Opinions on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":1ymzg4mw said:
RoanDurham":1ymzg4mw said:
nothing in this video would suggest to me that the bull is a 'curve bender.' In fact, w/o seeing his EPDS or actuals, I'm not aware of any possible way to conclude that.... so I'm curious, how you did you?

I did it on the aAa system of visual appraisal of his phenotype.
He is a curve bender for width.[/quote]

:shock: Did you just make that up?

RoanDurham":2ifzi3np said:
Son of Butch":2ifzi3np said:
RoanDurham":2ifzi3np said:
nothing in this video would suggest to me that the bull is a 'curve bender.' In fact, w/o seeing his EPDS or actuals, I'm not aware of any possible way to conclude that.... so I'm curious, how did you?

I did it on the aAa system of visual appraisal of his phenotype.
He is a curve bender for width.quote]

:shock: Did you just make that up?

Not at all.
aAa was developed in the late 1940's by Bill Weeks (R.I.P) a Master Breeder of holstein cattle.
I met Mr Weeks once in about 1985 he was good enough to spend over 4 hours 1 on 1 with me discussing holstein breeding.
I was impressed and believe his proven principles of breeding dairy cattle apply to beef cattle too.
here is a link to help explain aAa http://aaaweeks.com/aaa-weeks/history/

Gizmom-

Curious as to whether you bred to Charlo or not? They have a new video up on Accelerated Genetics...he sure is powerful appearing. Still seems to have a hitch in his rear legs. Would love to see some calves if anyone has any.

Tyler

I considered using Charlo on my Gelbvieh last spring, but decided to go with a couple other bulls. I ended up needing to buy a few more females so I went to a fellow breeder to look at some of his pairs and bred heifers. He had a Charlo bull calf on the ground that was really impressive. I would have loved to buy that pair, but he wasn't wanting to part with them and I don't blame him at all. After seeing that Charlo calf, he did have another Gelbvieh heifer that was bred to Charlo so she was one I picked to take home. She had a heifer calf. I wasn't real impressed with her the first few weeks. But now she is really coming on. She has a super fancy look to her. Probably more bone then I've gotten from a lot of other Angus bulls I've used. I think she's going to be pretty moderate, but I'm ok with that. So, I've only seen 2 Charlo calves, but what I've seen I have liked and I'll consider using him on heifers next season.

Interesting to note that when you pull up the Charlo bull SAV is now listed as one of the owners. We have 7 Charlo calves this year will have weaning data on them the end of the week.

Gizmom

When I first saw pictures of Charlo, he stood out to me, being so thick. I couldn't decide if it was somewhat natural and enhanced by feed, or just fed on. I think that he may work well with larger frame cows. While I may appreciate a more moderate sized cow, our markets here do not react kindly to smaller frame calves.
There are usually a few bulls each year that I am curious to see calves from, and he is definitely one that I would like to see some calves of. On a note of a different phenotype I would like to see some calves by WR Journey, and Quaker Hill Rampage.

gizmom":4cv7z76r said:
Interesting to note that when you pull up the Charlo bull SAV is now listed as one of the owners. We have 7 Charlo calves this year will have weaning data on them the end of the week.

Gizmom

Appears they bought interest in OCC General as well.

We have some crossbred Charlo yearling heifers, they look real good and should make good replacement females.
The only problem with them is part of them are nuts. In the pasture they are OK, but when you get them in to work them look out, they are running on speed. The calm one's will stay around to see how they do.

Well we finished working the calves today I said we had 7 Charlo calves I was mistaken we have 6 average weight for the 6 calves was 602 pounds. The biggest calf was 740 and the lightest is 409. The light calf is an ET calf that is on a recip that completely fell apart this year. She has been a good one but her age finally caught up with her and the results are showing in her calf.

gizmom

gizmom":jzrepqvs said:
Well we finished working the calves today.... Charlo calves .....we have 6 average weight for the
6 calves was 602 pounds. The biggest calf was 740 and the lightest is 409.
gizmom
What do you think of them?
Coleman had said...."best calves on the ranch".... fact or just sales hype?
I think there are a lot of cattlemen other than myself interested in more info on him. I've heard a lot of speculation by others and their opinions, but little from any who actually have had any calves from him.
Pictures would be nice....if you ever get the time and opportunity.

Quick math tells me throwing out the high and low = 4 averaged 616 lbs

Son of Butch

Overall I like the calves I would not say they are the best on the farm at least not for me but they are in the top end. Overall I really like the calves nice structure deep bodied very thick with a big hip. The musle carries down through the quarter they have a lot of muscle for sure. I will try to get some photos after the past two days I honestly don't even want to look at another cow! :D We got everything on the place worked except the bred heifers we are pooped. Good news only three open one was a cow called safe with an embryo when we ultra sounded but the boss caught her bulling so we rechecked her and sure enough she had slipped the calf. ( the boss is rarely wrong but I won't say that out loud). We will work bred heifers next week and then we can do the happy dance! I will try to get photos this weekend after I get over the past two days.

Gizmom

Ebenezer

The calves are fed on Mamma's milk. We have creep gates going into the rye grass fields so they are creep fed rye grass. This year the rye came in pretty good so they have had really good grass since around Christmas. Prior to the grass coming in they get mamma's milk and peanut or rye grass hay. Once the grass is really going we time graze the mamma cows on the rye which sure ups the milk production.

gizmom

Latest posts