one more photo (bull)

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
What about this bull, 36 months old...last one....I promise. Hit me....please :oops:

IMG_1772_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

NCM :shock:

NCM have I told you how nice your family looked in the pictue with your boys? :) You and your husband sure have the family deal going your way.

ollie'":mundtt60 said:
NCM have I told you how nice your family looked in the pictue with your boys? :) You and your husband sure have the family deal going your way.

Thanks! I just thought I would throw this one out......I don't expect ANY good reviews...... :oops: :roll: Will either bring horrible comments or none at all....

Well NCM, from what I've seen of your posts, you can buy better bulls than what you've pictured. This bull is green as a gourd but I think he could use more muscle expression, more bone, more level from hooks to pins and probably just more overall mass. He has a level top and underline. He apprears to have enough gut for his size and has a decent front for a 3yr old bull. I personally like them stouter but he shouldn't pose any problems for heifers and that's important to alot of people.

ollie is right you can buy better for sure. but of the two you have posted this bull would be the better choice for your type herd

NewCowboy":vz9x7yvg said:
What about this bull, 36 months old...last one....I promise. Hit me....please :oops:

IMG_1772_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

Yes you can buy better bulls. A better bull will turn your herd around in short order. Plan to purchase the best bull you can afford. A rule thumb is to estamiate the combined value of your top three cows and plan to spend at least that amount on a bull. The calves he produces should be better than the cows from which they were born.
Since you like Brangus try Camp Cooley Ranch (Brinks) bulls. I know for a fact they will turn most herds around fast. I purchased one from Brinks and it made all the difference in the world. The calves were uniform with low birth weights and hit the ground growing. They had good muscle and outstanding heifers for keepers.
Good luck

sillco":2epv5cnk said:
NewCowboy":2epv5cnk said:

IMG_1772_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

Yes you can buy better bulls. A better bull will turn your herd around in short order. Plan to purchase the best bull you can afford. A rule thumb is to estamiate the combined value of your top three cows and plan to spend at least that amount on a bull. The calves he produces should be better than the cows from which they were born.
Since you like Brangus try Camp Cooley Ranch (Brinks) bulls. I know for a fact they will turn most herds around fast. I purchased one from Brinks and it made all the difference in the world. The calves were uniform with low birth weights and hit the ground growing. They had good muscle and outstanding heifers for keepers.
Good luck

Camp Cooley Ranch is having their Customer Appreciation Sale this Saturday, April 1, 2006 at Franklin, Texas. Go to http://www.campcooley.com to see their offering

looks like a steer, no offence just my opinion :) maybe it is a bad photo :( go buy a Salers or charolaise bull, stumpy black bulls just dont produce good calves. ;-)

Ya know, I have been around cattle all my life and I feel like I can usually pickout what looks good and what doesn't. I'm by no means an expert on cattle, but in general I know my way around them. I am starting my own herd and have considered posting pictures several times because I am proud that they are mine, bought and paid for, I built the fences, working pens, built up my pastures and everything else that goes with it on my own. The reason I have yet to do so is because I now there are some on here that no matter what will slam your animals. I think some of the older non-hobby cattlemen here think they must answer with harsh, grumpy old man type answers. I know owning cattle is not easy and alot of people think just buying something that runs thru the salebarn and sticking it in their backyard makes them a rancher. I know alot of people should never own cattle, but some make honest mistakes and I think it's the responsibility of the seasoned ranchers to at least lend good solid advice. I could personally care less what someone on the internet says about my cattle but I also refuse to set myself up for it. I never mind constructive critisism, on cattle, my work , my life anything, but I wish some would tone it down some. Not necessarily sugar coat it but at least be more corigible(SP?).

I do agree though if you got bad cattle and you post them up for comments you should be ready to take it on the chin but like I said I think "some" try to hard to be hard cases.
Sorry for the rant it just seems like its gotten alittle out of hand here lately when people ask for comments.

OK I'm off my soapbox. :cboy:

thats the sad part of the people that post them don't know what to look for or what not too and get bashed but sometime there aint no other way but to jolt them to reality ;-)

Not everybody is going to like a pic of every breed.
If you post a pic and ask for opinions your gonna get some negative. I should know. Very few here like my chosen breed.

That's why when I do post one, its under the heading of Longhorn. Even then breeders in that category aren't all going to like something about them.

You have to have a tough hide here.

All these "What do you think posts" have really gotten out of hand. If you're going to post a picture and you want some honest feedback - then you really need to set some parameters. For example - how many cows are you running, what do you do with your calves, are you purebred, percentage, crossbred ?. I guess the real question is "What is your goal with this animal ?" Big difference between calving 4-5 just to keep the grass down at the old home place and someone that is looking to get some show quality offspring.
That's my $.02 worth (and it might be overpriced at that !).

I have seen some pretty harsh threads on here before, but usually the ones were people post a picture of their animals are for the most part accurate from what I can see. We have a thread out there right now from a big time beginner that just wants pets, but people made good comments about their cattle they bought. If it is a good one people will say so, if it is a bad one people will also say so. If it is so so, people will generally let you know this also.

I find the comments on pictures to be very honest and in line with the pictures. If your animal looks better than that picture then make sure you take better pictures. Usually the real harshness comes when the person posting the picture likes their animal and the others do not. Or the animal is wayyyyy to bad of a specimen to ever have a picture taken of it.

I have gotten where I rarely comment on a bull picture posted unless the poster is arrogant or might need a little advice and seems like good people. If I was too harsh NCM I apologize. I don't go around running down bulls from a mother and son . I tried to show what I liked and what I disliked about the bull and tried to be specific thinking you might pick up a pointer or two. Sorry if it didn't come across that way.
If someone flys in here saying theirs is the greatest bull on earth...I can be tempted , for the rest of the bulls, if you want my opinion, pm me.

aplusmnt":2i4a6vwr said:
I have seen some pretty harsh threads on here before, but usually the ones were people post a picture of their animals are for the most part accurate from what I can see. We have a thread out there right now from a big time beginner that just wants pets, but people made good comments about their cattle they bought. If it is a good one people will say so, if it is a bad one people will also say so. If it is so so, people will generally let you know this also.

I find the comments on pictures to be very honest and in line with the pictures. If your animal looks better than that picture then make sure you take better pictures. Usually the real harshness comes when the person posting the picture likes their animal and the others do not. Or the animal is wayyyyy to bad of a specimen to ever have a picture taken of it.

I agree it's just a select few people over do it in my opinion. Or maybe they try to over do it on purpose, :???: who knows but them?

J":1b63ewrm said:
la4angus":1b63ewrm said:
NewCowboy":1b63ewrm said:
What about this bull, 36 months old...:
Is this not a TYPO and supposed to be 16 mo.
Sorry about that J.My mistake for putting 36 mo instead of 16 mo.

:???: I guess I'm missing something? Doesn't those two say the same thing?
Looks like I made the typo. He looks more like 16 mo than 36 mo.

Latest posts