One Nut Wonder ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a 600# bull with one nut. Not much sack there, more of a bulge. I am sure I can get a big band above it but not sure it that is the best idea. Is there a drainage or healing issue?

Unless he was banded and one was left I agree there is another one. Feel along the belly in front of the sack.
I think a band would be risky. I left one of my calves a bull because of the way one side laid up inside of him Even if I had banded the one that had dropped he would have basically still been a bull. Will butcher him later.

I have a 600# bull with one nut. Not much sack there, more of a bulge. I am sure I can get a big band above it but not sure it that is the best idea. Is there a drainage or healing issue?

Banding bulls over 500 lbs carries a higher risk of tetanus than cutting, I would cut him before banding him. Banding a 600 lb bull with an abnormal testicle could result in a drainage/healing issue if banded and another reason to cut rather than band.

A. Take him to the sale barn asap and sell him as a bull as is.
B. Cut him, but odds are the 2nd nut is trapped up in the abdominal cavity and still won't come down. I've been lucky enough to be able to gently help it to descend and cut both... but in my case it was just dumb luck.

If you remove just one nut and leave an undescended testicle he will still develop secondary male sex traits and be a stag.
Stags sell for about a 30% dock. Sell him before he turns staggy.

Last edited:
Banding bulls over 500 lbs carries a higher risk of tetanus than cutting, I would cut him before banding him. Banding a 600 lb bull with an abnormal testicle could result in a drainage/healing issue if banded and another reason to cut rather than band.

A. Take him to the sale barn asap and sell him as a bull as is.
B. Cut him, but odds are the 2nd nut is trapped up in the abdominal cavity and still won't come down. I've been lucky enough to be able to gently help it to descend and cut both... but in my case it was just dumb luck.

If you remove just one nut and leave an undescended testicle he will still develop secondary male sex traits and be a stag.
Stags sell for about a 30% dock. Sell him before he turns staggy.
This! Took a beating a few years ago. Buyers can spot a stag.

Didn't want to do surgery to remove the other nut at weaning, so pulled him & weaned separately at the barn. And by "weaned", I waited a couple days until he stopped bawling & hauled him to the sale as a single. Was upfront he was a stag, but auctioneer didn't mention it when he went through the ring - he didn't have to.

Latest posts