Opinion on Hunting Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently bought an additional 165 ac near my farm. A guy came by and offered me $300/gun for 4 guns to hunt the place year round.
100 ac are in pasture and 65 are in brush, mesquite etc... There is ample wildlife on the place and a tank that's never gone dry.

I'm not a hunter nor do I know anything about hunting. I don't mind someone hunting my place as long as they don't litter or kill one of my cows.

I would like to know if someone can provide an opinion as the whether I should take the offer or not. I plan to run cattle in the new place but will take me some time to buy the additional head. The hunter guy offered to help me with the keepup of the fences and to disc the sunflowers from the 100 ac in pasture.

This is in Navarro Cnty in North/Central TX.

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Andrew

If there's deer on the place...300 bucks is mighty cheap. If theres deer/turkey/dove....then no wonder the guys wants it for 300 bucks yr round, that would be a bargain! Find out what neighbors are getting for hunting rights on their places and go from there. 165 acres is maxxed out at 4 hunters, but you can prob get more if you wanted to. As far as cattle and hunters, where we hunt the old man runs cattle yr round, he just moves them to a different pasture during deer season, and we get to hunt over the winter wheat fields he has planted. On the rare occasion where we do hunt a area with the cows, we just make sure anyone hunting with us knows the difference between a 1000 pound cow and a 150 pound deer.

Hunters for the most part are good people. There are a few rotten apples as with any group of people. His offer to help with the work is a good thing and shows a willingness to give back to the land instead of just take. Give him a shot if you like him. Meet the other hunters and formulate a gut feeling. Give yourself an out in the lease if it doesn't work or you are not happy. :cboy:

I would recommend that you put your lease agreement in writing in a legal lease document. Spell out exactly what rights the hunters have and what rights you retain. Be sure that you have protection from liability if someone gets hurt or if their equipment gets damaged. There are quite a few things to consider before entering into a lease. I'm sure that there are fill-in-the-blank hunting lease agreements available, or you may want to talk to an attorney, either way, be sure to cover yourself. If it is in writing it can save you a major headache down the road. A gentlemen's' agreement and a handshake don't mean diddley when it hit the fan. I agree that most hunters are honest, honerable people who will respect your property. The price seems about right to me.

I get $100.00 per acre, 4 guns max. They have a camp trailer with water and electric. They have use of a boat ramp for fishing. I move the cows to another place for deer season. I would suggest you do the same. Sometimes I wonder if its worth it.

I would suggest in addition to the other advice you've been given you contact your local TP&W biologist. They can be a tremendous help in determining just what resources you have available and how to manage them for the most benefit. This link should get you started: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/l ... ndex.phtml

I don't know much about your area but around here you can get $1000-$1200 per gun if you have a decent deer population and doe permits. That example includes 1 buck, 1 doe, all the hogs you can shoot, fishing and a camp house with elec. and indoor plumbing. It also happens to be an archery only lease at this time.

I have seen both ends of the leasing situation. Hunter density depends on population density of game and terrain. It's not uncommon to find 1 hunter/50-60 acres in the Hill Country of Texas but having experienced that I would want a maximum of 1 hunter/100 acres. In my area I would want even less density for firearms users. With archery you can increase the density provided you don't over harvest (that's what consulting your biologist is about). Make sure you consult your insurance agent about liability issues also.

Hi Andrew i wouldn,t make a decision until i meet all the hunter,s.Just about all the hunter,s around here nice people but there are that give the rest of us a bad name.
rattler

"Make sure you consult your insurance agent about liability issues also" This is very important. Some guy was hunting on a neighbors farm and fell out of a tree stand. He had never used a tree stand before in his life but he took my neighbor to court and won a setlement of 100K.
Somehow it was my neighbors fault he didn't know how to hang a tree stand or it was the neighbors tree that kicked him out one. Havent figured out yet what the courts believe happened.

BP

No its not worth it, I own Land in Navarro County and I do sell Hunt Packages. NOT YEAR ROUND ACCESS.There are several very important factors you must consider. Check your PM.

Think of dove season. I watch good hunters, then I see the others. "Year round" includes dove season. Are they going to pick up all of the shotgun shells or will you have them scattered all over the property? Will you be finding shotgun shells that the cows have chewed?

If a dove falls across a fence will they climb over the fence, pull steeples and leave it that way over and over?

I dove hunted for years with a group that picked up each and every spent shell. Now there are a couple of hunters who leave shells everywhere and the fences in their proximity show signs of them as well. They have no respect and no conscience. I quit dove hunting a couple of years after about 12 years straight on that property.

If the hunters are country boys who know the ropes, have respect, and respect the property, it is not a bad deal. I do think you could fetch many more nickels that what they are offering, but you could get a bunch of disrespectful city boys too.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable advice. I will certainly research it a bit more and find better options or at least protect myself with the one presented.

I check follow up on the recommendations.

Thanks you very much.

Andrew

Bluestem":9uf99576 said:
I get $100.00 per acre, 4 guns max. They have a camp trailer with water and electric. They have use of a boat ramp for fishing. I move the cows to another place for deer season. I would suggest you do the same. Sometimes I wonder if its worth it.

$100.00 / acre :shock: :shock:

$300 per gun for year around access is CHEAP! Can I get in on that too? :lol: Really though, I think I would ask for more then that.

I would require anyone who uses your land to provide their own liability insurance.

bcox

TXBobcat":18m5d1j3 said:
Bluestem":18m5d1j3 said:

$100.00 / acre :shock: :shock:
My mistake. I wish. Ten dollars per acre is what I get. Hope I didn't inflate lease prices to high.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there is a "hunting lease" license required in Texas that will have to be purchased if you collect a fee from others in exchange for hunting privileges. The cost is based on the number of acres leased.

You still got the "Old Elvis" cop in Frost? I know many many people who have been ticketed by that guy.

Apologies if you are, in fact, the "Old Elvis Cop".

Seems to me that in South Texas, ranchers down there make a lot of money on hunting leases to corporate types wanting to take their clients on a hunt. They even stock exotics for that purpose.

Any you'all do this sort of thing?

Yep, he gave me two tickets claiming that I hadn't stopped completely. This is on Hwy 22 which didn't have a soul. I later heard that he was an Elvis impersonator. The weird thing is he looks nothing like Elvis.
Beware of the stop sign cause its a trap.

Andrew

I agree with most of the replies! I would put everything in writing including your rules and make it clear that one mistake will be their last on your property. It is a good ideal to make them to show proof of insurance which covers them; your cattle and your property besides you might get so insurance to cover the property. Most hunters are okay and follow the rule but you have bad apples as well! $100.00 per ac. is right plus they should pay an up front damage fee as well. Get a lawyer to make up the hunting lease! ETW