opinions/experience, SAF Bulls Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has used or seen anything from S A F Bulls Eye #13425117. His picture in the Semex catalog is not real impressive, but I like the low BW EPD #. Thinking of breeding my I87 heifers to him.

yeah i saw his picture in semex i immediatly looked over him. have you considered using rib eye?

Dee":1kok0i28 said:
Wondering if anyone has used or seen anything from S A F Bulls Eye #13425117. His picture in the Semex catalog is not real impressive, but I like the low BW EPD #. Thinking of breeding my I87 heifers to him.
Dee- I am wondering how much priority you give to what a PICTURE of a bull indicates insofar as his ability to sire the kind and type of progeny you are seeking. Is the low BW the main criteria you use for the potential of your next year's calf crop? A picture is not a guarantee of acceptable phenotype for a herd bull.

S A F Bulls Eye has spectacular Growth EPD's (CED +13, BW-1.8, WW +49, YW +79 SC +.74 - and his Milk EPD is a very acceptable +23, which is at the top edge of my pattern guide for Milk EPD's for Replacement heifers. Being that he is eight years old, he has reasonable Accuracies. His Ultrasound % is +.14 and the REA is +.04, which figures, ideally, could be higher, but I am assuming that you are more interested in the Production stats than Carcass for your Heifers.

If your average cow herd EPD's can match those of Bulls Eye, you have some terrific herd! If not, he can be an improvement for you. Just a suggestion: in the future I would consider more factors than just BW and a picture for bull selection - particularly for 187 breeder's! He will determine your success pretty significantly!

DOC HARRIS

DOC, the BW is my main priority with these heifers, as they were very heavy at birth, and out of my P'Fred heifers I really didn't expect #109 calves. I am willing to sacrifice some things for a low BW. I do look at the bull himself, as well as the EPD's. His #'s were good, but his picture is just plain ugly! I thought by posting my original question, someone would know that the pic was of the bull at 12mo. old, or something. (That's what it looks like to me.)
Glover, where do I find Rib Eye?

Cdn bull, think he's a Fullback out of a Fame cow from Hoffs, not exactly a calving ease bloodline.

Latest posts