Opinions Wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

Mid South Guy

Reaction score
Would like everyone's opinion on this Hereford Bull. 3yr old, wt 2180#, frame score 6.2, body codition score 6. Thank you.

Hereford_Bull.jpg

My opinion is you need a better picture of him if you want beneficial input

I do apologize for the poor composition and quality of this photo, but this is all I got. I should have posted more info, but was in a hurry to get to grandson's football game. I just wonder if others agree with me this bull would be good in today's market.

The fact is, this photo was taken in 1971. The bull was born in 1968. I know he was shown at the major shows in '69 & '70 (Chicago, KC, Denver, etc.) and placed middle of class and down. I am told the judges' comments were he was too big and too late maturing. The "after show talk" in the barns was that most really liked him but few knew what to do with him. One must remember at this time mature bulls weighed 1500-1800 lbs, mature cows 900-1000 lbs, and the ideal market steer was 18-24 mo old, weighed 1000 lbs, had 1" fat cover and graded choice (today that would be prime). I'm also told he became a tremendous maternal sire. His daughters weighed about 1100# with outstanding udders and milk production. Very few if any of his sons were left intact and all sold as feeder steers as was the common practice in this herd for all bull calves.

Finding this old picture in the bottom of a shoe box got me pondering if have we all worked very hard for the last 40 years improving our cattle that we have progressed to a point we may have been 40 years ago?

Funny, I was going to accuse the photographer of being so bad it looked like a photo from 40 years ago.

Typewise he is very much what we need today, but structurally he has plenty room for improvement. I believe that you' be even better off if you fit all 2180lbs of him into a frame 5-5.5.