Opinions of this bull (KID PHOTOS ADDED)

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Give it your best guys. I will post some photos of his calves when (if!) I can get them uploaded..... I really hate dial-up!!

jackaroo_z109.JPG

EDIT: This is a week before this fella was taken out of 54 cows, so really is his 'working togs'

Killala i realy like the look of this bull would like to see some of his calve's but he looks like one of the finer bull's posted here what is his BW?

rattler

Thanks rattler.
His Aussie birthweight EBV is +2.1... the average is +2.7. His calving ease (direct) is +1.8, average -0.9, and gestation length is -1.8, average -0.9.
Sorry, I don't know how these compare with your EPDs but gives you an idea. He is also way above average for growth, carcase weight, EMA and RBY.
Hope that's what you wanted!!

Looks like a pretty good bull. Would like to see a front and rear view, but he has the eye appeal. I absolutely love the dark red color hide. Almost all of my cattle are black, but I love the dark red color of shorthorn and red angus.

Killala":3tpr7el8 said:
Give it your best guys. I will post some photos of his calves when (if!) I can get them uploaded..... I really hate dial-up!!

jackaroo_z109.JPG

EDIT: This is a week before this fella was taken out of 54 cows, so really is his 'working togs'
good looking bull,, like that country

TNMasterBeefProducer":1vekvi6z said:
Good looking bull. I thought adelaide was the city and was a beach type area kind of like malibu california or something.

I'm not from Adelaide, just the Hills. Adelaide is nothing like Malibu!! This is a photo from work though, and I work in the south-east of SA. This photo is taken on a block we call the plains, it is separate from our home block (6000 acres and sandy). We usually cut a bit of pasture hay down the plains but this paddock wasn't thick enough to cut this year. We put the cows in here 2 days before the photo- boy, did they think they were in heaven!! (Keeping in mind that we've been in drought and they haven't seen feed like that in god knows how long!!)

bandit80":1vekvi6z said:
Looks like a pretty good bull. Would like to see a front and rear view, but he has the eye appeal. I absolutely love the dark red color hide. Almost all of my cattle are black, but I love the dark red color of shorthorn and red angus.

Thanks bandit. I'll try and find some more photos (or else take some) but as I said, I have dial-up and uploading photos is an absolute nightmare. :roll: The bull is a lovely rich red, the photo doesn't do him justice. His calves are all the same- dark red, awesome tops and butts, and the best temperaments.
NB- This bull has never been shown but easily has one of the best temperaments we've ever seen. He's such a polite bull!! lol

Well here are a few photos of the calves. I have some better ones that I'll try to find at some stage.

Heifer 1
P1170558.JPG

Bull 1
P1170578.JPG

Bull 2
P1170577.JPG

Heifer 2
P1170567.JPG

Heifer 3
P1170564.JPG

Some very good looking Shorthorns, those #1 and 3 heifers are sure the right kind. If that Bull looks like that after 54 cows worth of work I'm impressed. The #2 Bull calf is a dandy also.

I have dial-up and uploading photos is an absolute nightmare.
know how ya feel :help:

that's a nice bull and some real purty calves :heart:

Killala Thank's for posting the pic's of the calve's they are nice real nice that is what it is all about.Good job.

rattler

Thanks for the replies. We're pretty happy with him, he's a homebred bull who didn't get to cover too many girls last year as he was stuck in an AI centre (he has semen licensed for most countries, we are currently sending some across to Argentina and Uruguay along with another of our bulls).
This year we used him over the 54 coes and AI'd a further 30 odd to him. I'd like to add that he isn't just used on 'top' cows. Some of those calves are out of some pretty average cows. When we were AI'ing anything with a weak top or that just needed some meat was put to him, he's a pretty safe bet we believe. Can't wait to see how his steers go!!

Darn nice bull. Good calves. The Shorthorn breed has gone from strength to strength over the past few years. They seem to have been in the doldrums for a little while. Australian cattle breeders generally have the knack of blending import (US,Canadian etc) blood with our domestic bloodlines into a worthwhile package. This applies to a number of breeds. Just now in the Brahman breed things are looking up after the imports of the mid to late eighties where many inferior blood cattle were imported causing problems with temperament and doing ability. JDH bloodlines in the greys has helped and HK has helped the reds.
Wish the local Shorthorn breeder could produce bulls like your bloke Killala.
Bet you Shorthorn enthusiasts were excited about the Champion female at the Beef Show at Dubbo? :banana: Colin

R.N.Reed":gvr96o05 said:
Like your bull and calves Killala,whats his breeding?

He is by Shadybrook Scotty 83K out of a cow by Belmore Washington N6 (x CC Cujo).

I like him :)
He looks like he throws some good calves, I really like that 3rd heifer.
And for being with 54 cows and in his working clothes, he's lookin' pretty good.

Bek":ene1jeft said:
I like him :)
He looks like he throws some good calves, I really like that 3rd heifer.
And for being with 54 cows and in his working clothes, he's lookin' pretty good.

That's what we reckon Bek. When he came out of cows he weighed 1154kgs, we also measured him: 154cms at the hip, 253cms poll to tailhead.
He's alright I guess 8)

Bl@@dy he!!... :p
He is a bit of alright... :lol:

I haven't seen anything come out the paddock like that in a while. Getting better now though that we're having a good season. Fingers crossed for winter.