Opinions on this heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

With a little cleanup and your daughter working that calf everyday, that last calf (the brown one) you posted might not turn out to be a bad show calf. I might give that last one a try.

i think i would go with the limousin cross too. she has a touch of ear in her, thats why i asked. you can tell by her butt and by the dewlap. Depending on what she is competing against that may or may not matter. shes got good length and depth. she'll make a real pretty calf when shes pampered and all dolled up.

tom4018,
I don't want to put down your cattle, but I have not seen anything in the pictures that might work for a Show Heifer. The Commercial Heifer classes have become filled with the heifer mates of the Show Steers produced by Club Calf breeders. This just knocks the home raised heifers right out of the pack. Since your daughter is sixteen, she should be able to do most of the work required make a "good" calf competitive. I would suggest you purchase a young,
Registered Show Heifer that can show in breed classes. You might want to go to as many shows (especially jackpots) as possible and pick a breed or two. You can find a good, affordable heifer from a show calf breeder. It's not impossible. Get on Cattletoday.com, Clubcalves.com, Showsteers.com and call some of the breeders in your area. If you are a good shopper, you'll be able to buy a competitive heifer for $2500 or less. Just know your breeder, and know what you need to look for in a calf. Try to buy as young as possible (3 - 5 months) to save money. 8)

Latest posts