Only in Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Man shot in fight over James Brown's height
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
By CONNIE BAGGETT
Staff Reporter
Gunfire landed a 70-year-old Atmore man in jail and a 62-year-old man in the hospital Monday after the two got into a heated argument over the height of recently deceased soul musician James Brown, police said.

Atmore police said David James Brooks Jr. walked into the police station and told officers he had been shot. Paramedics rushed him to a hospital for treatment.

Minutes later, Dan Gulley Jr. arrived at the station, saying he had fired the gunshot, officers said Tuesday.

Investigators learned that the two men had been at a friend's house on Stallworth Street when they argued about just how tall James Brown was.

Brown, known as "The Godfather of Soul" and the "Hardest Working Man in Show Business," died Dec. 25 in Atlanta of a heart attack at the age of 73.

His career spanned 50 years, including hits during the civil rights movement and into the 1980s.

So just how tall was Brown, who was known to wear lifts?

He was 5 feet 6 inches tall, according to several Internet sources.

One of those sources -- CelebHeights.com -- bills itself as a "fairly reliable guide" but does not state its source.

Other Internet references to Brown's height also do not list sources.

Witnesses told police that after Gulley and Brooks' argument escalated, Gulley began shooting at Brooks, hitting him twice in the abdomen.

Brooks, already wounded, went to his vehicle, got a gun and returned fire at Gulley, missing him, according to a police news release.

Gulley was arrested by Atmore Police officers and charged with assault. He remained in Escambia County Jail on Tuesday. Brooks remained in the hospital on Tuesday, officers said. Information regarding his condition was not available.

Atmore officers said the shooting happened shortly after noon Monday and that alcohol is not believed to be a factor. Police recovered two small-caliber handguns, investigators said.

If they ran out of shells someone should have gave them more.
No need in a good gunfight an just cripples.

Both were pretty short, one of them , can,t remember which one had a problem with there family jewels hurting all the time an went to see the doctor. The doctor had them to stand on the examination table an turn very slowly around. Yep, yep, i think i see the problem an told the nurse to hand him a pair of scissors, snip, snip snip. Wow Doc. that feels great, what did you do.
I cut 2 inches off the top of your cowboy boots.

curtis":1vhbcykg said:
Both were pretty short, one of them , can,t remember which one had a problem with there family jewels hurting all the time an went to see the doctor. The doctor had them to stand on the examination table an turn very slowly around. Yep, yep, i think i see the problem an told the nurse to hand him a pair of scissors, snip, snip snip. Wow Doc. that feels great, what did you do.
I cut 2 inches off the top of your cowboy boots.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should have given him more shells too.

MikeC":34d8gxsl said:
Atmore officers said the shooting happened shortly after noon Monday and that alcohol is not believed to be a factor. Police recovered two small-caliber handguns, investigators said.

Are these the worlds' most naive cops?
If alcohol wasn't a factor, this is really scary.
Besides, JB was 5'6" in his dreams. 5'2", generously. And don't argue with me, I'm packin'.

john250":2zsdx828 said:
MikeC":2zsdx828 said:

Besides, JB was 5'6" in his dreams. 5'2", generously. And don't argue with me, I'm packin'.

John, THIS IS Alabama you know! Besides, these cops must know criminals, the state's largest penitentiary is in Atmore. :lol:

MikeC":3pm15m54 said:
john250":3pm15m54 said:
MikeC":3pm15m54 said:

John, THIS IS Alabama you know! Besides, these cops must know criminals, the state's largest penitentiary is in Atmore. :lol:

Heck, this happens everywhere! Two guys get to talkin' trash about something-say chevy v ford or angus v simmis and pretty soon it becomes a lot more. It's just that I don't know anyone who would go to homicide about it. Unless alcohol was there. Or meth or crack. Or a woman.

john250":1mj0ccc9 said:
MikeC":1mj0ccc9 said:
john250":1mj0ccc9 said:
MikeC":1mj0ccc9 said:

Heck, this happens everywhere! Two guys get to talkin' trash about something-say chevy v ford or angus v simmis and pretty soon it becomes a lot more. It's just that I don't know anyone who would go to homicide about it. Unless alcohol was there. Or meth or crack. Or a woman.
Or a pair of tennis shoes.

An he walked the line. Tall with long legs,no boot problems for him.

Latest posts