On the subject of hay balers, and getting one's hay rolled....

Help Support CattleToday:

Folks in our county than run the largest herd of commercial momma cows (around 800) don't even own an R series tractor. Matter of fact, I don't think they own a tractor that's less than 10 years old. And they also row crop around 3000 acres. I'm not jealous, and I wish everyone success. I just don't see how some folks do what they do.

JMJ Farms said:
Folks in our county than run the largest herd of commercial momma cows (around 800) don't even own an R series tractor. Matter of fact, I don't think they own a tractor that's less than 10 years old. And they also row crop around 3000 acres. I'm not jealous, and I wish everyone success. I just don't see how some folks do what they do.

Work smarter not harder perhaps?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
JMJ Farms said:

A lot of it has to do with what you can afford, and what your willing to spend. I finance my cattle operation through other means, there's no way my cattle can pay for my equipment.

************* said:
M-5 said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
I didn't see much that was impressive. Kicking a bale out in under a minute your baling hay.

Now, now rbb, how else is someone supposed to show off and brag and look down their nose at the minions without posting a link to try and generate traffic.

Minions? Bragging? Cmon RBB and M-5, a commercial guy in my county who has 800+ head of cattle runs 3 R series bigger than mine, a couple of MoCo's and a couple of balers also bigger than mine, he also tubes it all. He doesn't even own Angus, LOL!

He makes my setup look like garden equipment.

Maybe I can film him in action if you want to see something brag worthy.
Branded just where did you see me mention any thing about your operation minions or bragging? You didn't. We will bale around 1500 bales on hay leases I have this year. We run two cutters and try to knock down around 80 acres a day. We use 5ton army 6x6 with 45 foot flatbed semi trailers to move hay. We cross either the creek or the Buffalo River when water will dang near run over those flatbeds. At one time I think I posted pictures of us hauling across the Buffalo. I don't care how many R series deeres your neighbor runs or how many cows he runs. Its not bragging if you can do it.

Red Bull Breeder said:
************* said:
M-5 said:
Now, now rbb, how else is someone supposed to show off and brag and look down their nose at the minions without posting a link to try and generate traffic.

Minions? Bragging? Cmon RBB and M-5, a commercial guy in my county who has 800+ head of cattle runs 3 R series bigger than mine, a couple of MoCo's and a couple of balers also bigger than mine, he also tubes it all. He doesn't even own Angus, LOL!

Branded just where did you see me mention any thing about your operation minions or bragging? You didn't. We will bale around 1500 bales on hay leases I have this year. We run two cutters and try to knock down around 80 acres a day. We use 5ton army 6x6 with 45 foot flatbed semi trailers to move hay. We cross either the creek or the Buffalo River when water will dang near run over those flatbeds. At one time I think I posted pictures of us hauling across the Buffalo. I don't care how many R series deeres your neighbor runs or how many cows he runs. Its not bragging if you can do it.

My hats off to you, that is hard work, and that's a significant amount of hay.

The guy I mentioned is very humble, drives a Chevy flatbed from the 80's, you would never know he is running the operation that he does.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
JMJ Farms said:

I definitely agree with that thinking. And I try to implement it as much as possible. But sometimes it just doesn't work as good as it sounds. And, then again, sometimes it must.

I have 3 possible scenarios.

1) Good decisions and a little luck over the course of many years.
2) A healthy start provided by someone else that worked hard and left it as an inheritance.
3) Debt. (Not necessarily meaning in a bad way. Though it could be)

************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
************* said:

My hats off to you, that is hard work, and that's a significant amount of hay.

The guy I mentioned is very humble, drives a Chevy flatbed from the 80's, you would never know he is running the operation that he does.

Sounds like a good role model. Do you need a pad and pen to take notes?????

Red Bull Breeder said:
************* said:
M-5 said:

We use to have a 6x6 with a 20' grain bed on it. Use to cross creeks fully loaded with corn. One time the combine got stuck shelling corn, so we pulled the truck up to it and unloaded it. Then pulled the combine out with the loaded truck.
Those were some trucks.

Largest cow calf guy here does not own a piece of hay eqt. buys it all 900 mommas. I don't see how he comes up with it each year but he does all local. My family makes a little hay, has some cows, we even still grow a little burley. You will not find us on youtube!

Love John Deere! That baler could easily handle a double raked row. This is my rake it's a Darf, the best rake ever made and is what I use. https://postimg.cc/ZvYxJwQQ

Richnm said:
Love John Deere! That baler could easily handle a double raked row. This is my rake it's a Darf, the best rake ever made and is what I use. https://postimg.cc/ZvYxJwQQ

I want!!!

That alfalfa looks awesome. That's what it is right?

littletom said:
Largest cow calf guy here does not own a piece of hay eqt. buys it all 900 mommas. I don't see how he comes up with it each year but he does all local. My family makes a little hay, has some cows, we even still grow a little burley. You will not find us on youtube!

A guy does the same here, but he's totally at the mercy of his hay producer. I'm a control freak when it comes to hay. Not taking any chances. When a LOT of our county was singing the "I ain't got no hay" blues this past winter, and was being taken to the cleaners by those who were selling rotten hay, I was prepared. I bought a small amount early last spring, but only used it towards the very end.

I run all old. iron at home and put up a decent amount of small squares. At work however I run a 7310r and a Hesston big square baler, and in that field in your video I'd be running about 20mph and thinking about what a waste of time and $$ it was.

Looks like some adjustments need to be made. I'd not like to leave that much hay on the ground. Can you get a mega wide pickup on those tiny little balers? Or hay saver wheels? Or narrow up the windrow?
Was that crop cut with a self propelled machine? Either way, everyone around here generally makes about 6 rounds around many of their fields first, then bales the outside rounds before cutting the rest. Sometimes depending on circumstances we do the outside rounds then tromp on them to cut the rest of the field. If raked while still some moisture little damage is done.
In a perfect world I like to cut my outside rounds, wilt them, bale them and wrap them in plastic.

sim.-ang.king said:
I'm just jealous you can make dry hay. Doesn't look like we will get any done for another week, or maybe two.
Ought to be good and done by then. :cry2: :lol:

You're not the only one jealous. We are still saturated here with rain in the forecast for the next 5 days atleast. I believe this first cutting is going to be some coarse hay :x

Silver said:
Looks like some adjustments need to be made. I'd not like to leave that much hay on the ground. Can you get a mega wide pickup on those tiny little balers? Or hay saver wheels? Or narrow up the windrow?
Was that crop cut with a self propelled machine? Either way, everyone around here generally makes about 6 rounds around many of their fields first, then bales the outside rounds before cutting the rest. Sometimes depending on circumstances we do the outside rounds then tromp on them to cut the rest of the field. If raked while still some moisture little damage is done.
In a perfect world I like to cut my outside rounds, wilt them, bale them and wrap them in plastic.

It was cut with a mower conditioner.

We had 20-25 MPH winds that day blowing the windrows everywhere. After we were finished baling, if I were to have picked up every last blade left on the field, it would have barely made a single bale, so not sure what you are talking about. I don't waste what is cut.

ohiosteve said:
I run all old. iron at home and put up a decent amount of small squares. At work however I run a 7310r and a Hesston big square baler, and in that field in your video I'd be running about 20mph and thinking about what a waste of time and $$ it was.

That field looks nice and flat from above, but you would be picking up parts of your tractor and baler if you ran 20 mph over it, in fact I would love to make a video of that very thing, with you coming out of your seat and hitting the roof of your cab. You don't drive tractors fast on my place unless you intend on destroying them quickly. Maybe tracks would fix the issue?

Latest posts