, I'll toss up some pics for comparison. He's also an Able Seamen son. And has a hair too much leg for my cows :(

Rod

Yes, that is the bull I was asking about. We had kind of decided, but I was just looking for any extra info, which you provided. He is a bit leggier, but not terribly so, we can certainly work with that. The cows we will be putting him on should shorten his leg a little, and he will add quite a bit of length and depth to our herd. I haven't quite decided who is going with him, but it will be some of our better cows. Ones that we will want replacements out of.

We will see how he works on our cows before we throw him in with any heifers, although he is pretty smooth looking. He has a nice head too, not a real lunk head anyways.

We were both pretty impressed with him when we first saw him. The picture they sent of him didn't do him justice. Plus, he is a real dark maroon red color, and we both really like those dark red animals......

I will look forward to seeing the pic's of your fellow too....

Caustic;

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":5z5wyk13 said:
A 90 pound birthweight would have me a little leary of this bull. You might be okay with "older" cows but I definately would not use this bull on heifers that is for certain. I have seen some darned fine looking bulls before I would have purchased them to but seeing as how their birthweight was 102 pounds I wasnt about to risk it.

this person has no idea :roll:

thats a nice bull ;-) shorthorns are renowned for low birth weight calves, good choice :)

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":v34kqegt said:
A 90 pound birthweight would have me a little leary of this bull. You might be okay with "older" cows but I definately would not use this bull on heifers that is for certain. I have seen some darned fine looking bulls before I would have purchased them to but seeing as how their birthweight was 102 pounds I wasnt about to risk it.

whats type of cattle you got ??? miniture herefords or dexters??

randiliana":3jfbk37k said:
He is a bit leggier, but not terribly so, we can certainly work with that.

:lol: Well I should have also mentioned that virtually every Shorthorn I look at has a hair too much leg for my tastes. I'm trying to breed back to the slightly older fashioned animals from years ago. Not real short legged, wasty animals, but the ones that were similar to the Welsh Blacks that RKaiser runs. Deep ribbed, good length and good muscle.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":15jgnwry said:
:lol: Well I should have also mentioned that virtually every Shorthorn I look at has a hair too much leg for my tastes. I'm trying to breed back to the slightly older fashioned animals from years ago. Not real short legged, wasty animals, but the ones that were similar to the Welsh Blacks that RKaiser runs. Deep ribbed, good length and good muscle.

Rod

That is a good plan. A lot of the British breeds have gotten a little too leggy.....

DiamondSCattleCo":1vvl3d2b said:
randiliana":1vvl3d2b said:
He is a bit leggier, but not terribly so, we can certainly work with that.

Rod

The size issue is what scared me away from a SHorthorn sale a couple of weeks ago. Yearlings that were the size of my 2 year olds that are calving and mature cows that were bigger then most Holsteins. Most of them looked like musk ox with the length of the hair. Well a short haired musk ox anyway.

dun

dun":2in039ad said:
The size issue is what scared me away from a SHorthorn sale a couple of weeks ago. Yearlings that were the size of my 2 year olds that are calving and mature cows that were bigger then most Holsteins. Most of them looked like musk ox with the length of the hair. Well a short haired musk ox anyway.

:lol: I've seen some of those in my hunt for a bull this year, but up here not that many, thankfully. Most are frame size 5 or 6 (too big for me), but I want to see around 2/3 rib, 1/3 leg instead of the 50/50 we see these days. Its not the animal for everyone, but like I've prattled on about, the more rib I've got, the more fat I can get on there for our cold winter nights.

Rod

Well the whole doggoned ranch came down with the flu on Wednesday and Thursday, so I missed Saskvalley's sale :( Between me, my wife and my poor old Grandmother we were just barely able to do 3 or 4 cow checks :lol:

Anyway, from all reports it was a good sale. Top seller was Saskvalley Pioneer 126P at $7200 (my second choice). Second seller was Saskvalley Primo 40P at $5250 (my first choice). Third highest was Pilgrim 98P at $4200 (my third choice). So its just as well I didn't make it. My banker would have been angry with me. :lol:

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":v6bp2odc said:
Well the whole doggoned ranch came down with the flu on Wednesday and Thursday, so I missed Saskvalley's sale :( Between me, my wife and my poor old Grandmother we were just barely able to do 3 or 4 cow checks :lol:

Anyway, from all reports it was a good sale. Top seller was Saskvalley Pioneer 126P at $7200 (my second choice). Second seller was Saskvalley Primo 40P at $5250 (my first choice). Third highest was Pilgrim 98P at $4200 (my third choice). So its just as well I didn't make it. My banker would have been angry with me. :lol:

Rod

But, those ARE Canadian dollars... ;-)

DiamondSCattleCo":1pn5h52m said:

Rod

I know how that feels....

Those sure are good prices!! Did you hear what the average was?

randiliana":31i7qnr6 said:
Those sure are good prices!! Did you hear what the average was?

Hmmmm, Murray said when I called him. $3600 or $3700? $3200? Somewhere around in there. Over the 3 grand mark I believe. I could be mistaken on that average, but one things certain: Shorthorns are starting to make a comeback. Even pre-BSE, a Shorthorn sale wouldn't have brought that kind of money. Its good to see an old breed making headway again.

Especially since I hitched the ranches wagon to the breed :lol: :lol:

Rod