opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

I"m no expert but I can't locate any "potential" ....even for the freezer. He looks like his dad might have been a wildebeast. If you like his mom use a different bull next time.

bsr":1gggs3ud said:
he has good bloodlines. its just that he is a bottle calf

bsr,

Kudos for saving the calf if the moma abandoned it. However, even a bottle calf should look better than that. This type of picture/calf has animal rights people written all over it. If you do have a calf like this, I definitely wouldn't post it.

this is the previous calf of his mother
PICT0895.JPG

bsr":2nr4z5xa said:
this is the previous calf of his mother
PICT0895.JPG
That female has some potential. Being a bottle calf can make alot of difference in an animal. My son took a bottle calf to the fair one year that just did fantastic on the bottle. She looked almost as nice as our calves on their dams. But I had 5 et bull calves born last fall and weighed them this fall as yearlings. One of the calves wasn't taken by its recipient dam and was raised on the bottle. It weighed nearly 40% less than the average of the other 4. Genetically, where does it stand? Some calves just don't take to the bottle as well as others. You may not know what that bull calf is capable of genetically unless you decide to use him and find out.

THIS IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATION - AND NOT DIRECTED TO ANYONE IN PARTICULAR.

There is a "CONDITION" (I'll call it that for lack of a more definitive expression!) referred to as BARN BLINDNESS. It is characterized and symptomized by the inability of an individual (human) to realistically analyze a single animal, or an entire herd of animals, in a non-biased, non-prejudiced, non-partial, and non-preferential manner, primarily because the animals belong to THEM! The collective symptoms include ownership, arrogance, pride, and sometimes ignorance of facts and the refusal to accept reality. BARN BLINDNESS inevitably affects an animal owner (breeder) for a variety of reasons. 'Ignorance of facts' is one of the most obvious symptoms of the condition, but it is accompanied by many secondary symptoms which, added together in a collective group, reveals a manifestation of physiological and psychological traits which preclude an animal OWNER (BREEDER) from facing and accepting the reality that their stock (animal(s) are WORTH-LESS! LOUSY! CULLS!

The treatment for this malady, disorder, affliction, pathology or symptomatology is imperative for the prevention of a complete breakdown in comprehension of the required knowledge, science and art of livestock (Beef Cattle per se in this instance) production and recognition of necessary characteristics and traits which are ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE for the successful culmination of a beef cattle breeding enterprise!

....And what, exactly, are the treatment protocols for this affliction??

KNOWLEDGE and EDUCATION, the acquisition of which is EVERYWHERE! One just must take the effort to locate and absorb it!

...And the prognosis of this searching activity?? Unimaginable learning, self-education and a complete cessation of the agonizing condition known as - BARN BLINDNESS! :clap: :nod: :tiphat:

See my assistant at the front desk as you leave.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2vq7af9i said:
THIS IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATION - AND NOT DIRECTED TO ANYONE IN PARTICULAR.

There is a "CONDITION" (I'll call it that for lack of a more definitive expression!) referred to as BARN BLINDNESS. It is characterized and symptomized by the inability of an individual (human) to realistically analyize a single animal, or an entire herd of animals, in a non-biased, non-prejudiced, non-partial, and non-preferential manner, primarily because the animals belong to THEM! The collective symptoms include ownership, arrogance, pride, and sometimes ignorance of facts and the refusal to accept reality. BARN BLINDNESS inevitably affects an animal owner (breeder) for a variety of reasons. 'Ignorance of facts' is one of the most obvious symptoms of the condition, but it is accompanied by many secondary symptoms which, added together in a collective group, reveals a manifestation of physiological and psychological traits which preclude an animal OWNER (BREEDER) from facing and accepting the reality that their stock (animal(s) are WORTH-LESS! LOUSY! CULLS!

The treatment for this malady, disorder, affliction, pathology or symptomatology is imperative for the prevention of a complete breakdown in comprehension of the required knowledge, science and art of livestock (Beef Cattle per se in this instance) production and recognition of necessary characteristics and traits which are ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE for the successful culmination of a beef cattle breeding enterprise!

....And what, exactly, are the treatment protocols for this affliction??

KNOWLEDGE and EDUCATION, the acquisition of which is EVERYWHERE! One just must take the effort to locate and absorb it!

...And the prognosis of this searching activity?? Unimaginable learning, self-education and a complete cessation of the agonizing condition known as - BARN BLINDNESS! :clap: :nod: :tiphat:

See my assistant at the front desk as you leave.

DOC HARRIS
Doctor,
I think you have just challenged yourself to post some pics.
John

Doc, that was a long, winded way to explain BARN BLINDNESS - BUT, you are soooo right.
People own cattle like they own a dog. They think they are soooo precious, cute, cuddly. Cannot, will not, see any faults.
Sometimes, I am so amazed that someone is so blind that they would post a pic of a pathetic looking animal.

The calf looks like it is made out of spare parts and reminds me of cattle that you see walking the streets in other countries. He does need some groceries. But groceries will not improve his structure or conformation. I think that you all are pretty harsh in calling it pathetic. It is not starving, nor is it on death's doorstep. Granted it is common looking, but you see common looking cattle in pastures everywhere.

When you look at your livestock. Look at it as if you see it for the very first time and as if it belonged to someone else. Try to see it for what it is, not what you are hoping it will be.

Hmm Doc, how true, but :oops:

The ugliest baby in the world is the cutest most precious thing to its Mama. ;-)

1982vett":2331c7nv said:

The ugliest baby in the world is the cutest most precious thing to its Mama. ;-)
1982vett-

True! If you tell Ruthie (my dear wife) that I said this, I'll deny it to the death! BUT most Mama's ARE Barn Blind!

DOC HARRIS

The best cure for barn blindness is to have a couple of producers that you respect take a look and give you their opinions. I'm lucky that I have 2 people that know their business and are brutally honest. Usually they aren;t as hard on my animals as I am. They accuse me of nitpicking.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2wqn5yv0 said:
The problem is that you can't find anyone that will be brutally honest with the producer. It's hard to tell someone "face to face" that their cattle "sucks".

These 2 don;t have that problem, that's why I ask them and trust their judgement. But I've known them long enough and they know that I'm expecting honesty not accolades.

1982vett":uey0j1qn said:

Growing up we had a preacher that said he spent alot of time at hospitals visiting. He said that sometimes those visits would be for families with a newborn baby. He says everybody knows that most newborn babies look pretty rough. Well, being a pastor and not wanting to tell a lie, while gazing upon the newborn (with the proud parents looking on) he would state, "Well isn't that just somethin"! - Not a lie!!

my mother told it like it was, she said i looked like mr. magoo ....who would have thought i would have turn out too be the dashing figure i am today ;-)

Latest posts