Open Heifers....Or not

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
So towards the end of last May I bought 4 open (vet-checked) angus/brangus heifers. I turned them out and they've really grown into what I was hoping for. Well, early January rolls around and I'm thinking they appear to be closer to calving than I was expecting. I looked back at my paper work and these ladies shouldn't be coming in till late March. I started keeping a closer watch on them and sure enough, I could tell they were gonna calve real soon.
28 Calf.jpg14 calf.jpg

Aside from the fact that they're almost a month early, the bull on my place is a registered angus. His bull was a horned hereford. I'll let yall decide who the daddy is!

Both of these calves are heifers, so depending on how they grow, I may be keeping them since they are of no relation to my bull. Looks like 3 out of the 4 were less than 30 days bred when i bought them! The 3rd one should be calving any day now.

Did you get to lay eyes on the Hereford bull? Was he nice?

Sounds like you had a pleasant surprise.

Cute calves.
Yep. Thick and stout. Like the old herefords around here used to be. The herefords around here now seem to be getting taller and thinner framed. Thats another reason i'm thinking of keeping these heifers.

Nice pairs. No doubt they are by a Hereford bull. They were probably not far enough along bred at the time the vet checked them to tell that they were bred. From what I understand they have to be about a month or 6 weeks before they can tell.
I really like Hereford and Hereford cross cows, the biggest issue that I see around here with Herefords is some of the popular bulls are too short and toady.

Nice pairs. No doubt they are by a Hereford bull. They were probably not far enough along bred at the time the vet checked them to tell that they were bred. From what I understand they have to be about a month or 6 weeks before they can tell.
I really like Hereford and Hereford cross cows, the biggest issue that I see around here with Herefords is some of the popular bulls are too short and toady.
That was my best guess as well. I was somewhat happy about it. I generally like the hereford cross females. Usually make good momma cows. I have always liked the that cross with anything brahman influenced. The hereford seems to gentle them up. These heifers all have a little brahman influence in them and are the most "stand-offish" cows I have. By no means wild, but not dog gentle either.

looks like you have good weather for them calving. A nice live calf is always a plus even if they are a little early. will also give them extra time to grow before breeding if you are planning on late March calves if you keep for breeding stock.

looks like you have good weather for them calving. A nice live calf is always a plus even if they are a little early. will also give them extra time to grow before breeding if you are planning on late March calves if you keep for breeding stock

Our winters aren't too terrible here as long as they stay fairly dry. Coldest temps are typically in the twenties, but we regularly see 60 during the day. Usually if the cows make it through mid February holding good body condition, they've made it.

Nice surprise! Hopefully the little gals will turn out good for you, looks like their mommas are doing what they're supposed to.
so far, so good. The one with the red calf has a lot of milk for a heifer. I am interested to see how she holds up. If she holds body condition well, she'll be a candidate to retain some future heifers hopefully.

Latest posts