Opinions on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":1ma9qelt said:
I am going to use this bull on a group next breeding season, just thought it would be interesting to hear what others thought of him. I realize I can't use him on small frame cattle but I think he will work with the right cow. He offers a lot of power.

http://youtu.be/ffPS1_cSZdM

Gizmom

He is an absolute meat wagon. His legs are out on the corners of an immense package of meat. He moves through a lot of straw, but it appears to me he is a bit short strided and choppy in his walk. I don't know whether he'll have problems or not, but I do think he could move better.

It appears to me that his feet are hidden in straw and most of the rest of the bull is hidden in fat. He looks unbeleivable overweight, I notice no muscle pattern whatsoever. Apart from that it looks like he has a lot of red meat as well, a back end like that can not only be feed, there has to be a good portion of steaks in there. his movements are probably due to the overweight...

Wow, how can anything that fat breed cows? Is he strictly AI?
If live cover, I would be afraid of having a bunch of crippled cows.

In aAa terms he'd be Round - Round - Round
1,2,3 are sharp numbers in aAa and 4,5,6 are round.
4 = strong 5 = smooth 6 = stylish
a round - round - round bull will sire easy fleshing cattle, lower milk production and have short forelegs
he would mate well on tall, shallow, narrow chested cows to help make offspring well balanced cattle
with healthier feet, legs and lungs.

According to aAa mating system
He will help prevent uneven pointed feet, spread toes, stiff swollen pasterns, narrow sick hocks, narrow pins,
shallow flanks, narrow roached loins, narrow shallow chests and long teats.

as a side note problems he won't help or will in fact create...
a cocky forward taihead, down pasterns, low hips, low loin, short teats, short forelegs, thick short neck with a short bully head.

branguscowgirl":2iwiszfr said:
Wow, how can anything that fat breed cows? Is he strictly AI?
If live cover, I would be afraid of having a bunch of crippled cows.

After mounting one cow, he'd probably be crippled himself. Definition of lardy bull if there ever was one.

Lol Chubby looked good untill he started waddling around! I wonder how long they took him off feed to get rid of his belly?

His back legs are messed up. He is limping on the right one, and on the 40 second mark, the foot breaks over. With the weight they have on him, with bad rear legs, either they are going to have to take a lot of weight to keep him standing, or he is going to go down. I doubt if he could stand to service many cows with the weight and the leg issue.
He is of OCC breeding, and he seemed to have inherited the genes. I would look to other OCC bulls to see if I could find something more sound.

He has a lot of good points, as his length, neck, etc....but the legs erase all the good.
One other thing that would apply to my area, he is such a small bull, -4 frame, that his calves would not sell well at the sale barn with calves of the same age.

I have always wondered if the smaller ones get down in the trailer, or do they get knocked back at the feed stations?? I am not sure why the pricing is different. Or maybe because, they just know they can do it.

The bull is not too fat. He might be a bcs6. I don't see fat deposits anywhere and as soon as the video starts, you can somewhat see the outline of his ribs.

The problem with the bull is his length relative to his height. He has tremendous length but unfortunately cannot even begin to cover his tracks. I would never consider a bull who couldn't hit his stride. On a cpl hundred acre ranch, I wouldn't expect this to limit his mobility much. On the other hand, I would never expect his to hold up turning him out on a section or two. I also don't care for that baboon tail as generally the higher the tail head is, the narrow the animal will be in the pins. This creates a pelvic cavity that is taller than it is wide. MCE then becomes an issue.

The mature frame score of this bull gives you no indication of his growth curve nor does it give you any indication of the frame score of his calves at weaning.

To sum, if he could cover his tracks and had a better tail head, I think he'd be an excellent bull.

Well he is not a funnel butt. I do not like his walk, seems labored. I would hate to see this owners feed bill$$$$$. Definately has meat.

That bull is an excellent choice for mating to cows that are the opposite of him.
He is an extreme individual that should do an excellent job on tall, narrow, heavy milking cows.
[cows that look like they almost could be 25% or more holstein, or another tall dairy breed]
He would BALANCE them out nicely.
I love the width of his chest for proper heart and lung development.

He is not a bull that would 'nick' or balance well on the vast majority of cows.
I'd call him a 'breeders bull' for breeders that have a plan and know what to mate him to.
He is too specialized to use straight across the board.

Fire and Ice never creates a balance.

The bull is more middle-of-the-road in terms of the spectrum.

RoanDurham is correct about breeding opposites. Breeding two opposite types will not give you a middle of the road offspring. Genetics doesn't work that way.

I watched him walk, and to me he seems to have problems carrying his weight sometimes. He gives in the hindquarters. Although being so cold there, he may be slipping a little.

To me he does have a good cover, and I think that what appears to be ribs is wrinkles in the fat over the ribs.

I would like to see him in the summer, moving around on better ground.

Have you seen any photos of his offspring?

alexfarms":kcavilw9 said:
gizmom":kcavilw9 said:
I am going to use this bull on a group next breeding season, just thought it would be interesting to hear what others thought of him. I realize I can't use him on small frame cattle but I think he will work with the right cow. He offers a lot of power.

http://youtu.be/ffPS1_cSZdM

Gizmom

He is an absolute meat wagon. His legs are out on the corners of an immense package of meat. He moves through a lot of straw, but it appears to me he is a bit short strided and choppy in his walk. I don't know whether he'll have problems or not, but I do think he could move better.

Alex very accurate analysis. I agree with all of your points. I do think he would work well on the right cow. I like him better than many of the current popular Angus and Polled Herefords that are lighter muscled. He is already long enough just needs 1-2 inches of leg and he would look totally different. He isn't a compact and dwarf looking like many of the current Polled Herefords and show type cattle. He does need more height which would give him a nice frame. An old timer used to say that fat is the prettiest color in the world. And sadly too many overfeed. Overfeeding many times is harder on a cow than underfeeding. It seems hard for some to find that happy medium. I've seen lots of bulls with a lot less to offer than this bull. Would use him and pick the cows I mated him too before I would use many of the current popular bloodlines. Not many bulls carry the red meat this bull does.

You better use him quick before the fat b@stard dies from a heart attack.

Only kidding a little. I like the bull up to a point. Yes he is too fat and yes his stride needs work. I am starting to think that the stride and the weight are not mutually exclusive though. I'll bet that if you knocked 200lbs off him he would walk a lot better.

I would use him but carefully.

Fat seems to cover to much of this bull for me to make a sound judgement he is long but im not really keen on the way his ribs meet is top. Also his rear legs and the way he walks leave me with wanting more. Im wondering if he is structurally sound and not just pig fat o cover him up. Use a proven sire go to sinclair or abs they have good ones with data to back it up

Latest posts