Our 4-H day

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, all in all we had a successful day. The calves were fairly well behaved, even though the heifer was just coming out of heat. Matthew showed the steer, he had a bit of trouble with his steer 'Buddy'. Buddy was throwing his weight around, bunting Matthew. He wasn't being mean about it, but it was a pain. By the end of the day, though we had it worked out. Discovered that you cannot scratch him on the head. If he even thinks you are going to he will bunt. That, plus a few good smacks across the snout with the end of the lead, adjusted his attitude, and Matthew had a lot less trouble in the last class. They placed 4th out of 6 in the lightweight class, which was pretty good. Didn't place in any other classes, some were larger and some were smaller. All in all they had fun.

Jordan's heifer, Dora, was exceptionally good. Especially considering that she was just coming out of heat, from the day before. She was in the cloverbud class, with 2 others. It was a great experience for her. She placed 1st in showmanship, and 3rd in both the project and grooming classes. Plus, she showed in the commercial heifer class, where she placed 3rd out of 5. I was in the ring with her, but for the most part, she handled Dora by herself.

We had fun, the calves were fairly co-operative, and it was a good day all around. Now we head for the big show in about a month.

Congrats! :clap: :) Sounds like the kids just learned hard work pays off!

Looks like the kids had fun and at one time I thought that was the main point of 4H. Congratulations!

Yes, most of the kids had a good time, and learned some new things. Just one (overly)disappointed one, which kinda disgusted me, as she was 16/17 years old. She was one of 3 excused from the ring in their class, so the judge could look at his top picks closer. She came out of the ring in a huff, and went out of the building crying. I don't believe the judge criticized her, or her calf, just excused her. The others that were excused, took it in stride.

randiliana":3dis2srs said:
Yes, most of the kids had a good time, and learned some new things. Just one (overly)disappointed one, which kinda disgusted me, as she was 16/17 years old. She was one of 3 excused from the ring in their class, so the judge could look at his top picks closer. She came out of the ring in a huff, and went out of the building crying. I don't believe the judge criticized her, or her calf, just excused her. The others that were excused, took it in stride.
that is kind of sad, not a very good example to set for the younger children.
But, at that age, that is the way it is sometimes, not excusing the behavior, but, Ive seen it before. Its OK to be dissapointed, learn and move on. Easier said then done though.

spinandslide":12yirhrs said:
randiliana":12yirhrs said:
that is kind of sad, not a very good example to set for the younger children.
But, at that age, that is the way it is sometimes, not excusing the behavior, but, Ive seen it before. Its OK to be dissapointed, learn and move on. Easier said then done though.

Our behavior can always be used as an example; sometimes it's a model of how we should respond, sometimes it's a model of how NOT to respond.

randiliana, I'm glad your kids had a fun, safe experience & learned something too.

Chris H":3rcowpo6 said:
Our behavior can always be used as an example; sometimes it's a model of how we should respond, sometimes it's a model of how NOT to respond.

randiliana, I'm glad your kids had a fun, safe experience & learned something too.

That is true. And a very good point.

randiliana":1naec94l said:

Randi, she might have just come out of heat also...

(Sorry, I could not resist) :lol:

BTRANCH":22tn0gph said:
randiliana":22tn0gph said:

:lol2:

BTRANCH":2er17hy8 said:
randiliana":2er17hy8 said:

:lol: bad, very bad :shock: :lol: :lol:

Good Job!! They even learned about undesirable behavior!!
See it is okay she did that. Taught your kids how ugly it can be.

Latest posts