Ordered semen yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Kscattle

Reaction score
Well I called my ABS rep and ordered some "Kcf effiecent" and gonna try some "Trust" semen. Both look pretty decent in my book so I'll throw the dice on them. I also have some LCC new standard in the tank, that I'll try to use up. Start breeding next month! This winter has flown by fast for me this year but calving turned out excellent for me with about 90 per. bull calves. Good luck to you guys and pray for green grass all summer

Not to derail the thread so soon but, what is a typical ratio bull/heifer with AI. I have heard generally more bulls. Or does it really depend on semen quality and individual bulls?

90 percent was across the board with ai and cleanup bull. I don't use sexed semen cause I don't think it's worth the extra cost. Ai really doesn't effect whether it's a bull or a hfr that's just up to mother nature. I was just really lucky. I did notice a big difference in bw this as mine were all real low. I just did that math and actual ratio was .81 percent but that's still darn good I think

LRTX1":1lo3dk5c said:
Not to derail the thread so soon but, what is a typical ratio bull/heifer with AI. I have heard generally more bulls. Or does it really depend on semen quality and individual bulls?

In my experience at least 60/40 in favour of bulls

I have replacements that will be bred next month but no mommas yet. I wasn't impressed with them till about weaning time then they really grew. They have good temperament and really look good I think. I wish I could post pics from my I phone and show you

Trust is the only bull I have used for the last three years in a row. I used other bulls in that time but I continue to reuse Trust. loads of volume, slick haired, docile, excellent growth. He has really worked well with our cows/heifers. They will come early out of heifers (~3-7 days early).

LRTX1":3fejztla said:

There is no difference in the percentage of female or male bearing chromosome sperm cells. Some research papers have suggested that the Egg can play a factor in which gender sperm cell fertilizes it.

LRTX1":2bai9j95 said:
In my experience, it depends more on the age of the sire-- more so than the AI or natural service.

At our place, I experience about 75-80% females from a young first time yearling sire, and about the same %, but opposite, from a 6 year old sire in terms of male offspring.

I think with AI- the same holds true... As a result, I try to collect my sires at least twice- once early in life (to get females) and once later- for those males. I have found this to hold up more times than not.

It's exactly opposite- of what I want though-- as when I use a sire I want to sell the offspring from the first couple of crops- but by the time he reaches his prime and is ready to move on: I'm ready to keep daughters from him- however at that point in time- his daughter production- drops off hugely.

Kscattle":2jtb974u said:
I have replacements that will be bred next month but no mommas yet. I wasn't impressed with them till about weaning time then they really grew. They have good temperament and really look good I think. I wish I could post pics from my I phone and show you

Got the picture Ks but my phone died right after they arrived. When I get it charged I will post the 3rd one it's a pretty good picture. I like the heifers. Are they New Standard? My last bull was a New Standard son and his calves were like that they dinked along and then one day they weighed 600 to 650lbs.

Yes those are new standard calves that I kept this year. I really like them but I'll see how they do when they have calves next year. I hope they're great. I noticed that too that they blend in with the rest of the herd till about weaning time then they really take off!

Pics for Kscattle

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

Thanks for posting these pictures for me 3 way! These two are both out of LCC new standard and a new design 208 cows

Sorry Kscattle
I didn't bucket acctrealize it would delete your pics if I took them out of my photo
t

3waycross":2agmnr1z said:
Sorry Kscattle
I didn't bucket acctrealize it would delete your pics if I took them out of my photo
t

Vic, your typing skills get worse as the night progresses :shock: :hide:

LRTX1":onjngbpy said:
3waycross":onjngbpy said:
Sorry Kscattle
t

Vic, your typing skills get worse as the night progresses :shock: :hide:

Was in Denver at a meeting and had just left the bar. I also forgot my glasses...........nuff said

Latest posts