Opinions needed?? Getting my feet wet.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":1stzb37l said:
ALACOWMAN":1stzb37l said:
Dave":1stzb37l said:
Education cost. You will get a lot of the same education from a bunch of older cows that you would from a bunch of heifers and it won't cost you as much when you make a mistake. For my two cents I would look for older (even broken mouth) Hereford cows that if possible are bred to a black bull. They will cost you a lot less, generally be easier to handle, and BWF calves sell real well no matter where you are.
. Yep! Want to get in on the ground floor, and knock a home run...black baldies.. You won't go wrong..even the old hands started out with em, and decided they couldn't do any better...
Couldn't do any better or ran out of time to do better? ;)
If I had listen to a old man, when I started out..I'd be knee deep in them now...

Im going to be contrary to most here but I will suggest you buy registered weanling heifers of the breed you want.Registered cattle will give you a tool that cross breeds likely wont in EPDs. The heifers should be out of dams with easy calving genetics and preferably 3 or more calves with performance data on them that indicate easy calving. They should be sired by bulls that have easy calving genetics and maternal value backed up by actual performance. Get somebody you trust to help you select for pheontype because structure is important, maybe your extension agent or a knowledgeable friend. Prior to purchase, have your pastures and fences in good shape, and if you dont have one, build a catch pen that you can feed and water in. This is a good place for a working alley or a chute for vaccines, meds etc. You will need this, and waiting until you do to build it will be bad. When you bring the young girls home keep them in the pen a few days until they learn how to eat. They will learn there is no more mama tit and that you will take care of them. If you buy calves that have been on creep this will be easier. You can grow these calves out and learn about cows for about a year before you need to breed, and then you have 9 mo after breeding to learn all you can about calving. If you buy a bull with easy calving genetics that have accuracy you will be fine. A good way to do that is to buy a older bull somebody with a clean herd just needs to rotate out, but has living proof of his performance. You wont make money on these calves for about 3 years but you will be learning and enjoying them with your family. There is not one thing wrong with a small herd for enjoyment. Everything in not about money,and likely some of the stuff you might get on a web site is coming from folks with a big opinion on a computer and a small herd they call a business. If you raise the heifers up and are calm around them, they will learn to trust you and should be calm, and easier to handle.I hope you will include your family in the descions of what to buy, and take them with you to get them , and let them help care for the cattle. My cattle have been a great bonding point for my family. You will be surprised how a youngin will want to help feed and water etc, and its good for everybody, maybe better than money. My two cents, I wish you the best

Latest posts