On the subject of hay balers, and getting one's hay rolled....

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5 said:
Not much hay . Waste of fuel

You can bet my raker would of been putting 2 wind rows together. She doesn't play, and knows it's cheaper to run a rake twice than a baler. But cost isn't a consideration in that operation, and yes I'm jealous.

True Grit Farms said:
M-5 said:
Not much hay . Waste of fuel

You can bet my raker would of been putting 2 wind rows together. She doesn't play, and knows it's cheaper to run a rake twice than a baler. But cost isn't a consideration in that operation, and yes I'm jealous.

That needs 3 maybe 4 windrows combined

Big shot of fertilizer a month ago would of helped things along.
Wet winters mean you need more fertilizer in the spring.

I'm just jealous you can make dry hay. Doesn't look like we will get any done for another week, or maybe two.
Ought to be good and done by then. :cry2: :lol:

sim.-ang.king said:

I'm just jealous you can make dry hay. Doesn't look like we will get any done for another week, or maybe two.

You would think a bto would know that.

M-5 said:
sim.-ang.king said:

You would think a bto would know that.

I wish this STO could afford to buy more fert like a BTO could.

sim.-ang.king said:

You are absolutely right, and there is more work to do on that field. If not too late I may put lime and fertilizer down next week. If I don't get it done, there's next year to improve.

Hay season here is a stressful one, many people had hay on the ground and suddenly the forecast showed thunderstorms, and some were rained on. I don't like to go back and try to salvage wet hay with a tedder, because I think the hay loses a lot of quality. I also usually double up those windrows, but with high 80 degree weather, 20 mph winds and a very short window to get it done, I tried to keep it where it could dry faster. Might not make sense, but the clock was ticking fast and I put down a decent amount of hay, at least for me.

Drying out hay in my area is a challenge where it once was not. The windows for dry hay are tight, even with using a conditioner. I know a top hay producer who makes me look like a complete novice and last year he lost over 65 acres because a strong storm suddenly popped up. He rolled it up and sold it for $10 a roll, it basically became worthless.

Red Bull Breeder said:
I didn't see much that was impressive. Kicking a bale out in under a minute your baling hay.

Now, now rbb, how else is someone supposed to show off and brag and look down their nose at the minions without posting a link to try and generate traffic.

M-5 said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
I didn't see much that was impressive. Kicking a bale out in under a minute your baling hay.

Now, now rbb, how else is someone supposed to show off and brag and look down there nose at the next minions without posting a link to try and generate traffic.

Ingenious. Is that what you've been doing all these years? You have put up a fair number of pictures. You actually sell hay too IIRC.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
M-5 said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Now, now rbb, how else is someone supposed to show off and brag and look down there nose at the next minions without posting a link to try and generate traffic.

Ingenious. Is that what you've been doing all these years? You have put up a fair number of pictures. You actually sell hay too IIRC.
I don't sell hay to CT members.

If I get time in the next few days I might get a video or two of folks baling hay. I don't think its hardly thick enough for a bale a minute some of it will get close.

M-5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
M-5 said:

I don't sell hay to CT members.

Neither does Branded.

M-5 said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Now, now rbb, how else is someone supposed to show off and brag and look down their nose at the minions without posting a link to try and generate traffic.

Minions? Bragging? Cmon RBB and M-5, a commercial guy in my county who has 800+ head of cattle runs 3 R series bigger than mine, a couple of MoCo's and a couple of balers also bigger than mine, he also tubes it all. He doesn't even own Angus, LOL!

He makes my setup look like garden equipment.

Maybe I can film him in action if you want to see something brag worthy.

Latest posts