Optimal weaning weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

Possible. You can sell a heavier calf, but VOG for last pounds may not cover your additional costs:

- You may have a high management cow raising a larger calf, but you have no idea what her profit production is. Did she breed back on time?
- You may spend alot on creep feed, but mostly substitute for grass.
- You...

I used to wean steer calves that averaged about 630#. Problem was most of the big buyers here have orders for 5 wts., and won't bid on steers over 550#. So the value of gain from 550 to 630# was lower, and the feed cost of that gain was higher... :(

Stocker Steve said:
Some say we should be optimizing pounds of calf weaned per acre, not pounds of calf weaned per head. What do you think?
[/

I think you have to look at profit per acre, land is not free whether you own it or lease it costs. I've read several studies comparing moderate frame cows to large frame and you can generally run 3 moderates in same acreage as 2 large frames, in the studies I read you were turning greater profit per acre with smaller cattle due to more calves. Those studies have also shown that weaning weights don't increase much for any weight a cow is carrying over 1,000 lbs. Obviously the cow size should increase weaning weight but in comparison to size of cow it was a low percentage of increase.

One of the best investments you can make to improve your herd is a set of scales. With scales you know if that big ole pretty cow is really good or just big and fat because she keeps it all to herself and gives nothing to her calf. Measuring production is essential in having a successful herd. Environment also plays a part. Weaning weights in Florida are not going to be the same as weaning weights in Mt. you have to measure within your own herd and identify the cattle that work under your management and your environment. Good thread.

Gizmom

Gizmom

Stocker Steve said:
Some say we should be optimizing pounds of calf weaned per acre, not pounds of calf weaned per head. What do you think?
If I'm selecting for more efficient, moderate cows would I not be optimizing pounds of calf weaned per acre? And if those cows are weaning big calves wouldnt I be optimizing pounds of calf weaned per cow?

We weaned a bunch of calves yesterday. They could have been bigger. We could have held out longer. But these are the calves from our one and done broken and smooth mouth cows. The calves got hauled to the pens to wean and the cows went to the slaughter house. They got killed today. We got a good price for the cows so it just worked to do it. We will be getting the check the first of next week. The value on the cows in this deal is just as important as the value of the calves. It looks like the cows will bring back the original investment. So all we will have against the calves is the feed bill since February.

Dave The value on the cows in this deal is just as important as the value of the calves. It looks like the cows will bring back the original investment. So all we will have against the calves is the feed bill since February. [/quote said:
You take some of the fun out of retaining fancy heifers. ;-)

When do you usually buy one n done cows?

Stocker Steve said:
Dave The value on the cows in this deal is just as important as the value of the calves. It looks like the cows will bring back the original investment. So all we will have against the calves is the feed bill since February. [/quote said:

January/February. We got $1.15 for the bottom on shelly cows up to $1.40 for the better end. That is price on the rail. There were a few shelly cows in on the deal but none of them were mine. I bought better cows than B's hired man. He bought some sorry smooth mouth crippled cows that I wouldn't touch. My cows all looked slick and fat. My calves were as a rule better than his too.

Just put 10 in the weaning pen Saturday. 2 of which are heifers.
Age range of 5 to 7 months.

472 pounds average.

Weighed today. I'll lose a couple pounds when the nutz fall off....

Yeah its a tough go on the bull calves to get castrated at weaning especially when its hot like it is now. You will probably set them back 30 days. You need to move towards getting the calves worked at 1 to 3 months of age when its cooler and you can turn them back with their moms. It makes a lot of difference at weaning time.

Dave said:
Stocker Steve said:

January/February. We got $1.15 for the bottom on shelly cows up to $1.40 for the better end. That is price on the rail. There were a few shelly cows in on the deal but none of them were mine. I bought better cows than B's hired man. He bought some sorry smooth mouth crippled cows that I wouldn't touch. My cows all looked slick and fat. My calves were as a rule better than his too.

Big difference in price there. I was quoted .70 on the rail for Shelly cows 2 days ago.

Dave said:
Stocker Steve said:

Sounds like you done good. I have never seen enough potential in the shelly cows to mess with them seldom can you upgrade them any they're just too used up.

Latest posts