Opinion on Tractor tire rating and stressors?

Help Support CattleToday:

sunnyblueskies

Reaction score
John Deere 7410, but that doesn't really matter.

So I had a flat today on one of the front tires. (FWA) There was no hole or anything, the tire simply had cracked and deteriorated on the inside. These front tires are/were only 6 ply.
So we are putting now 10 ply tires on, but our tire guy asked us if we haul 2 bales (hay)(greenfeed) at a time with the grapple or just one?
90% of the time we haul 2 with the grapple. He says that is too much weight on the front and is one of the reasons the front tires are failing pre maturely.

Now, a 10 ply tire has a load capacity of 4180 lbs. Shouldn't that be strong enough to carry two 5 ft. haybales?
What is your take on that.
I just really don't know.

John Deere 7410, but that doesn't really matter.

So I had a flat today on one of the front tires. (FWA) There was no hole or anything, the tire simply had cracked and deteriorated on the inside. These front tires are/were only 6 ply.
So we are putting now 10 ply tires on, but our tire guy asked us if we haul 2 bales (hay)(greenfeed) at a time with the grapple or just one?
90% of the time we haul 2 with the grapple. He says that is too much weight on the front and is one of the reasons the front tires are failing pre maturely.

Now, a 10 ply tire has a load capacity of 4180 lbs. Shouldn't that be strong enough to carry two 5 ft. haybales?
What is your take on that.
I just really don't know.

Well if the set that was on there lasted until they rotted out, I'd say he's full of it. Check the DOT codes and see how old they are.

Calculating the exact weight on the tires is going to be complicated, since the weight of the bales and the loader is cantilevered out there a ways.

JMO, but if the tractor can lift it without getting tippy on the rear, shouldn't be heavy enough to hurt the tires.

U need a new tire guy. Lol

If those tires were ever run low on air pressure, loaded or not, that does more damage than one can see without dismounting the tire.

Too many variables to say definitively that 2 bales cause your tires to fail.

Putting a heavier tire certainly wont hurt load capacity. Ride quality may or may not suffer.

Keep air pressure adequate for the load being carried

I pickup 2 bales with a grapple bucket on tires rated for 5840lbs a piece, and can with certainty tell you that it shortens tire life and causes splitting and cracking. When that loader gets bouncing around there is way over rated capacity on the front tires and axle.

I have two tractor with the same front tires and the loader tractor cracks and splits tires long before the tread is worn out like the non-loader tractor. These are firestone FWD rated tires.

Tires are cheap compared to repairing/rebuilding a front wheel assist on a tractor. The size of that tractor probably could handle two bales, but there still is a lot of weight hanging out front when you add in the loader, heavy filled fluid tires and the tractor weight. I have not seen it, but a neighbor has a cushion devise added to his inline loader hose to when the tractor hits a bump it cushions the loader bounce. He has a Kubota M5-111 and really likes the added feature for ride smoothness.

Tires are cheap compared to repairing/rebuilding a front wheel assist on a tractor. The size of that tractor probably could handle two bales, but there still is a lot of weight hanging out front when you add in the loader, heavy filled fluid tires and the tractor weight. I have not seen it, but a neighbor has a cushion devise added to his inline loader hose to when the tractor hits a bump it cushions the loader bounce. He has a Kubota M5-111 and really likes the added feature for ride smoothness.

I've often wondered about that. Westendorf calls it comfort ride. I've seen it on some skid steers too.

Seems to me like you could plumb in a couple of accumulators and a solenoid valve and get the same thing.

Loaders can really slam hard when you run over a hole in the field.

Rear tires with fluid helps to take the load off of the front end. Kind of like a teeter-dodder.

I have a loader tractor and skid steer with "ride control" that uses an accumulator setup to cushion the ride. It sure does help with the slamming when going over bumps.

Yeah we have fluid in the rear wheels. That with the bouncing made me think. We have 6 months of winter, so all the frozen cow turds do make the tractor bounce around quite a bit. Thanks for the food of thought guys.

Thats why you move them with a car hood you don't have to worry about all that. 😅🤡 🙌🏾 Hey now we have moved up since car hood farming. Thats determination to farm there.

In case you wasn't here, there was a time my husband and I was in between tractor. We moved hay bails with a car hood and a truck. Hahahaha it was very entertaining and got the job done.

In case you wasn't here, there was a time my husband and I was in between tractor. We moved hay bails with a car hood and a truck. Hahahaha it was very entertaining and got the job done.
Hey, what ever works. That's a pretty slick idea. We used to go sledding on car hoods. Lots of fun!

Hey, what ever works. That's a pretty slick idea. We used to go sledding on car hoods. Lots of fun!

Thats when you know your a redneck. Bahahahahahaha. We did that years ago worked good. We used kayaks too that was fun.

The Quicke loader on our McCormick has that, basically an accumulator mounted to the crosstube on front of loader. This one is controlled by a manual valve up front, some of them have an electronically controlled solenoid with a switch on the loader joystick. First tractor I've owned with one, but it really does take a lot of shock off the front end of the tractor going across the field.

My cousin works for JD and says they usually mount their accumulators near the rear axle for the front end loaders, should be easy enough to add one to a JD loader if the original poster was interested.

Latest posts