Opinions on these Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn":2ufco0ft said:
Breed them to post legged cows. Nice Bull Jason!

Breeding cattle is not the same as getting the water temperature just right in a bathtub. :) If you breed extremes to each other you tend to get extremes one way or the other, all of that dominant and recessive stuff you hear so much about comes into play.

The sickle hock deal, while readily apparent, doesn't bother me that much, it is that he is a typical example of one trait carcass selection that results in animals such as this one. Doc barely scratched the surface on this bull, but funnel butt springs to my mind when I see him. You could use him as a terminal sire, but I would not use him if you are trying to produce multifunctional GOOD Angus cattle and he is to be the basis for your future generations.

That said, while he is the type I don't appreciate, plenty of people apparently do, especially the feedlots and packer who they say will create more cattle that grade. How this is true, I have no idea, since angus sired cattle who presumably carry Precision, New Design and other carcass bloodlines now predominate and the cattle grading percentage is lower than ever.

So I wish you good luck. :)

I will make the very simple statement, I have way more than one bull to use on my cows.

Sizmic

sizmic":gyfu6xms said:
I will make the very simple statement, I have way more than one bull to use on my cows.

Sizmic
Sizmic

That is wise "Bull Management" practice! Correct evaluation and assessment of Phenotype and Genetics precludes time-consuming mating errors. Glad we could be of assistance.

You're welcome!

DOC HARRIS

KMacGinley":2dymkbhz said:
jscunn":2dymkbhz said:

That said, while he is the type I don't appreciate, plenty of people apparently do, especially the feedlots and packer who they say will create more cattle that grade. How this is true, I have no idea, since angus sired cattle who presumably carry Precision, New Design and other carcass bloodlines now predominate and the cattle grading percentage is lower than ever.

What does it means "grading" ??
And what you are trying to say with : "especially the feedlots and packer who they say will create more cattle that grade" and "Precision, New Design and other carcass bloodlines now predominate and the cattle grading percentage is lower than ever. "

Sorry but my english is not very good and I want to understand what you are saying.

Thanks
Lorenzo

Lorenzo":6yxa3k3l said:
KMacGinley":6yxa3k3l said:
jscunn":6yxa3k3l said:

What does it means "grading" ??
And what you are trying to say with : "especially the feedlots and packer who they say will create more cattle that grade" and "Precision, New Design and other carcass bloodlines now predominate and the cattle grading

He's referring the the USDA Meat Grading System. Precision, New Design bulls, etc., are known for producing feedlot efficient, high marbling calves. Higher quality grade beef is more valuable than lower quality grade beef.

Here's a link that might help with any grading system questions:
http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

BTW, I enjoyed your photos. It's good to see Angus doing well in other countries, too. :D

Thanks for the link and for the explanation !!
Ok, they were talking about marbling.. ;-)

L

Lorenzo":1pe4nat3 said:
Thanks for the link and for the explanation !!
Ok, they were talking about marbling.. ;-)

L

Well, there are both Quality and Yield Grades. Quality Grade is dependent on marbling. Yield Grade is the amount of beef "yielded" by the carcass. Fat, muscling, bone, are some things that affect the Yield Grade.

The calves look pretty good...

The bull speaks for himself also.

They all look to be in good shape for this time of year!

Latest posts