Our first bull, what do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

deaconcreek

Reaction score
We just bought this bull last year, first calves will be here next month. We're new to all this and wondered if we made a good purchase. He is 18 months in these pictures
major005.jpg

major004.jpg

major002.jpg

EPD#
BW: +3.0
WW: +48
YW: +87
Milk: +28
Don't hold back please, this was an investment for us and we want to start off on the right foot.

I guess he's not too photogenic, huh? He does look good though. Certainly got some muscle to him, and great length, so I'd say you done real good.

You've only got 5 females. Have you considered AI? I think for the cost of owning this bull, you could have access to some really superb semen from some really great bulls.

Your cows are all registed, so I assume you are planning to raise seedstock. If so, I think you should be breeding to superior bulls that will improve the progeny of each cow. I don't know if this bull will do that for you. Good luck, I hope I have not offended you. This bull may be better in person than in the pics. I don't think he is a bad bull, but I know there are some better ones out there.

SF,
You are right and we have already tried to AI three times before with no luck. We thought this way would be more sutible for our needs. I have no idea how to AI a cow so we are at the mercy of the AI tech. We bought this bull because he has a BW on the lower side, and his numbers weren't that bad. Might have been a huge mistake buying him, we shall find out in a few weeks. No offense takin, I would rather someone be honest with me, experience is the best teacher.

He's probably a pretty good bull-his pictures don't do much for him. Try getting him out in an open space, kneel down and get his attention and try to get him to turn his head and look at you and try getting some side view photos of him. I'll bet he looks alot better that way.

Well the AI tech blamed in on the cows body condition score one time, and he was probably right. We have a hard time keeping our cows weight down. Another time it was him being late when the cows were in standing heat. And after the last time, we just went and bought a bull. Since we had already put time and money into AI three times with no calves to show for it, the bull seemed like a good idea.

ALACOWMAN":98pa3pl6 said:
well not too many would look good under thoses circumstances. he does have good muscleing he should mature into a pretty decent animal.

What do you mean under those circumstances ?

deaconcreek":3rkn8cuz said:
ALACOWMAN":3rkn8cuz said:
well not too many would look good under thoses circumstances. he does have good muscleing he should mature into a pretty decent animal.

What do you mean under those circumstances ?
no offence about that statement the pictures aint that great too dark and the mud .nothing too do with his conditioning . he pretty much shines through the poor circumstance .

I know not the greatest pictures. He had only been here for a few days so he was muddy and they were all in the woods behide the back pasture, it was July and it was HOT that day. I need to get some better pictures that due him justice. I found the board and jumped to get an outside opinion. Out of 50 acres they always seem to find the muddy spot. 10 minutes before they were out in the pasture, I don't want anyone to think my cows are in mud all the time. they do have nice pasture.
cow.jpg

Not holding back, so I think he is a good enough looking young bull. I will start by saying that.

Ok........ with five cows i don't see him pulling his weight on your place. 2nd send that AI tech down the road. 3nd sell the Bull as a 2year so maybe make some money. Go back to AI your herd with a new tech, also you should take a class in AI for the long run.

Latest posts