Opinions on this heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
I was wondering what you all think of this heifer? She is a Tarentaise/Gelbvieh cross. I know she is light in the hind quarters. What do u all think?

Are you wanting to keep her for a cow, in a commercial herd, or show her?

She was 2 years old on March 25th. We hope to be able to get a few good calves out of her and the new bull for showing.

Is she still bred? She looks good for a commercial cow but perhaps breed her to best bulls to produce show calves.

This is the bull that will be used on her this summer. He should help add a little weight to the hind quarters.

BTW the bull will be around 18 months when they meet. He is a SimAngus bull. His mom is a registered Red Angus and his dad is a Black Simmental. He is an AI bull.

And I should add that he has an 85 pound birthing weight and a 600+ pound weaning weight.

She was but every time she was in heat her mom would always jump her and every time he went to breed her our Jersey would stick him in the rear. This shouldn't be a problem now since the Jersey will be in milk and will probably stick next to the corral where her calf is.

Heres a few more pictures. Idk if u cared anymore just thought I would post them.

What are you trying to accomplish with your program?

Red Angus ... black Simmental ... black Angus ... Jersey ...

It's hard to comment if we don't know what you're trying to do.

Sorry I should have added more. We r shooting for Black Angus here.

holm25":ngoyu9jh said:

Heres a few more pictures. Idk if u cared anymore just thought I would post them.

Definitely not the most flattering of pictures... Kind of looks like a wife in the morning before they get all their makeup on... But as your first picture shows- she pretty's up quite well...

I think you should use her and see what she produces... Its about the only way you will find out... Some of the better cows I have are not the prettiest- but have the best calves that look good...

Oldtimer":1bgproa2 said:
holm25":1bgproa2 said:

Definitely not the most flattering of pictures... Kind of looks like a wife in the morning before they get all their makeup on... But as your first picture shows- she pretty's up quite well...

I think you should use her and see what she produces... Its about the only way you will find out... Some of the better cows I have are not the prettiest- but have the best calves that look good...

Thanks for your reply. I feel bad that they get that dirty. But we have got rain and sleet the past few days and they all get a little dirty. I cleaned her up nice today except for the chunks of crap on her legs. Its still to cold to give her a good bath but when we have a day up in the 60-70s she is gonna have a hard core bath!

Her mom calved the other day and had a pretty big heifer calf considering the bull was calving ease.

Latest posts