Open carry, your thoughts on these two guys

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":331khqcc said:
You can believe this if I see someone with a gun I won't take my eyes off of them. Running around on the streets with a gun is asking for trouble. Just plain and simple.
I probably own as many gun as anybody and carry every time my pants are on. But I am like highgrit I watch someone that seems to want everyone to see they are carrying. VA has open carry but it is rare to see anyone with it out in the open.

I think they should do everyone a favor, show the ID even though they aren't required by law...cool they know their rights more than the cops do, but it's not helping the greater good in this case.

While I am not going to open carry, the anti gun nuts have excelled in stigmatizing those that do carry.

user1":12m50k6e said:
While I am not going to open carry, the anti gun nuts have excelled in stigmatizing those that do carry.
He!! most of us would look like Festus Hagen wobbling down the street with a pistol dangling anyway. :lol2:

Hubby and I have both now had a chance to look at those videos, Alan. While those guys may have been exercising their rights, they are idjits! Am not sure what the OR law is, and not having seen a similar case here, am not sure what the WA law is without research. But if cops are called, and show up, what these guys did/others would do in trying to make a point is total BS. That mentality makes it harder for both cops and law makers to support 2nd Amendment. I would call L.E. if I saw someone unknown to me walking the streets in our town with an openly exposed weapon.

JSCATTLE":6u9tl2ne said:
Even if it was legal I think I would still carry concealed . That might make you the second or third target in a store robbery . If I was the bad guy I'd shoot the guy with the gun first . Givinging you time to draw and shoot the bad guy . And as far as cops go they are just the nerds that got picked on in school that want to show their authority now . Thier sole job is to make money for the city government . I've never Been around one that was there to protect only to act like you are in the wrong until you prove other wise.

-Some times its better for people to think your stupid, then for you to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Someone should really look at the gun laws in Oregon. If the city has less than (I think it's) 250,000 residents, open carry is legal.

mncowboy":33y9zt9x said:
JSCATTLE":33y9zt9x said:
Even if it was legal I think I would still carry concealed . That might make you the second or third target in a store robbery . If I was the bad guy I'd shoot the guy with the gun first . Givinging you time to draw and shoot the bad guy . And as far as cops go they are just the nerds that got picked on in school that want to show their authority now . Thier sole job is to make money for the city government . I've never Been around one that was there to protect only to act like you are in the wrong until you prove other wise.

-Some times its better for people to think your stupid, then for you to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Having a opinion doesn't make me stupid .

1) Cops don't carry guns to protect us.
2) Cops are never there when you need to protect yourself.
3) Open carry - Leave that to the cops. Why advertise that you need to be the first target instead of being the solution.

My opinion? I am better able to protect myself than any cop on any force, local, state of federal. :tiphat:

gimpyrancher":1dcs7uo6 said:
3) Open carry - Leave that to the cops. Why advertise that you need to be the first target instead of being the solution.

My opinion? I am better able to protect myself than any cop on any force, local, state of federal. :tiphat:
You're right Gimpy, mostly. #1 Sometimes individuals are protected by cops carrying guns, but they carry them to protect themselves. #2 When shyt starts to happen, you are usually without police protection. #3 Agree.

I work with law enforcement -- city, county, state patrol -- every day, and have the utmost respect for them as a group. Most of those guys are pretty darn good guys, but if you went out and did what they do every day, you might get a little jaded when you deal with a smart-a$$ and/or drunk, someone obviously trying to hide stuff during a traffic stop, won't open the door when a woman has called in and says she's being beaten . . . . and on and on. They are there to help revive or pick up the pieces and parts when you or your kid or your neighbor drinks too much and "accidentally" kills or maims a few other people in a car wreck, or find your drug over-dosed niece after she hasn't been to work for two days and they get a "check welfare" report. And then they have the privilege of calling the families. Then there are those who pre-suppose COP will be a jerk, so YOU'LL be a jerk ahead of him/her.

Oh yeah, absolutely . . . . . they're all puffed up, full of themselves, and ready to entrap you/yours in your stupidity. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A co-worker of mine has a nephew who got arrested in Olympia for wearing a bowie knive on his belt in plain view. He was just walking down the street. Hadn't talked to anyone. Minding his own business. But the cops were called because people "felt threatened". This is a society problem when people feel threatened at the mere sight of somebody who is armed in anyway.
Years ago I walked about three blocks in down town Seattle packing a rifle. That was as close as I could a parking spot to the gun shop. People may have looked at me as a walked along but nobody called the cops. I bet you couldn't make that same walk now days without getting a lot of attention from the police.
The guys in the video might be idiots, but what does it say for our society when the sight of any armed person is seen as a threat.

I don't have a problem with open carry, these morons pushed the issue buy refusing to show ID. Just show your ID and move on.

gimpyrancher":2emvznpj said:

That sums it up pretty well.

Also in regards to all the stories I've heard about people innocently minding there own business being arrested; talk to an unbiased witness and you will here about these "innocent people" not showing ID, getting caught lying, not cooperating, or mouthing off. It's not the cops fault if your pulled over for speeding, get caught with illegal drugs, tresspassing, whatever. I've had my fair of tickets, but they were all because I was doing something illegal. I didn't blame the cops for doing there job. Be polite, show respect, answer questions truthfully, comply with requests for ID/license, move on.

Kathie in Thorp":3mt6syky said:
gimpyrancher":3mt6syky said:

You're right Gimpy, mostly. #1 Sometimes individuals are protected by cops carrying guns, but they carry them to protect themselves. #2 When shyt starts to happen, you are usually without police protection. #3 Agree.

I work with law enforcement -- city, county, state patrol -- every day, and have the utmost respect for them as a group. Most of those guys are pretty darn good guys, but if you went out and did what they do every day, you might get a little jaded when you deal with a smart-a$$ and/or drunk, someone obviously trying to hide stuff during a traffic stop, won't open the door when a woman has called in and says she's being beaten . . . . and on and on. They are there to help revive or pick up the pieces and parts when you or your kid or your neighbor drinks too much and "accidentally" kills or maims a few other people in a car wreck, or find your drug over-dosed niece after she hasn't been to work for two days and they get a "check welfare" report. And then they have the privilege of calling the families. Then there are those who pre-suppose COP will be a jerk, so YOU'LL be a jerk ahead of him/her.

Oh yeah, absolutely . . . . . they're all puffed up, full of themselves, and ready to entrap you/yours in your stupidity. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldnt have said it better myself, finnally someone who has an idea what Law Enforcment deals with on day to day, night to night basis, thank you. :tiphat:

I keep remembering (back in the day) riding my motorcycle to my friend's house to go shooting with my pistol in my western holster with a 30.06 across my back and a 22 rifle through my belt across my lap and not causing any surprise or concern to anyone. Now? Cops don't deal with the same kinds of people anymore. Today's LEO are not what I grew up with. It's a different world. But I can't blame all of them for a few bad apples. I still feel safer when I call and they arrive. :cboy:

406611_3726713879078_851126155_n.jpg

gimpyrancher":2290k26g said:

I am certain that my emotional investment in protecting myself is far greater.

If a cop is present, on the other hand, he becomes the primary target.

Latest posts